Sorry guys, this is a female problem/question

Options
cmbartos170
cmbartos170 Posts: 17 Member
So here I am, eating right and exercising - feeling pretty proud of myself. I got out my scale just to see if it has made any difference in the 3 days I have been "good". Damn it - I GAINED EIGHT POUNDS. Oh, I just got my period.

So the question is....how do you account for the sudden weight gain from that time of the month? Does this happen to you?

Replies

• missharleychick
    Options
    I heard this definitely makes and impact. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED...

Read this, I know it encourages me that what we experience is normal-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/159870-does-your-menstrual-cycle-affect-your-weight-loss

I say men have to deal with this shi* starting now. :)
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Yes - it does happen to me. Knowing that I can most likely attribute it to TOM makes the number on the scale a little more bearable since thats out of my control.
  • southernpawsc
    Options
    Yes, the weight gain can be significant and then moreso depending on how you eat when those hormones are kicking in. Mine usually fluctuates about 4 lbs during the first few days. Just keep chugging that water to flush any sodium that could possibly be causing additional fluid retention and think about how awesome it is to see those pounds go away just as soon as it's over. I always go "OMG!" then "Wow, that's pretty cool!"

Since it's nothing but normal biology, DO NOT let it discourage you :)
  • Em2je05
    Em2je05 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I actually don't really have a "TOM" per say because I am on the Depo Shot, however I do feel like I "cycle" once a month and get bloating, increase appetite, and the scale is up. This just may be my imagination too! I get my shot every three months, It's weird, my body knows it's that time to get my shot even before I check the calender because I start having this endless pit of hungry. My gyno said it's normal and that's it's normal to "gain" weight around the TOM.
  • caribcutie
    caribcutie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It happens. I also notice weight gains after eating higher sodium food (such as frozen boxed meals, processed food).

With time, water and stickig to the plan, it will come off.

Fear not :-):happy:
  • smittygirl
    smittygirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens with me, I'm on Mirena and dont menstruate but I do get ALL the symptoms.
  • grk_tigris
    grk_tigris Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think pretty much happens to all of us. I think the weight gain/loss difference depends on the type of birth control you're on. Due to PCOS my doc took me off any hormone type birth control, he's got me on just progesterone to regulate. i've noticed that means my weight change only varies by a couple pounds. My suggestion is to keep track off your measurements as well as your weight. I've noticed that with the exception of the waist measurement (which might change if you're bloated) this seems to not vary as much with your cycle. So as long as the inches keep going down (overall) it keeps me from obsessing to much about the number on the scale.
  • Em2je05
    Em2je05 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Oh my...responding to this topic jinxed me! I am on the Depo Shot and usually have symptoms but now TOM hit me good :( Drinking tons of water tomorrow and hopefully i'll see a change in the scale :(
  • rde8jr
    rde8jr Posts: 34
    Options
    I have had a hysterectomy and I still gain one week out of the month. It falls back off really quickly though usually gone the following week.
  • LBinSF
    LBinSF Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes- I can gain 4 pounds in a day during that time of the month - but it drops right off. No idea what causes it.
  • tigermorris
    tigermorris Posts: 58
    Options
    You should not let it bother you, but if it does, I would not weight during that time!! Personally it plays with my mind when the scale goes up, so it is easier for me to ignore the scale, until I know the bloating and such is gone.