Good Night & Sleep tight...bed bugs bite... 4/24

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
This challenge is on me! This is no joke...as any new parent and they could write a disertation on the good and BAD of sleep!
DO NOT take sleep for granted! If you do not get enough not only does your health, workout suffer but how well you function at work and in relationships! Read these two articles!

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/excessive-sleepiness-10/lack-of-sleep-weight-gain

http://www.livestrong.com/sleep-health/

Ha! I am not to late for this challenge! You do this one TONIGHT!!!! (wink wink) Get your 8 hours!

Peace,
WW

Replies

• TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    wil try but I can't tell you when the last time was that I had 8 hours... 5 if I'm lucky!!
  • vickilynnbillings
    vickilynnbillings Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Now that's a challenge. I'm something of an insomniac....sleeping through the night is something I wish I could do. Melatonin helps sometimes but not always. Hoping that becoming more active will make a big difference in the future. But I will try
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    The 8 hours thing is a good standard, but your sleeps cycles are probably just as important. Sleep cycles generally run every 90 minutes.

http://sleepyti.me/
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from experience what happens when you do not get enough sleep. It was ugly! Thank God I grasped this concept. I make sure I sleep now.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I rarely sleep all night, I'm lucky if I can get 5 hours without waking up or even 5 hours broken up over the course of the night. About the only time I can sleep longer is at my parents house (I don't think they'll let me move back in, plus they live 3.5 hours away now) it seems to be a feeling of security, I'm more secure there, but being single and living alone, I'm less secure so I sleep lighter and wake up at the slightest sound... have tried lots of things to fix this but nothing's working so far
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Well, all I can tell you is, you know it is bad when you fall asleep at the red light and it felt like you slept an hour in just 4 seconds! Dangerous!
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    My Bodymedia Armband has shown that I don't sleep like I think I do. It shows that I'm 'awake' in the middle of the night. My doctor wants to see if it is still happening after I lose some weight. If it is, then we are going to do some sleep tests to see what is really going on. It was very eye opening to learn that I don't sleep a night through.
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I must have been psychic -- I went to bed last night at 10:00 and slept straight through to my alarm!! Not quite going to make 8 hours tonight, but between the two nights I will average over 8. :wink:
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    Sadly, I rarely sleep all night, I'm lucky if I can get 5 hours without waking up or even 5 hours broken up over the course of the night. About the only time I can sleep longer is at my parents house (I don't think they'll let me move back in, plus they live 3.5 hours away now) it seems to be a feeling of security, I'm more secure there, but being single and living alone, I'm less secure so I sleep lighter and wake up at the slightest sound... have tried lots of things to fix this but nothing's working so far

I can think of only three solutions for this, other than moving back home:

1. Get a gun and learn to use it. If you're confident with your gun skills and you have one in the house it can provide a strong feeling of safety. If you just own one and don't know how to use it you can usually end up more scared than if you never had one. You have to learn to use it.

2. Get a big, cuddly, lazy guard dog. They're warm, always love you, and will eat the face off anyone who breaks in...or if it's too cuddly, it'll just lick their face off. Big dogs scare bad guys. They also provide a solid sense of security.

3. Get a live-in boyfriend/girlfriend that you trust as much as your own father. It's not the home that provides the familiarity so much as its the people in it. They're the ones that provide the feeling of security, which I'm guessing is why you have problems sleeping alone.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Ok - according to my armband - I went to bed at 10 and I was up at 6 - that should be 8 hours but - I was awake a few time so I actually only slept 6 hours & 27 minutes last night. I just may go back to my doc sooner than a year though the fall isn't too far off.

And Aackaackaack - I like your common sense posts. I do know that my husband makes me feel very secure and he didn't come home last night until after 10. For some reason, our little dog was uneasy last night and he had me sleeping on edge too since that's not his normal behavior. And our neighbors don't lock their doors. I would never be able to sleep if our doors weren't locked well. But once hubby came home, both I and the dog relaxed and went to sleep. All was well in our world after he came home.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options

I can think of only three solutions for this, other than moving back home:

1. Get a gun and learn to use it. If you're confident with your gun skills and you have one in the house it can provide a strong feeling of safety. If you just own one and don't know how to use it you can usually end up more scared than if you never had one. You have to learn to use it.

2. Get a big, cuddly, lazy guard dog. They're warm, always love you, and will eat the face off anyone who breaks in...or if it's too cuddly, it'll just lick their face off. Big dogs scare bad guys. They also provide a solid sense of security.

3. Get a live-in boyfriend/girlfriend that you trust as much as your own father. It's not the home that provides the familiarity so much as its the people in it. They're the ones that provide the feeling of security, which I'm guessing is why you have problems sleeping alone.
    Mr Aaak,
    Lisa messaged me to be sure that I got your wonderful message of caring for me!:flowerforyou:
    Here's the thing I have #1 and know how to use it, thankfully I have a family full of rednecks and my uncle gave me a .38 when I got my CCW and said when ever I want to practice to head on up for a visit and he'll make sure I have all the ammo I need to practice as long as I want- I also have two boxes of ammo and the .38 is loaded with steel tip bullets and resides beside my bed unless I'm travelling (it is locked up during the day and it is locked up, bullets removed and both are hidden in separate locked locations while I'm gone)
    #2 I would LOVE to have a big dog (while growing up, we had two St Bernards, I love them and would love to have another... almost better than having a German Shepard!) problem is I live in a condo which does not allow pets over 25 lbs and because of the type of job I do my schedule is not very dog friendly, so I have two cats (sshhhh, don't tell, we're only allowed one pet, but I had the cats before I moved in and I'm not the type that will give up one just because of where I live... I actually told my realtor that not being able to have both my cats is a deal breaker, so she talked to the board and got me permission to have both of them, but once they're gone, I have to adhere to the one pet under 25 rule)
    #3 A female roommate is impossible I have a one bedroom 645 sq foot condo (I own it for the next 30 years of my refinanced mortgage or as long as it takes to pay off my mortgage) so there is not room for two females in that small of a space. I live in boyfriend (leading to marriage) would be great, except the male population appears not to be interested in me (I'd ask if you were applying for the position, but I think Mrs. Aaak would take great offense to that :happy: )
    Thank you so much for caring enough to post these suggestions and if you have any more, please feel free to pass them on!
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    I'd ask if you were applying for the position, but I think Mrs. Aaak would take great offense to that :happy:

Most likely she'd laugh and think you were joking, because nobody in their right mind could love someone who looks like me. (And after taking shirtless progress pics last night I would have to agree.)

Ask me again in three years when the kidlet is out of high school. There's a high possibility I'll be single again around that time. :wink:

And maybe rearrange your bedroom to make it feel more familiar?