Protein Snacks

Options
bound4beauty
bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
This has been the most challenging thing for me. I'm mostly not sure of the portion sizes. In the book she says that a snack of deli meat is 2 oz. But what about tuna or egg whiles as a snack?

In regards to the nitrate-free jerky, does it have to be sugar free as well?

Any suggestions for other protein snacks?

Replies

• michellyn
    michellyn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, a protein snack is half the meal size portion. I like the turkey bacon cooked up crispy as a snack. I don't want to use my whole package too fast (and I get lots of enjoyment out of a little), so I usually do 1/2 turkey bacon, 1/2 microwaved, salted and peppered egg whites when I have it (but if going out would do just turkey bacon or turkey bacon and hard boiled egg whites).

I believe we're supposed to try to avoid sugar in jerky as well (though I think I saw her comment that if that was the only nitrate free kind someone could find, she might let a tiny bit of sugar slide).
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    So how many slices of turkey bacon is a serving? I really wish she had serving sizes in the food lists. Do you go by the meat size serving which is 5 oz. and then cut that in half?
  • PghPammy
    PghPammy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's really pretty simple if you follow the book guidelines and use a food scale (very inexpensive and easy to find). 4 oz of meat or 6 oz of fish is 1 serving. Meat is meat whether it's turkey bacon, chicken breast or ground buffalo. Once you measure portions a couple of times, you can keep a list (for example how many strips of bacon or how many pieces of jerky = 1 serving). I also have a couple of small bowls I use where I know 1/2 full is a 1/2 cup, full is 1 cup and heaping is 1 1/2 cups. I use them for oats & grains.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    What's confusing to me is the protein portion sizes for snacks. A snack size portion of deli meat is 2 oz. So, it would stand to reason that a snack size potion of turkey bacon would be smaller as well. Maybe I'll just go with the 2 oz. rule for that as well.