Losing Weight with Type 1

Options
Who has a good, successful story to tell about losing weight with type 1 diabetes. Preferrably a female in her 30's who just had her first child a year ago.... and hopefully she has hypothyroidism as well.. I really want to know if i can beat this and get it over with - i want the fat gone and fit into prepreg clothes.

Please tell ur story and give me some hope!!!!!!

Replies

• racegirlkn
    racegirlkn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am 31, and have a bad thyroid, which I take Synthroid (spelling??) for. I have lost about 55 pounds. However, I have not had a child. It is has been a long battle and taken a while, but it is possible. I watch what I eat all the time, and exercise 5 days a week by either running (I am running a half marathon next weekend) or doing Insanity. I have an insulin pump, and as I lose weight, I have to continually keep adjusting my insulin to lower amounts. Otherwise, I get low and have to eat so much that it counteracts the exercise and otherwise healthy eating! Hope this helps!! You can do it!! It will probably just take more time than a normal person. And by normal, I mean not type 1.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am 31, and have a bad thyroid, which I take Synthroid (spelling??) for. I have lost about 55 pounds. However, I have not had a child. It is has been a long battle and taken a while, but it is possible. I watch what I eat all the time, and exercise 5 days a week by either running (I am running a half marathon next weekend) or doing Insanity. I have an insulin pump, and as I lose weight, I have to continually keep adjusting my insulin to lower amounts. Otherwise, I get low and have to eat so much that it counteracts the exercise and otherwise healthy eating! Hope this helps!! You can do it!! It will probably just take more time than a normal person. And by normal, I mean not type 1.

How long did it take you to lose the 55 lbs? I am not type 1, my husband is. We have both been on MFP a while (me 2 years him a little over 1 year) We track everything, he exercises 4-5 days a week. He's lost like....12 lbs, and nothing in the past 3 months.

We did go through and still go through adjusting the insulin to lower amounts (lantus/humolog ratios). His highest was 66 lantus a day, we were down to 24 lantus when we tried splitting it b/c we figured out it was only lasting about 18 - 19 hours. When splitting he tends to need closer to 26/28 units. His thyroid checked okay.

I am going to try setting up exercise after dinner and try to reduce the insulin taken, I read that on a message board for type 1's.

Anyways hope to hear more success and advice :)
  • racegirlkn
    racegirlkn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It has taken me a few years to get to this point. I am still plugging along, but my weight loss has definitely been a lot slower lately, and it seems like for every 5 steps I go forward, I go 3 back. It seems like I have a much harder time losing weight than the average person, but I guess everyone is different. I am not sure how much insulin I was taking when I first started. I think about 50 units daily (I am on an insulin pump, and use Novolog), and then 10 to 20 more for my bolus after meals. Now, I take about 16 daily and then 5 to 10 for my bolus after meals. I am pretty controlled with what I eat, especially during the week. I still have 11 pounds until I am considered "not overweight" according to my BMI, and if I can ever get there, I may just have to accept that weight and work on maintaining it. I feel like exercise has played a critical role in my weight loss because after exercising, I have a few extra calories to use in the day, in case I have a low blood sugar. Good luck to you and your husband!!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Well, not in my 30's but I'm type 1 with hypothyroid and I lost 110 pounds naturally in one year. I am also a mom of 4 children and I just turned 46.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Well, not in my 30's but I'm type 1 with hypothyroid and I lost 110 pounds naturally in one year. I am also a mom of 4 children and I just turned 46.
    This is awesome!!!! Congratulations to you!!!!
  • nursebunny5
    nursebunny5 Posts: 14
    Options

damn!!!! congratulations!! i wish i could be this lucky. i've been exercising and eating healthy for over 3 months and i have a lost a total of 2 pounds (and gained 4)! any secrets on your success???