Looking for some new Snack Ideas

Options
Hey all I'm looking to change up my snacks a bit. My snacks typclly are One fruit, Tomatos, Sugar Pod Peas, sweet peppers, radishes, string cheese, and cottage cheese. I'm going to start trying to reduce my cheese in take but need a good fat/protein replacement. Please note I do not like Raw Almonds, I like the blue diamond and elmerald flavored almonds but know that that's not the best treat for you. I would like to try to start eating some different kind of nuts but not sure where to buy them raw.

Any ideas are welcomed!

Replies

• LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    celery with peanut butter is a good one
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    celery with peanut butter is a good one

I should do peanut butter with celery or an apple! Thanks! I use to do that but then fell into the peanutbutter is so high in calorie thinking and stopped. That will probably be on my snack list for next week!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Protein snacks I like: jerky, hard boiled eggs, devilled eggs, smoked salmon with a bit of cucumber, greek yogurt (if you tolerate dairy)...

Fat: I make my own sunflower seed butter (like peanut butter) and have that with apple slices. Bacon. Avocado. Nuts- almonds, cashews, pistachios.
  • WifeofPJ
    Options
    Protein snacks I like: jerky, hard boiled eggs, devilled eggs, smoked salmon with a bit of cucumber, greek yogurt (if you tolerate dairy)...

Fat: I make my own sunflower seed butter (like peanut butter) and have that with apple slices. Bacon. Avocado. Nuts- almonds, cashews, pistachios.

I have to know how do you make your own sunflower seed butter? How long does it keep?
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is high in calories, but just watch your amounts. It's quite filling and makes a delicious snack with lots of healthy fats and some protein.

I go non-fat greek yogurt. Good amount of protein, no fat, low sugar. But the ones with flavoring have added sugar, so maybe get plain and if you don't like the taste, flavor it yourself with berries or a bit of honey.

Add: you can buy sunflower butter (also pumpkin butter, almond butter... a bunch of other peanut butter replacements) at the grocery store - check the health section, if you don't have time/don't want to make it yourself.
  • lalarox
    lalarox Posts: 37
    Options
    My go to snack is usually hummus with carrots and/or cucumbers. So refreshing seems to curb my savory cravings. Also, a nice non-fat greek yogurt with some berries or a touch of honey for when I am craving something sweeter.
  • WifeofPJ
    Options
    My go to snack is usually hummus with carrots and/or cucumbers. So refreshing seems to curb my savory cravings. Also, a nice non-fat greek yogurt with some berries or a touch of honey for when I am craving something sweeter.

I really need to give Hummus a real try. I've never really given it a real shot.
  • WifeofPJ
    Options
    Thanks everyone who as given their ideas! I am taking notes of the ones I want to give a try. I know I need more fat as this week I have not had as much fat and I'm getting really hungry again. So Need to mix some things up! Looking forward to doing that next week.
  • wizkklx
    wizkklx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would like them but at a party recently I tried kale chips for the first time -- they were AMAZING!!! You basically just lay kale leaves on a cookie sheet and bake them until they shrivel up (think popcorn minus the squeaking and getting stuck in your teeth). I have also heard of people making them with a sprinkle of soy sauce.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-kale-chips/
  • kat_para_
    kat_para_ Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut out sugar, so I make a dip for my veggies with 2% plain greek yogurt. I add herbs or a package of onion soup mix.
  • KatieWH
    KatieWH Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Have you tried PB2? Peanut butter without all the calories and is natural. It isn't a fatty snack, but have you tried Oasis brand black bean dip or hummus? If you live near whole foods, you can get it there but I get it at the food co-op. Only 15-35 calories per 2 tblspoon serving so you can dip to your heart's desire guilt free!

Other snacks I like are hard boiled eggs, lentils with cheese, skinny pop popcorn, blue diamond wasabi almonds and pure protein brand protein bars. Love Quest bars too. Depends on how many calories you are looking for but lentils are very cheap and delicious if you make them with chicken broth.

Finally, if you are looking for something sweet, try the skinnytaste.com recipe for pumpkin butter. I take two tblspoons and put it over apple slices and microwave for 1-2 minutes. Instant low calorie apple pie - yummy and less than 150 calories!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I have to know how do you make your own sunflower seed butter? How long does it keep?

Same way you make any nut or seed butter - put nuts/seeds into a blender or food processor and run until you get a creamy consistency. It does take a while, though, unless you have something like a Vitamix. You can mix in a little bit of a good oil to get a creamier texture if necessary.

As for how long it keeps, I'm not sure, as I generally only make small batches (enough for one or two servings). I'd venture to guess it'd last a few weeks, depending on the butter, especially if you keep it in the fridge.