Fingernails Chipping/Peeling After Treatment

Options
Putcake
Putcake Posts: 93 Member
I seem to be plagued with all sorts of side effect after chemo - I finished my last round in January and I thought I was in the clear. But one thing that's been happening for the last month or so is that the top layer of my fingernails chip and peel at the end of the nail. Has anyone else had this? I have to keep my nails really short and the minute they start to grow, they peel and chip.

I have tried some liquid nail hardener, but it seems to work for a few days and then if I don't re-apply it, it wears off easily, even after 2 coats. Maybe that's because I type on a keyboard all day?

I'm currently on the following meds (maybe one of those is the cause?): Trental 400 mg, Vitamin E 400 IU, Multivitamin, Effexor 75 mg daily.

My hair is growing back, I'm feeling really good and this is a little thing, but it's just frustrating! Any thoughts would be appreciated :smile:

Replies

• jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I didn't have chipping or peeling - I actually had acrylic over my nails and I started to get mold - never happned before all these years I've had acrylic. I had to remove acrylic and cut nails down really short and it took them forever to grow back.

I know chemo kills fast growing cells - which also includes your hair and nails.

I have found one product that worked soooo well for me it's not cheap and it's just a little pricey 12.00 a bottle it's called Nailtiques formula 2 plus. I've seen it in CVS . It stops the peeling and chipping and it made my nails really strong.

Hope that helps!
  • atoz133
    atoz133 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm going to give that Nailtiques stuff a try :smile:
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I will have to look for the Nailtiques at the store - it's worth the money if it fixes the problem! :smile:

I'm trying to be patient, but since I feel so much better than I did a few months ago, it's tough for my brain not to understand why the rest of my body won't catch up!
  • AbdicoVeritas
    Options
    My nails have become very brittle as well and I can count the rounds of chemo I've gone through by the rings in them. My guess is those rings are caused by the nasty chemicals growing into the nails and weakening them (or the structure being altered by the meds) and this causes their brittleness. So I'm guessing it just has to 'grow out' before your nails get back to being healthy :)
    Judging by the number of lines on my nails that'd take about 4 or 5 months...