Coffee

Options
Giving up coffee has been the hardest part of this. I only drink water so coffee is my soft drink, tea and wine in a manner of speaking. The first day (Monday) I ended up with such a bad headache I couldn't see out of one eye. Yes, a migraine was forming. I know this speaks volumes about my addiction but I only drink decaf after the first cup. Obviously decaf isn't really decaf but has EVERYONE given up coffee? For those that haven't (be honest) has it made a difference in your weight loss or stalled it? Come on friends! Help an addict out. My name is Tena and I am a cofeeaholic. There I said it!:drinker:

Replies

• michellyn
    michellyn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee sporadically--some days I drink one cup, occasionally, I have none, but lately, I've been having 3-4 cups a day. I knew it was going to bring on headaches, so I quit two days early. The first day, sure enough, I got a headache--so after an hour or so, I drank a diet Dr. Pepper, which of course has caffeine, but not nearly as much as coffee. That just took the edge off my headache, but made the next day with nothing a gentle step, so I have felt fine since.

I'm one of those odd people who doesn't stay awake better with coffee. When I had to study late at night and such, coffee could actually make me feel sleepier! So, I don't feel a huge difference without it; it's more the enjoyment of the taste that I like. When I finish the diet, I think I'm going to restrict my coffee drinking to times when I'm out, so it will probably be once a week or less. I want to view it as a dessert more than a beverage. I never realized that caffeine can mess up your metabolism!
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have to be to work at 5:30 am, so Coffee was a staple for me! I gave it up and I had to suffer with a mild headach for one day. I really want to try and follow all of her suggestions in the book, especially since it's only for 28 days. Although I will probably have to do this for at least 3 months or so to get to my goal.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am seriously addicted to coffee, I worked at Starbucks for years so that tells you I am dedicated to a good cup. I am so serious about coffee I actually special order it from Italy, no joke so I feel your pain sister. If given the choice between giving up coffee or food I'd rather not eat. The only time I gave it up was during my pregnancies as caffeine isn't good for the baby. Only a mothers love could make me give it up, nothing else, but I tried this plan Thursday and Friday last week and gave up coffee cold turkey, big mistake I wound up in the fetal position wishing to die. The third day my husband said this was ridiculous and he was going to hold me down and shoot coffee into my veins lol. So I went off plan but I really didn't prepare myself I ordered the book online and still haven't received it so I was going off the app which is a little flawed and I didn't go grocery shopping so I was eating what I had so needless to say I didn't set myself up for success.

This is what I'm doing, I am waiting for the book (hopefully I get it today) to read thru and really understand the program. Then going shopping to stock my favorite on plan foods. Then planning my meals according and will be starting Monday 4/22/13. I also gave myself this week to wean off the coffee, and guess what I'm down to 1/3 cup a day :) that's from 2-3 strong cups a day a week ago. I feel like I am setting myself up for success and cannot wait to start fresh Monday.
  • Phatchick777
    Options
    I totally agree giving up caffeine has been the hardest part of this plan/diet. I had a headache for 3 days. Today no headache, so I am making progress. But I am still tired and groggy all morning. i start to feel normal about 3p everyday. I am hoping this changes as the month goes on.

What are people using instead of coffee. I cannot get any satisfaction from the herbal teas i have tried. I welcome any suggestions.

Sharon
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Caffix is good, I found it at my local health store and you can get it online. I'm down to 1/3 cup coffee and fill it with 2/3 caffix. Tastes pretty good.
  • tenagreear
    Options
    I have not given up coffee. I do not have a cup first thing in the morning since that is a big no no but I do drink a cup after I have been at work for a couple of hours. I don't drink full decaf. I usually do half caff the first cup and then go to decaf. I will also have a decaf cup in the afternoon. I am down 4.4 lbs and today was my first day on phase 3. As long as it's working I will keep my coffee.
  • PghPammy
    PghPammy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I don't think caffeine messes up your metabolism in small amount (1 or 2 cups a day). I thought the reason she restricts it during the diet is more to give your liver etc a break from processing non-nutritive food. I like a good cup in the morning but can give it up. Actually I have before.....only started drinking again I'm the last year when I discovered the joys of Keurig (hubby and I prefer very different roasts). I'm more worried about giving up my daily Greek yogurt, lol
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I didnt give up coffee, if I done that I would be miserable and would fail at this diet. It didnt make a difference to my weightloss.
  • jturner0219
    Options
    I'm not giving up coffee! I think this would just be too hard for me if I gave up coffee, too! But I am trying to limit myself to one cup a day. (I also messed up phase 2 today -- I didn't realize tomatoes were a no-no until I got to work...and that was the only veggie snack I brought!. But I don't have the book yet, just the app! Hopefully the rules will be clearer once I read the book!).
  • PghPammy
    Options
    Even though I only am a one cup in the morning drinker, I'm on day 3 no caffeine and day 2 of horrible migraine. I don't know if it correlates (I don't recall getting a headache last time I gave it up. Maybe cause that was more gradual - I just realized one day I wasn't finishing my cup and decided to quit wasting it). If this migraine doesn't calm down by tomorrow, I'm having a cup of Yerba Matte tea.
  • PghPammy
    Options
    I didnt give up coffee, if I done that I would be miserable and would fail at this diet. It didnt make a difference to my weightloss.

Kelly how do you know if you can't compare your weight loss w/o caffeine? You may have lost even more. If we aren't following her rules, IMHO we aren't following the diet.
  • moyerpsu
    moyerpsu Posts: 2
    Options
    Giving up coffee is hard, but I really want to follow the rules 100% for the 28 days and see the results. It is day 3 and the headache is still haunting me. The wine makes me sad, too, but the coffee is worse. But, a significant weight loss and the satisfaction that I can do it, will be worth it. At least, that is what I'm telling myself.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee but did give up my 2 - 3 cans of Diet Pepsi that I have drunk for years. That's worse than coffee because of all the artificial sweetener and stuff.

I find it interesting that Bob from the Biggest Loser was on Dr. Oz today touting his plan and he says to drink coffee before each meal! He also only allows you 800 calories a day though so go figure.

There is so much conflicting information out there. On Dr. Oz alone you can get a different opinion each day of the week.

I hope to never go back to my diet Pepsi but it's unrealistic to think that I will never have one again.
  • Staci415
    Staci415 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was a 3-4 cups a day drinker of coffee and I used sweet n low and equal...I have not given it up all together but I am down to one cup in the morning with steevia. This is a HUGE accomplishment for me. I hope to wean off all together but for now I will stick to this...trust me my 3 kids thank me each morning!!

My truly hard part will be the Deliciously tempting wine.....on the weekends we have a couple glasses usually with friends, since this is my first upcoming weekend I am not so much looking forward to missing out on it, but then again, its not forever!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

Kelly how do you know if you can't compare your weight loss w/o caffeine? You may have lost even more. If we aren't following her rules, IMHO we aren't following the diet.

Well, maybe and maybe not! I havnt lost weight in a year and losing 5 lbs so far is where I like it. I really dont beleive in completely cutting everything out. Its a cup of coffee not the end of the world.
  • tenagreear
    Options
    I completely agree!