New to the group.

Options
Junebugsc
Junebugsc Posts: 34 Member
Hi everyone. My name is June and I have been reading about heavy lifting. All the success pics I see are smaller girls. Guess I am wondering if this is something I should try now, 298lbs, or wait t I lose more weight? Anyone else close to weight doing this program now? Also I am 45 and want to lose the weight but more important to me is to build my strength up.

Also I had seen mention of an app for iPhone. What is the name of the app?

Thanks! Have great day.

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    welcome!! lift away too, it'll help support you better and you'll burn calories faster :)
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Hi! I didn't get into lifting until I had lost quite a bit of weight, but I'd be so much stronger now if I had! I just had no idea at the time how awesome it would be.

For inspiration, however, check out nz_deevaa, she started lifting when she weighed 275, and she is definitely awesome.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/824518-fat-girl-dead-lifting
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome.

I say go for it--the stronger you are the better.

And I found the app just by searching for Stronglifts on my iPhone. I think that's actually the name of it.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not quite your size, my starting weight was 226, but I have been lifting all along even though I'm fat. If you begin lifting now, you have a better chance to retain lots of the muscle that you have now -- and you have lots 'cause your heavy -- and you don't have to try to build it back later. It's *much* easier for a woman to retain muscle than to build it back after losing it.

If you eat at a deficit you will lose weight. Your strength gains won't be as fast, but they'll still be awesome. I am impressed with what I've been able to gain so far. I am 49 years old. I do some cardio after I lift and I am trying to go for a walk on my rest days. I've been losing 1 1/2 pounds per week. Simple & easy & fun (most of the time).

Hope that helps some!
  • Junebugsc
    Junebugsc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the warm welcome! Thanks for encouragement! My husband are both starting the program on Monday! Using this weekend to watch the videos and try to learn the proper form and how each exercise is done! I did find the app also!

Thanks again!

June