Q's about moving to Dallas! Help appreciated =]

Options
LaurenRosePR
LaurenRosePR Posts: 84 Member
I was in Dallas this past weekend, and visited/job-shadowed at a company I really want to work for after I graduate! I have looked on other online forums, but was wondering if anyone has any advice about where to live, hangout, what's fun, etc. Also, if anyone knows any websites that will help me learn a bit more about the area, that would be great, too!

If I end up moving there, it will be in May and I'll be a young professional- so any places where a lot of other young professionals or 20's and 30's hang out would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I dont know much about the DFW area but I have heard it is a happening place. If you ever want to hit up the ATX just drop me a line and I can show you around. The popular is of course 6th street but Austin has much more to offer then live music and liquor. We are not a bunch of drunken cowboys here...LOL!!!
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Shops at Legacy in Plano is a nice area where they have cool restaurants/bars with a young crowd. Uptown (just north of downtown Dallas) is also a really nice area with lively crowds and you can find just about anything you want there. I moved here from NC and love it!
  • LaurenRosePR
    LaurenRosePR Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Danny_Boy13: I'm familiar with Austin- I lived there for a little bit and it's only a few hours from here!

nmb0717: That's exactly where my cousin lives and where I was last weekend- she lives in Frisco close to those Shops at Legacy. If I go again soon, I'll have to check out Uptown. =]
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I live in Frisco too :)
  • taramaclaren
    taramaclaren Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I moved to Dallas from Philly last August and spent a lot of time researching areas. There are a lot of little neighborhoods and different areas, but for someone your age hands down, the best place to live is Uptown! It is the only really walkable neighborhood in Dallas and has tons of fun restaurants, outdoor venues, fro-yo shops, wine bars, shopping, and even a free historical trolley that can shuttle you around. It is a beautiful area and very safe.

It also will put you RIGHT near the Katy Trail, which (if you run/rollerblade/enjoy the outdoors) is a MUST. Check it out.

In Uptown itself, there are several different areas. If you like to go out to bars regularly I'd recommend living on McKinney. If you want walking access to bars but not necessarily to live in the party-area, I'd recommend State Thomas or the West Village.

Other areas that I checked out, but decided weren't a great fit include:
    - Deep Ellum (awesome, grungy, hipster, kind of dangerous though!!)
    - M Streets (more suburban with lots of families and kiddos)
    - Lakewood (awesome area, but not close enough to the highways. people LOVE lakewood though, so def. check it out!)
    - Downtown (expensive, but not a lot going on down there outside of working hours)
    - Oaklawn (good, but Uptown is better!)

Please feel free to ask me any questions - I have been here less than a year and have loved living in Uptown! Lots of transplants and always fun things going on!
  • MrHolyTemple
    MrHolyTemple Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I stay in cedar hill which is right down the street from dallas and there are a lot of happenieng spots out here for young professionals. the question is:

What type of venues would you like to know about?

Dallas has a lot to offer and there are a lot of small town that have things to offer as well. mall are one of the things that we have a lot of depending on what area you are going to be living at. there are also places that are nice to travel too as well. always looking to network with people especially if they are new to the city. if you have any questions. please feel free to ask me.