Portion Control - What is Your Approach?

Options
tameekag
tameekag Posts: 84 Member
Are you weighing your food?
Measuring cup?
Eyeballing it?
Using a smaller plate?

Do you need help with portions and knowing the proper amounts?
Let's hear what your challenges and success strategies are!

Replies

• southernpawsc
    Options
    I have begun weighing what can't be measured in a cup, measuring in a cup what can be, & counting what I grab a handful of. Today I measured and cut boneless breasts into 3 - 3 1/2 oz portions and cooked them to use over the next few days. If it's not previously measured, I have to eyeball it (like the guacamole on my salad last night!).

We'll eventually learn portions and content like the back of our hand and won't want to exceed an actual portion like we've become accustomed to over the last few decades!
  • Unaisha8
    Unaisha8 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Before I have lunch or dinner, I always have a tall glass of water so that I don't have a second serving. Also, I always use a smaller plate as it allows me to monitor my food portions so that I don't stuff myself.
  • krk5235
    krk5235 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    A portion of meat size (for a guy on 1800 to 2000 cal) is supposed to be the size of a deck of cards. So for you ladies on smaller calorie intake --- cut your deck! geeze i'm sorry, i just had to come out with that one. i'll be here all 75 days folks, just shake your head and ignore me at times is all! :laugh:
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Everything changed for me once I began measuring and weighing my food out instead of just guessing. I always said I would never be one of those crazy people who weighs their food. Lol...now I do it all the time. In the old days I would just eat as much of something as I wanted to. Usually equivalent of 3 or 4 portions!
  • Impassivelips
    Options
    I need to buy a scale, but I don't usually weigh my food because I do not calorie count (ironically). What works for me and I've been between 118-140 all my life, is to use a smaller plate. Put less of the carb/protein/fat heavy foods on the plate and load up on the veggies and healthy stuff. That way, visually, you'll become overwhelmed by all the food on the plate. It's also a good idea to chew your food slowly and at least 16 times before you swallow it. I don't recommend eating anywhere near a television. Either you're cognizant of what you're eating, or you're paying attention to the television. Same goes for eating at the dinner table. If someone sparks a conversation. Put your utensils down and continue the chatter, but do not eat and swallow and talk all at the same time

• abikinibyjuly
    abikinibyjuly Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I do it all ... Measuring cups and spoons, scale, smaller dishes. It works great at home, but eating out is what gets me!
  • sgouti1
    sgouti1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I do it all ... Measuring cups and spoons, scale, smaller dishes. It works great at home, but eating out is what gets me!

When you eat out, immediately ask for a box when your meal comes (or ask the kitchen to box half). It helps me to take half or more of the food off my plate before I let my eyes and stomach even start thinking about taking it all in!!

Also a trick my grandma used to do - if you know you're done and you're not taking the left overs home - sprinkle a pink packet or two (sweet n' low or some other sweetener) over your whole plate. You certainly won't want to eat it then! It will keep you from picking after you're full or while you're socializing after a meal.
  • TheFabTam
    TheFabTam Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my portions are outta control. (From a big German/Italian family) So smaller plates and smaller serving spoons. When I use smaller serving spoons I feel like a real fatty when I try to scoop more than one.
  • caribcutie
    caribcutie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What great ideas! Plate size, water, sprinkling Splenda (go Grandma!).

My mental measurements are quite generous; so I'm turning back to the actual measuring cup starting Saturday.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options

Also a trick my grandma used to do - if you know you're done and you're not taking the left overs home - sprinkle a pink packet or two (sweet n' low or some other sweetener) over your whole plate. You certainly won't want to eat it then! It will keep you from picking after you're full or while you're socializing after a meal.

My friend used to pour water over her food immediately after she was finished so she wouldn't be tempted to pick. I've done it a few times. It's a really good trick!!
  • newtro0925
    newtro0925 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A digital scale is very important in my portion control. I also use measuring cups and spoons. I have noticed that I can almost cut a portion of meat now to be exactly what I need it to be. I still use the scale just to double check.
  • rde8jr
    rde8jr Posts: 34
    Options
    When eating out ask for your to go box when you order so that you can put away the portion you don't need to eat before you even start. That works the best for me.
  • LBinSF
    LBinSF Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    All these posts have good advice.
    I have a little digital scale and measure wine & fruit (on which I tend to want 'exaggerated' portions).
    I should use a tablespoon to measure peanut butter & almond butter - but I generally eyeball it.
    Trader Joe's has a lot of pre-packaged measured portions - which are already in the MFP database - so that makes it easy to gauge.