Losing extremely slowly

Options
Is anyone else losing extremely slowly?
I've been on keto for about 6 weeks, and I've been very strict, but I've barely lost 5 lbs.
I’m going to stick with it because I feel better on keto. I have more energy, and it just seems to make sense. I know my body does not need grains or sugar.
The first 4 weeks I wasn't exercising at all, so maybe my calories were still too high at around 1200-1500? These past couple weeks I’ve been working out regularly and have not been super-hungry, so there should be a pretty good caloric deficit, but I’m still losing SUPER slow.
Has anyone else experienced this?

- I’m 38
- I drink tons of water and take vitamins
- I am always "in keto" when I use the sticks
- You can see my food log, but I don’t always track regularly
- My normal weight is 125-130, I started at 145 and was 140 as of this morning

Replies

• BandB1979
    BandB1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It could be a number of factors. Maybe sugar alcohols in some of the foods/sweeteners you are eating. It could just be simply that since you don't have much to lose it is going to be slow.
  • sunnieme123
    Options
    I don't eat/use many sweeteners, but I think you're right on the other point, along with being close to 40 and various hormonal factors.
    I will just have to be patient!
    Thanks!
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else losing extremely slowly?
    I've been on keto for about 6 weeks, and I've been very strict, but I've barely lost 5 lbs.
    I’m going to stick with it because I feel better on keto. I have more energy, and it just seems to make sense. I know my body does not need grains or sugar.
    The first 4 weeks I wasn't exercising at all, so maybe my calories were still too high at around 1200-1500? These past couple weeks I’ve been working out regularly and have not been super-hungry, so there should be a pretty good caloric deficit, but I’m still losing SUPER slow.
    Has anyone else experienced this?

- I’m 38
    - I drink tons of water and take vitamins
    - I am always "in keto" when I use the sticks
    - You can see my food log, but I don’t always track regularly
    - My normal weight is 125-130, I started at 145 and was 140 as of this morning

I've been on keto since January 5th and in the first two months I dropped 20 lbs. Since March it has been a snails pace. BUT! Yes, there is a but... I am lifting weights twice a week so my weight might not be coming down but my size is shrinking. Large shirts fit me now and I can fit into a 14w (16 misses). My clothing goal is to be in a 12 by the end of summer. So I don't necessarily have a "weight" goal but a clothing goal.

Being female and being over the age of 30 it's going to be a bit tougher for us and if you don't really have a lot to lose (I started at 225) it's going to take patience. (The bigger a person is, the faster they will lose weight.)
  • ArtsyGeekette
    ArtsyGeekette Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Definitely see what your sugar/carb intake is like (aka: hidden carbs or reactions to artificial sugars), make sure your ratios are letting you eat a decent amount of calories and fiber intake may need up be raised.

This seems to be working for me for calorie ratios: 67% Fat, 28% protein, 5% carb. I also take a Vitamin D3 5000 IU as I am severely deficient and a B-Complex dropper as it helps me energy-wise.

You're going to see some stalls and major drops. Don't rely on your scale too much as it may drive you batty with the current plateau. Check back in a few days, increase weight lifting and go easy on the cardio and you should see a difference.
  • yoochunsa
    yoochunsa Posts: 2
    Options
    My first week or two on keto, I dropped 8 pounds. I'm sure most of it was water weight, but since then, I've been at a plateau, only losing 1lb this month (started 3/22). However, my clothes are fitting better, and people are complimenting that they can see a loss. I think for people like you and I, who are on the lower spectrum of weight (I'm currently at 145), are going to lose weight at a slower pace than those who weigh more than us. Also, you might be burning fat, but gaining muscle instead. Take body measurements! I got kind of fed up, too, with not seeing the numbers drop on the scale as quickly as I would like, but I'm still being persistant because I know it's still paying off in my energy and health levels. Keep up the good work!
  • bwhite0425
    bwhite0425 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto since Dec. 2012. Lost 20 pounds relatively fast, took about a couple months. I've been stalled at the same weight for the last 8-10 weeks now. About a week and a half ago I started working out twice a day, an hour in the afternoon and an hour at night (one cardio session and one weightlifting) and this morning when I weighed myself I FINALLY lost 1 pound. I hope I don't have to continue to work out 2 hours everyday, it's become extremely taxing but I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to lose 9 more pounds and lose my "mommy pouch" by summer!! Luckily, it's still snowing here so no bikini weather yet!

I really think my body is just trying to hold on to it! I'm trying to drink it away by forcing about a gallon of water down every day! Go away fat!!

Changing up my routine definitely seemed to help me though and WATER WATER WATER! I also gave up ALL desserts (yes, even keto friendly ones) so I could break through my seemingly ENDLESS plateau.