Surgery cost

Options
mandyabraio
mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
Does anyone who has already had their surgery know how much your entire surgery bill was before insurance paid. Right now my ins. will pay 100% because I have met my deductible and out of pocket for the year, but I have a limit of $60,000 Does anyone know if the whole thing costs more than this amount. Thanks!

Replies

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I didn't know how much it would cost till I got the bills and added them up. I have an HMO insurance so I just had to pay a $250 deductable for the surgery/hospital stay and other stuff. I think I added mine up an it was close to $75,000 but I was in the hospital from Mon-Fri instead of Mon-Wed so that made it more expensive plus the repaired a hital hernia once they got in there too. The $75000 was the surgeon's bill, anstheic (sp?) bill, hospital bill (OR and hospital room and all the stuff I used in surgery and after). My insurance didn't pay the total $75000 more like $45000 I think and I don't have to pay the difference.
    You could ask your surgery what the cost will be and then call your hospital and ask them what the estimated cost would be.
  • mum_of_one
    Options
    oh my goodness, that seems very expensive.
    If I had to pay the full cost here it would be $17150, its a fixed cost, but my insurance is paying it so I dont have to. Thats for a standard 2 nights in a private hospital. And thats NZ dollars, converted to US dollars it would be $13905.22 US. That cost is also for a very experienced and absolutely lovely surgeon and a top anaesthetist.
  • HolsDoinIt
    HolsDoinIt Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    i honestly have no clue..my insurance has a max of 10000 that they will pay so i have out of pockets of almost 4000 to cover..but thats not that bad considering others..
  • kristina509
    kristina509 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just had my surgery on 12/19 and added up the bills...it was about $36k and I just had the sleeve. That was including the anesthesiologist (sp?) and radiology bills (for upper gi day after surgery).
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I find that what the insurance company gets billed varies really wildly. I've seen people whose insurance company was billed in almost a quarter of a million dollars! Of course, insurance paid a fraction of that as their negotiated "customary and reasonable" rate.

My self-pay costs were $17000 but my program typically bills insurance at twice that. If your insurance has an upper limit, be sure your program knows that and make sure they don't screw you over with how they bill things!
  • HolsDoinIt
    HolsDoinIt Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    i did just receive a bill from my surgery ctr and my entire amount was 63000
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that it's cheaper in the south for some reason. We are Native Texans, but were living up north for a few years. I knew I wanted someone in Dallas or Houston to take care of me.....cash pay in Milwaukee for the sleeve was 25k - in Dallas, I paid $12,500. Dr. Davidson has been voted a 'Top Doc' for seventeen years and his facility has the Center of Excellence stamp of approval. I have NO idea why it is less, but I got curious and started checking in TN, GA and Louisiana....all were in the same range as my doctor. I am pretty sure it costs more if insurance is used, but you should have more than enough, way more! Good luck!
  • skalicky3
    Options
    I am in Minnesota and I think my bill was 37,000. I paid about $1200 of that. Thank God for insurance!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It's weird how much the price is regional, stratusphr. My doc was one of the pioneers of the surgery... been doing it since 2000/2001. So you'd think he'd charge top prices to match his experience, right? Nope. He charges the same as everyone else in the area and definitely way less than 25,000. A sleeve is around 17,000 here in the SF Bay Area and the cost of living here is much higher than in the midwest too so who knows why it was so much up/over there.
  • lrgandwrg
    lrgandwrg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mine was around $26,000