DAY 10

Options
41 Every year Jesus’ parents went to Jerusalem for the Passover festival. 42 When Jesus was twelve years old, they attended the festival as usual. 43 After the celebration was over, they started home to Nazareth, but Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem. His parents didn’t miss him at first, 44 because they assumed he was among the other travelers. But when he didn’t show up that evening, they started looking for him among their relatives and friends.

45 When they couldn’t find him, they went back to Jerusalem to search for him there. 46 Three days later they finally discovered him in the Temple, sitting among the religious teachers, listening to them and asking questions. 47 All who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers.

48 His parents didn’t know what to think. “Son,” his mother said to him, “why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been frantic, searching for you everywhere.”

49 “But why did you need to search?” he asked. “Didn’t you know that I must be in my Father’s house?” 50 But they didn’t understand what he meant.

51 Then he returned to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. And his mother stored all these things in her heart.

52 Jesus grew in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and all the people.

Replies

• ThePinkAlligator
    Options
    OBSERVATION:
    This is of the whole reading passage, but can you imagine nowadays I your 12 year old child went missing for days??? It is interesting to me that he still had questions as he grew and of all places, chose to dwell in his Father's house - and called it as such. Also, even though Jesus was very controversial as an adult, he was favored by all the people.

APPLICATION:
    I do wonder if we are supposed to dwell in church. I don't attend church. Jesus asked spiritual questions, it is okay to ask questions.

PRAYER:
    Heavenly Father,
    Please hear my prayer. Please watch over Joey as he travels tomorrow. Help me to remain calm and focus on the big picture while I am dealing with the car issue. Watch over Janet - help to heal her. Please keep my family and Joey's family safe. Touch Joey's heart, bring him to you and help me to be a good, honorable, respectful wife. Keep my heart and mind on you this weekend and always. Let your will be done, as you see fit and help me to trust. Please forgive my sins and help me to be aware of the sins I do commit and seek to eliminate them in the future. In your Son's name I pray, Amen.
  • abelair413
    Options
    Obervation:
    Jesus did not understand why his parents had not automatically known where he would have been if they were unable to locate him.

Application:
    As natural sinners we neglect to think of God first and that is why Mary and Joseph did not think of the Temple first. We must continue to to remind ourselves to put the Gospel first and through the Lord's word our questions will be answered in time.

Prayer:
    Heavenly Father thank you for opening my mind and heart so that my family and I may be saved. I promise to do must best to follow you word, please forgive my sins along this difficult journey. Continue to hold us in your ever loving arms and we shall be eternally grateful for your mercy.
  • paulaj1887
    Options
    I believe the church doesn’t have to be a building. It’s when two or more are together in his Name.:smile:
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Observation: Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem to spend time in his Father's house

application: It is very important to spend time in our father's house and be about our father's business

Prayer; I realize that I have not spent time with you like I should have. I desire to change that and put you first place in my life.
    I desire to spend time to talk to you everyday as well as spend time in your word. to do the will of the Father.
  • kimbershep
    kimbershep Posts: 72
    Options
    LUKE 2:41-52
    52 Jesus grew in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and all the people.

OBSERVATION
    The Passover festival...such a great event that makes you sit back in awe of God's greatness when you think back on where it derived from...being obedient to God and being obedient to Moses who God spoke through. Such a great miracle for the firstborn of the Israelites to be passed over because of their obedience and faith in God. For the Passover festival the people traveled together in groups which was much safer because of robbers who were more than likely rebels who lived on the outskirts. So, it probably made it ok for Jesus to not be right next to his parents which is why they didn't notice he was gone until later. I can only imagine what kind of emotions were flowing through them when they couldn't find him. For a moment, they allowed their flesh to take over and was looking at the situation as any parent would. They forgot who he really was and know that God would never allow anything to happen to Jesus. Jesus tried to bring them back to the realization when he asked them why did they have to search but they didn't fully understand. They knew Jesus was the Son of God but didn't know the details of His mission here on earth. As a mother, Mary had to let go and allow Jesus to become a man, all the while walking in the path that God set for Him. I have a little over 3 years before I do the same. I am SO scared but at the same time know that I am teaching her well to be able to face the world.

PRAYER
    Heavenly Father, thank you for allowing us freedom and life through Christ. Thank you for grace and mercy each day. I ask that you would continue to cover me as I learn to become more obedient to your word. Reveal to me things that I need to know and shield me from any harm. I ask that you will bless my children and husband that we will all continue to walk in love, obedience and unity. In your Son Jesus' name I pray, Amen.
  • abelair413
    abelair413 Posts: 3
    Options
    In Response to PaulaJ1887

Very true the bible uses many terms that help determine what is being represented such as "Naos" (indirectly referring to the Holy Temple in Jerusalem) or "Herion" ( a Shrine or Chapel of sorts) requiring us to look closely at the context.