Fun, Healthy Party Foods

Options
I'm throwing a casual party for family (about 15) this weekend. I'm trying to pick fun foods/appetizers that my family won't label as boring DIET food. Ideas? I think presentation may also make a difference...?

Replies

• junkintrunk5
    junkintrunk5 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    EDAMAME DIP

16 oz. shelled edamame
    1 avacodo, peeled, pitted, and diced
    1/2 C. Cilantro
    1/2 C. plain greek yogurt
    1/2 C. water
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1/4 C. fresh lime juice
    1-2 tsp salt ( i omitted this)
    5 shakes Tobasco sauce (more or less to taste)
    3 drops of dark sesame oil

Cook Edamame until tender, drain and pulse in a food processor
    add cilantro, pulse a few time more
    add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth and creamy

Dip with fresh veggies!!! I don't have the info on it............but there is nothing bad in this for sure!!!
  • KathleenSweetie
    KathleenSweetie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    EDAMAME DIP

16 oz. shelled edamame
    1 avacodo, peeled, pitted, and diced
    1/2 C. Cilantro
    1/2 C. plain greek yogurt
    1/2 C. water
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1/4 C. fresh lime juice
    1-2 tsp salt ( i omitted this)
    5 shakes Tobasco sauce (more or less to taste)
    3 drops of dark sesame oil

Cook Edamame until tender, drain and pulse in a food processor
    add cilantro, pulse a few time more
    add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth and creamy

Dip with fresh veggies!!! I don't have the info on it............but there is nothing bad in this for sure!!!

Sounds good!
  • sgouti1
    sgouti1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I should probably put a disclaimer on all my recipes -
    I am from Louisiana and I do not cook with recipes! This is my best recollection of how I make the meal. Some ingredients, I will not be able to pin-point an amount you should use, so use your best judgment and adjust to your own tastes. All of these “recipes” are adaptable and I even make them differently from time to time - add what you like!

Veggie stuffed mushrooms:

INGREDIENTS:
    - 2 packs baby portabellas (I find larger mushrooms work best)
    - 1/3 cup olive oil
    - 1 onion (finely chopped)
    - 1 bell pepper (red or green, finely chopped)
    - 1 can french style green beans (well drained, can rough chop before pan)
    - 1 jar marinated artichok hearts (well drained, finely chopped, get rid of any really hard pieces)
    - 2-4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
    - Good parmigiano-reggiano cheese grated on micro-plane (or bought that way) I probably use too much, so use your best judgment here - I would say at least 1/3 cup is needed to hold everything together
    - 12 crushed whole grain crackers (Kashi fire roasted veggie are awesome) (or bread crumbs)
    - Balsamic vinegar
    - Worcestershire sauce
    - Salt, pepper

PREPERATION:
    Mushrooms.
    Preheat oven to 350. Wash and remove stems from mushrooms. Allow to dry and throw in a large bowl with some balsamic vinegar, few splashes of Worcestershire, and a little salt & pepper. You don’t want them drenched, but definitely coated. Place each mushroom face down (open side down) on a sprayed cookie sheet (I use a Misto with olive oil, rather than cooking spray, but that will work fine.). Pop the seasoned mushrooms in the oven for about 10-12 mins. You don’t want them to cook completely. Take them out and leave them as is on the sheet while you continue to prep your stuffing. They’ll steam a little then cook perfectly once stuffed.

Stuffing:
    Use about half of the olive oil to sauté the onions and bell peppers until brown. Add in the green beans, artichoke hearts and garlic, and sauté about another 7 minutes, until all ingredients start to meld. You can work the green beans a bit to break them up so they’ll incorporate well into your stuffing (this is why I recommend a rough chop before the pan). Turn off the heat and wait about 3 mins til it cools down a bit, then add about two shakes or worcestershire, salt & pepper, cracker crumbs, parm cheese and remaining olive oil. Mix in well - then taste it (MMMM my favorite part…here’s where you doctor it up and add anything it might be missing)! Once the stuffing is just right, let it cool about 5-10 mins, until you can handle it. Then, roll the stuffing into balls and gently smoosh them into the prepped mushrooms. Pop them back into the oven for about 20-25 mins.

