illness/ recovery and working out the in-between

Options
Hi all , hope you are all having great weeks with your goals. I am in struggle town.... There I said it . I have been out since sat with Viral vertigo.. what is this you ask? well to put it basically you feel like you are on a roller coaster 24/7 with the added bonus of nausea the whole time and over whelming need to sleep .. problem is a couple of things, you don't want to eat because of the nausea. actually scratch that you don't want anything that could make you vomit to pass your lips this includes water. and if you move your head a milimetre in any direction you feel like you are going to vomit. Right before this i was 20 days into 30day shred and seeing some results ,great ones .. i am worried that i will have to start from scratch again after this passes and will loose all my conditioning :( . I know that i need to let my body recover ...i am just super frustrated as prior to this i found it really hard to stick to anything regarding exercise and was actually ..dare i say it enjoying the workouts . anyone else have similar experience and have any tips to help a girl out .... ( the added pressure as some of you may have seen .. is that i lost my dad on the 10th of this month ...so i know that this will also be a trigger to get into bad habits again ..)

Replies

• PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your physical challenges and the loss of your Dad.

It's awesome you were dedicated to 20 days of the 30 day shred. So, there's your proof you can.
    Sticking to something for the long term basis is my problem as well.

My suggestion is allow your body to heal. You're worth the time to make yourself well.
    Then engage your workout routine on a slower or modified basis to a) prevent injury and b) allow your body to readjust to exercise.

It's tough, yes, we want to jump back right we were and move on. Plus continue to see results.

Wishing you success.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sounds really awful. And I'm so sorry about the loss of your Dad.

Take your time getting better.

I can tell you this from experience - I did the 30 day shred for about 15 days and I could really see some changes in my body. Then I got an injury and couldn't really work out for about a month. But when I started 30 day shred again it was not at all like starting from scratch. I wasn't quite where I was when I stopped, but I wasn't that far away either. Your stamina and ability springs back pretty quickly. I read a comment from someone on MFP who said it's muscle memory and it comes back quickly.

You can do it. You've already proven that you can stick to it for 20 days, which is pretty great!

Wishing you fast healing.
  • susanjean62
    susanjean62 Posts: 200
    Options
    Oh,my dear. I am so sorry to hear you are feeling so awful. The dizziness and the nausea that goes with it,is the pits. You got great advice from your friends here. Be kind to yourself,and don't worry about losing your momentum. The most important thing is getting back on your feet and getting healthy again. I have heard of the shred,but don't know exactly what it is. You have been pushing yourself awfully hard,while also dealing with grief. That is hard on anyone. You are a very determined woman and your body will let you know when you can start up again. Recently,when I was doing my squats and lunges,I started having knee pain(which has affected me in the past). I realized,that I need to modify my exercises,because I don't want to NOT be able to exercise at all. I am praying for you,and know we all care about you. Take care.:flowerforyou:
  • Aboele79
    Aboele79 Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks Ladies ,
    for all your advice , support and a place to just put it out there . i am finding that having a place to just talk about it is helping. feeling a little better today and eating again :D Susan The 30 day shred is one of Jillian Micheals work out dvds i really enjoyed doing it .. don't get me wrong it is really tough but worth the effort. Again thank you for listening :D xxx
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    Options
    That's what we are here for.... support, encouragement and safety to vent.

Take care.
  • susanjean62
    Options
    So glad you are starting to feel better. I'm sure that took a lot out of you,but proud of what a fighter you are! I got a biggest loser dvd,and it is probably different from the shred,but the exercises were a little too extreme for me. My darn knees are acting up again,and I don't want to quit doing squats and lunges,but may have to. Thanks for the info. Always looking for a way to kickstart my exercise.:smile:
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.

I had vertigo like you're describing when I was in college. I fell down in the funhouse at the fair because my sister wanted to go in and I couldn't say no. Nothing like having to ask the people to hold the floor still so you can stand up, lol. I definitely agree with letting your body heal before you jump into your exercise routine. If you were over halfway, I doubt it would be like starting from scratch. Once you're all healed up, I'm sure you'll be right back where you left off.

Sending good thoughts to you!
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi Aboele - I've been thinking of you and just wanted to check in and see how you're feeling. I hope things are still improving. :flowerforyou:
  • Aboele79
    Aboele79 Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi there thanks for checking in on me that is really lovely of you. things here have been both hard and good . i had to make the heart breaking decision to have my cat put down sunday last week ( he got very ill very fast and in alot of pain) and that has really really been tough coupled with everything else going on. the vertigo is getting better slowly. on the plus side i have a lot of new girls starting at roller derby which has kept me busy :D and today i did my first session of level 2 of the 30 day shred since i got ill. got all the way through it ... sucked and was stuffed afterwards but couldn't be happier :D . hope your week has been awesome
  • susanjean62
    Options
    I am very sorry about your cat. Our animals are part of our family and it's hard when we have to say goodbye. I am happy you are feeling better and very proud of you,as you are doing the derby and shred. Wow...I need to get motivated. Have a great day!:smile:
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    Options
    Sorry to hear of the loss of your pet. Our pets are our little (or big depending on the breed) children.

Wishing all success this week -- may we reach our goals.