Squatting is a pain in my hip

Options
Dancerten
Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
More specifically, my left hip flexor. I'm currently squatting 115lbs and adding 5lbs every TWO workouts (to give myself a little extra time to get used to the weight). I understand the muscles around my hips are a little weaker than they should be, since before starting SL, I had been doing chair squats instead of full squats; but, I'm only getting pain (a dull, achy throb) in my left hip flexor. This leads me to suspect that I may have strained something... Or is it normal to have asymmetrical muscle soreness after a workout?

My real question, however, is: Should I --

A. Take a few days off from SL and see how I feel after that
B. Just remove the squat from my SL workouts for a few days and continue with the other lifts
C. Continue with the SL program but significantly reduce my squat weight and work my way back up
D. Alternative suggestion?

Thanks!

Edited to add: I don't feel like the pain is significant enough to warrant a trip to the doctor yet; it's just irritating.

Replies

• F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I too get pain in my left leg. Left leg slightly weaker than my right. My PT showed me how to get some deep stretches and foam rolling my quads and hip flexors has significantly helped
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I agree with stepping up the mobility work.

Also go easy on the weight increase so that all your muscles and ligaments get a chance to adapt and catch up. What your body is doing and telling you should always override what some progress spreadsheet/app/program says to do. Of course, make sure your form stays good and always choose form over weight progression.
  • sphira
    sphira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I too had the same issue with my hip flexor. I did squats without any weights for a week and took a week off. During that time I really focused on form and mobility work. The time off really helped, I started back up with just the bar and adding 5 pounds as I felt ready and as along as my form was good.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Every since I had a spell with sciatic pain in my left hip, I do "sciatic hip stretches' before activities ( lifting, rock climbing, broomball, etc...)
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I too had the same issue with my hip flexor. I did squats without any weights for a week and took a week off. During that time I really focused on form and mobility work. The time off really helped, I started back up with just the bar and adding 5 pounds as I felt ready and as along as my form was good.

i pretty much did this, too. didn't go to no weight, but seriously backed off on the weight. it was my left. hmmm...guess this is pretty common!!
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me too....left side also. I usually felt the "pain" when I dropped too low in the squat. I ended up taking some time off. I was afraid of hurting myself further. It took 3 weeks before it felt better.

I'm just getting back to SL. This time I plan to increase my weight more slowly.
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem but my right hip was the culprit. I figured out, after watching a great hip hinge video posted in this grouo, that I wasn't hingeing corrextly! As soon as I made more of a conscious effort there, the pain subsided.

I had the pain for about a fortnight and was about to consult my GP but gave the video a look and voila! No hip pain :)
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem but my right hip was the culprit. I figured out, after watching a great hip hinge video posted in this grouo, that I wasn't hingeing corrextly! As soon as I made more of a conscious effort there, the pain subsided.

I had the pain for about a fortnight and was about to consult my GP but gave the video a look and voila! No hip pain :)

Do you know where to find that video? Would love to watch it to prevent another injury.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    If you search "Hip Hinge Video" in this group it should come up. I posted it probably about 4 weeks ago now.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Just thought I would add, I had hip pain as well, and I totally fixed the issue by widening my stance more and making sure my toes were pointed out. (I know this is a little late sorry.)
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sorry for the late response, I kinda forgot that I had even posted this lol. I wish MFP would notify you when someone replies to your post...

Anyway, I ended up just taking a week off from lifting and that really seemed to help. Also, i have widened my stance slightly and that has made a big difference in my comfort too. In fact I finally made it to 135lbs today!! I feel like I'm finally in the big leagues lol! :happy:

Thanks again for all of your support and suggestions!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I just saved the video to watch later. I've been having the same issue in my bad hip. Thank you!