The Story Begins - First Attempt

psuhorseshoe
psuhorseshoe Posts: 29 Member
So I have tried C25k last year and made it up to maybe week three. This year I have yet to make it through the first week of c25k on a different app because it was so boring, so I figured I would try the Zombies one for more fun and motivation. Feel free to friend me, I could use the additional encouragement, in addition to the impending zombie invasion. I will also try to keep up with a blog about my progress.

Anyway, I did the first "Mission" today and had a few questions. My phone had some glitches and I was a little confused.
First, it took me about 45 minutes to do the intro while working out on the treadmill. Partially because my phone stopped after the first transmission and I had to do that over again. But my main question was, it seemed like there was a long time between transmissions. I tried to run/jog in between transmissions but after running for 1:30-3:00 minutes I had to go back to walking for another 3 minutes or so until the next one. I just assumed I should run during the breaks and walk during transmissions. Is that correct. How much were these suppose to be spaced out? I am thinking that because I was on the treadmill holding my the phone it didn't register movement/distance as well as it would in GPS mode. In looking at my Pedometer app, that registered walking/running, it said I did over 12 minutes of running total and about a mile in distance. Does anybody have tips on using the app on the treadmill?

Also, looking at tomorrows mission, it says 10 minutes of free form running. What is that, I am hoping they don't expect me to run for ten minutes on the second day. I mean I can try but its not very likely.

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Hi,
    I had the same problem when I started with this app. ~and I say problem because as soon as I did the second day mission, everything became very clear.

I ran my out of shape fanny off during the 'intro' mission. I thought, OMG I can't do this! I actually bought a different app. I did that app once and was so bored; after the fun intro I'd almost killed myself doing. haha

You need to set up your play list so you at listening to tunes during the transmission 'gaps.' (not sure if you did that or not)
    The transmissions are infrequent. They will stop your music or talk over it.

The second mission has you walk then run for 15 seconds, finishing with the 10 minute free form run... which they will explain is, walk, run or use any combination of the two, depending on your comfort level.

I think the app is awesome, but I think they missed the mark at the beginning of the intro run. They should have explained that they didn't expect you to be running between every transmission.
    We can't be the only two people who were confused by this.
  • psuhorseshoe
    psuhorseshoe Posts: 29 Member
    Thank you for your help. I want to do the second mission tonight, but after last night, I feel like my legs are going to fall off! I also didn't have any music on my phone at the time which made it pretty boring trying to wait out transmissions and orders, but I just downloaded the Walking Dead Sound Track (should be fitting).
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    I found that I had really interesting music choices like I will survive, Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, I don't wanna stop, Still Alive. And even though the missions themselves don't tell you, if you listen to the end of the session, they will usually tell you to take a day or so off inbetween, though I've seen people saying that they like to do a mission every day (my first time, so I'm taking it slow :D ).
  • amtzfamly
    amtzfamly Posts: 12
    Hey PSUHORSESHOE

The reason that it took a while was because you have to have your music list going. I had the same problem when I first started. I'm on week 7 ep3.

GOOD LUCK and DON"T GIVE UP!