You can serve piping hot, or they can sit at your party for a while and be eaten at room temp. I always sprinkle with a little extra cheese when they’re done - but it’s really not needed!
  • TheFabTam
    TheFabTam Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like to do healthy wraps cut into snack sizes. Like this turkey, basil, mozzarella wrap. Yum.

http://pinterest.com/pin/192247477814531232/
  • KathleenSweetie
    Options
    Thanks all for your ideas!
  • KathleenSweetie
    Options
    I should probably put a disclaimer on all my recipes -
    I am from Louisiana and I do not cook with recipes! This is my best recollection of how I make the meal. Some ingredients, I will not be able to pin-point an amount you should use, so use your best judgment and adjust to your own tastes. All of these “recipes” are adaptable and I even make them differently from time to time - add what you like!

Veggie stuffed mushrooms:

INGREDIENTS:
    - 2 packs baby portabellas (I find larger mushrooms work best)
    - 1/3 cup olive oil
    - 1 onion (finely chopped)
    - 1 bell pepper (red or green, finely chopped)
    - 1 can french style green beans (well drained, can rough chop before pan)
    - 1 jar marinated artichok hearts (well drained, finely chopped, get rid of any really hard pieces)
    - 2-4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
    - Good parmigiano-reggiano cheese grated on micro-plane (or bought that way) I probably use too much, so use your best judgment here - I would say at least 1/3 cup is needed to hold everything together
    - 12 crushed whole grain crackers (Kashi fire roasted veggie are awesome) (or bread crumbs)
    - Balsamic vinegar
    - Worcestershire sauce
    - Salt, pepper

PREPERATION:
    Mushrooms.
    Preheat oven to 350. Wash and remove stems from mushrooms. Allow to dry and throw in a large bowl with some balsamic vinegar, few splashes of Worcestershire, and a little salt & pepper. You don’t want them drenched, but definitely coated. Place each mushroom face down (open side down) on a sprayed cookie sheet (I use a Misto with olive oil, rather than cooking spray, but that will work fine.). Pop the seasoned mushrooms in the oven for about 10-12 mins. You don’t want them to cook completely. Take them out and leave them as is on the sheet while you continue to prep your stuffing. They’ll steam a little then cook perfectly once stuffed.

Stuffing:
    Use about half of the olive oil to sauté the onions and bell peppers until brown. Add in the green beans, artichoke hearts and garlic, and sauté about another 7 minutes, until all ingredients start to meld. You can work the green beans a bit to break them up so they’ll incorporate well into your stuffing (this is why I recommend a rough chop before the pan). Turn off the heat and wait about 3 mins til it cools down a bit, then add about two shakes or worcestershire, salt & pepper, cracker crumbs, parm cheese and remaining olive oil. Mix in well - then taste it (MMMM my favorite part…here’s where you doctor it up and add anything it might be missing)! Once the stuffing is just right, let it cool about 5-10 mins, until you can handle it. Then, roll the stuffing into balls and gently smoosh them into the prepped mushrooms. Pop them back into the oven for about 20-25 mins.

You can serve piping hot, or they can sit at your party for a while and be eaten at room temp. I always sprinkle with a little extra cheese when they’re done - but it’s really not needed!
    Oh my goodness, that sounds wonderfully decadent!

I watched on TV (food network?) where the portabella was poked with thin wedges of (provolone?) cheese and smothered on both sides with a pesto, then grilled and placed in a bun. Before taking the mushroom off the grill, the chef melted another thin slice of provolone over it while the bun toasted on the grill. Looked like a great idea for summertime.
  • krk5235
    krk5235 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I live in PA Dutch area, if you have Lebanon Bologna available, its a dutchy deli meat, spread a thin layer of low fat cream cheese, drizzle with a sweet hot sauce if you wish, roll the meat up with the cream cheese side up, cut in half or pinwheels, stick a toothpick in each piece to prevent from unrolling.

Horribly easy to make but very tastey.