Healthy Resturants?

Options
WrenAlive
WrenAlive Posts: 23 Member
Figure we need some more Edmonton Love.
Any reccomendations for good date night resturants that wont send me sky rocketing over my Calorie goal on the weekend? (& my fiancee is also on MFP so he won't want to cheat either)

I'm on the West End, but am always looking for good places on the southside or central as well , or like this weekend, Old Strathcona

Replies

• sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I think you can find healthy options at almost any restaurant in our city. The ones I would avoid would be Olive Garden and Red Lobster, I tend to think of where I want to go and then look up the nutritional information on their website. Or you can modify your order so it is healthy.
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    LOL would love to find out the answer to this as well! usually i just plan a day in advance and work my little butt off as much as possible to lessen the impact!! as a family we like smitty's, date night… trying hard to remember what that is! lol! last time it was bingo!!! the fries and gravy are my kryptonite!
  • MrSJWinship
    MrSJWinship Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yeah unfortunately Edmonton is mostly Known for the Chain Restaurants. But im taking my mother somewhere for her birthday? any healthy ideas? location wise? Also any Edmontonians wanna Add me please feel free!
  • sandrahulleman
    Options
    I am an EA in Edmonton, and I plan a lot of events. There are a lot of great restaurants that are not chains.

The DIsh and Spoon - proper portions and good food
    Century Grill
    Doan's - lots of vegetable dishes and you control the amount of rice/noodles you eat
    Blue Plate Diner - some vegetarian/gluten free options
    The Marc - pricey but nice for somewhere special - reservations are a must

I hope this helps!!!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Century Grill? really??!?!?!?
  • sandrahulleman
    Options
    It all depends what you pick. Even McDonald's has healthy salads if you go with grilled chicken and use only 1/2 of the dressing. Portion control and choices. Century Grill has a lovely chicken dish that comes with lots of veggies.
  • waistfinder
    waistfinder Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily for dating, but my latest new love is Extreme Pita. The sauces really kick, so I ask for half. I burn about 120 calories just to walk there, and drink 500mls water just to make up for salivating.
  • Bikinigirl47
    Bikinigirl47 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love Cactus Club and Earls; and I always ask to halve my portions.
  • JJMorrocco
    JJMorrocco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm on board with the Extreme Pita - use their tazhitki sauce and its low cal (greek yogurt). Although the thread is about a place to t ake a date, EP is not ideal for that.

As for date nights - we tend to take less of them now, and enjoy them more. Keep it in moderation and treat yourself for a success. Be sure to not let the exercise slip that day.

Don't be fooled by 'halthy' options - most of those suaces on the salad are calorie full.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My favourite healthy restaurants are:

Padmanadi - http://www.padmanadi.com/
    Noorish - http://noorish.ca/
    Loma House - http://www.lomahousevegexpress.com/

In my opinion, healthy eating; besides healthy ingredients, is mostly about portion control.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Joey Tomato and Cactus Club are starting to list nutritional info from their menus, love both places! Noorish is good also (vegetarian restaurant.. possibly vegan), I've heard a lot of good things about Sofra as well (Mediterranean).
    As said in this thread already, I also think that portion control and choosing healthy ingredients is key :).
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Not for a date night, but here's another vote for Extreme Pita when on the run for lunch. They are very into healthy ingredients and plainly post their nutritional information on a very large poster in-store. My go-to is the falafel pita with tzatziki. Mmmm!

For date night I love me a salad at Earl's. I seem to remember Milestones having a lot of good protein + veg combos. Same with Murrieta's on Whyte (mind you it has been a while!).
  • MinimizingMichelle
    MinimizingMichelle Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The Pourhouse on Whyte has great options that are so good without the excessive calories. They don't even serve fries or have a fryer!
  • asharoonie
    asharoonie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You can always just ask for healthier options. I tend to end up at Moxies a fair bit with friends and get some kind of protein and double broccoli as the side.
  • exohglo
    exohglo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    DONT go to Famoso lol I was pretty disappointed when I punched the pizza i wanted into my fitness pal last night. ridiculous amount of calories. Ended up getting a Wiseguy sandwich with no cheese and only had 2 of the 4 wedges.

What was funny is I asked the waitress if they had a nutrition guide for their food, she said they didn't but to download my fitness pal haha, told her i was on that already.

I feel like you should be able to find healthy options at any restaurant. And if not, ask them to hold things that will boost the calorie intake, like the cheese on the Wiseguy sandwich like i mentioned.
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    DONT go to Famoso lol I was pretty disappointed when I punched the pizza i wanted into my fitness pal last night. ridiculous amount of calories. Ended up getting a Wiseguy sandwich with no cheese and only had 2 of the 4 wedges.

What was funny is I asked the waitress if they had a nutrition guide for their food, she said they didn't but to download my fitness pal haha, told her i was on that already.

I feel like you should be able to find healthy options at any restaurant. And if not, ask them to hold things that will boost the calorie intake, like the cheese on the Wiseguy sandwich like i mentioned.

Their website isn't very helpful for nutrional info either.
    And unfortunately Famoso is a go-to for us because we live so close to one.
    As much as I love their pizza (proscuitto & arugala *drool*), I always get the Napoli salad with chicken and no bread... and just nibble my fiance's pizza :blushing: Yummy yummy!!
  • exohglo
    exohglo Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Their website isn't very helpful for nutrional info either.
    And unfortunately Famoso is a go-to for us because we live so close to one.
    As much as I love their pizza (proscuitto & arugala *drool*), I always get the Napoli salad with chicken and no bread... and just nibble my fiance's pizza :blushing: Yummy yummy!!

mmm I'll have to try that next time
  • AB4u
    AB4u Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Love this topic!!

I have a list:

- Tiramisu Cafe (don't let the name fool you)
    - Colonel Mustard Sandwich Canteen
    -Earl's (lots of options)
    -Moxies (lots of options and yummy salads)
    -Vi's for Pies (don't let the name fool you)
    -Chianti's (lovely salads and soups)