Knee/Joint pain

ShinyDragonfly
ShinyDragonfly Posts: 301 Member
Hey, I'm just starting running and I want to address this issue. I have pretty bad knee/joint pain. They often crack or feel like they need to. They hurt until I do crack them. I take joint pills that are supposed to help rebuild cartilage and it does help but it's not perfect. I'd really appreciate some tips or ideas.

Replies

• It is most likely an inflamed tendon(not missing cartilage) that is making the noises google Chondromalacia. Of course if you had a knee injury and resulting surgery then this is not likely the case

Runners knee problems are often caused by instability issues in the foot or hips. Sometimes by tight or weak quads.

Best course is to find a physical therapist who works with runners.

The book Anatomy for Runners is REALLY good it has tests that help you determine what is wrong in your gait / body that is the likely cause of the symptom (knee pain). Then it prescribes exercises to fix the issue.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    It is most likely an inflamed tendon(not missing cartilage) that is making the noises google Chondromalacia. Of course if you had a knee injury and resulting surgery then this is not likely the case

Runners knee problems are often caused by instability issues in the foot or hips. Sometimes by tight or weak quads.

Best course is to find a physical therapist who works with runners.

The book Anatomy for Runners is REALLY good it has tests that help you determine what is wrong in your gait / body that is the likely cause of the symptom (knee pain). Then it prescribes exercises to fix the issue.

Good advice. But profile photo is creeeeepy :smokin:
  • ShinyDragonfly
  • Since you're a new runner, may I ask what shoes you're running in? I find when my shoes are in need of replacing my Knees and hips let me know it loud and clear. If you're not wearing a shoe that is right for you, you may be putting undo stress on your knees. I'd strongly suggest possibly a trip to a good running store (not a big box sports store) to get a proper fit. Since shoes are really the only "equipment" you really need, its wise to be sure you're running with proper shoes in top condition.
  • ShinyDragonfly
    I definitely need new shoes. I am planning to look for some this weekend. The shoes I use now are woman's running shoes... but they're 4 years old. I bought them in high school for Cross Country. They were used through training and the season and then they were put away. So they're not falling apart or anything but they're probably over the milage of good running shoes. (I just feel bad tossing seemingly good shoes! They're not cheap). How do I find a running store?
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    You definitely need new shoes. The running shoe wears out quickly. A running shoe needs replacement about every 6 months. Find a local running store and have them fit you properly as running shoe. fitment isn't just about shoe size. They check arch type, pronation, width etc.. It can mean the biggest difference in how you body reacts to running. Once that is cleared up and if there is still an issue, definitely get into a physical therapist to get checked out.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Hey, I'm just starting running and I want to address this issue. I have pretty bad knee/joint pain. They often crack or feel like they need to. They hurt until I do crack them. I take joint pills that are supposed to help rebuild cartilage and it does help but it's not perfect. I'd really appreciate some tips or ideas.

See a doctor.

I've had knee pain, due to two conditions, since the mid-1970's. One was what used to be called "chondromalacia" and there's another condition with the acronym ITBS. They are different types of pain and are treated very differently.

A physical exam will help diagnose the problem and then get you back on your feet!

I definitely need new shoes. I am planning to look for some this weekend. The shoes I use now are woman's running shoes... but they're 4 years old. I bought them in high school for Cross Country. They were used through training and the season and then they were put away. So they're not falling apart or anything but they're probably over the milage of good running shoes. (I just feel bad tossing seemingly good shoes! They're not cheap). How do I find a running store?
    Just because they're 4 years old does not mean that you can't use them. AFAIK, there's nothing in a running shoe that breaks down over time so, unless they're badly worn, you might not need to replace them.

BTW, my almost 40 years of chondromalacia was solved by running. I had constant, low level pain in my left knee and I would get hit with stabbing pain in the middle of my right knee a couple of times a week as well as snap, crackle, and pop. After about 4 months of running, the pain went away and I've had no recurrence. In my case, the issue was brought on by incorrect development of the thigh muscles in my legs and, thanks to running, the muscles were strengthened and my knee pain disappeared.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    I get runners knee, it's taken a lot of adapting my program to stop it, basically get decent trainers, I under pronate so get trainers specifically for that. I also use a foam roller after every run. The best thing for me had been strength training, when I started I was just not strong enough to run, I've been working with a strength and conditioning trainer for a year now to make my glutes stronger and core more stable etc ( it also made me A LOT faster). Having said that my IT band/knee has started twinging on this mornings run basically because I had a hectic start to the week so piled my runs into 4 days- stupid! I have to take rest days between speed runs and long runs! So no running for me until at least thurs :-/ hope this helps but it's all about finding what works for you!
  • ShinyDragonfly
    The pain is still there but it has decreased greatly! Popping and cracking much less too. I think my friend might have been right about needing to get things circulating and moving again. But I'll still definitely be checking on everything you all have suggested.