Welcome everyone!

Options
Abenstern
Abenstern Posts: 46 Member
I'm glad that you've decided to join us here. I've been a convention goer for almost 6 years now, and I've slowly gained weight. I'm ready to lose it now, and I'm going to keep trying hard because there are several cosplays I want to do. However I really need to lose a lot weight to do them, so I hope with the support of my fellows I can do that.

Replies

• bubpuff
    bubpuff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I am also motivated to lose weight for convention purposes, among others. I pack my weight on my belly, but I've thus far only really lost weight in my legs arms and face. Good luck with your weight loss :)
  • Melli_Moo
    Melli_Moo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight since I was a child. I have a folder on my computer FULL of characters I'd like to go as. It's so heartbreaking that I can't be most of the characters, so I've put off going to my first con. WHEW I finally admitted it!
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Yay! I completely understand how you feel; I also want to lose weight so that it'll be easier for me to cosplay and wear Lolita fashion. Most Lolita clothes are made for people with a 68cm to 90 cm waist, and I have a 96 cm waist :/ Also, I feel like I will look better if I cosplay at a healthy weight. So yeah, I want to get in that 70s cm range by December which will happen once I lose 53 pounds. I fully support you, and I hope we both achieve our goals in due time. <3 ^_^
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    @ RunningFrom25 Ughh. That basically describes me too. It sucks to start off overweight as a child....
  • Abenstern
    Abenstern Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I'd about given up hope on cosplay in general, but then I realize that the only thing that was stopping me from doing them was well... me. I'm also a panelist at Cons, and I feel out of place if I'm not in cosplay. I'm determined now to fix it. I think working together, all of us can reach the goals we want.
  • Melli_Moo
    Melli_Moo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's just awful that we don't look very good in cosplay as a bigger person, even if that character IS overweight. LOL We can do this! I'm happy to add anyone here as a friend for accountability :)
  • bubpuff
    bubpuff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't think people who are overweight should be afraid to cosplay. I've seen large people pull of costumes quite gracefully. It's all about picking the right character and clothes in a way that is flattering I suppose? :) So who would you guys like to cosplay most? I'm going to a convention in Vancouver in August and I'm cosplaying Ruffnut from How to Train Your Dragon, the Happy Mask Salesman from Zelda, and Cagalli from Gundam Seed.
  • viridian7
    Options
    I'm so glad this group exists! I'm going to my first conventions in mid-May and September, and I *really* want to be in shape for them. I'm cosplaying as a Power Ranger (full-body spandex is not very flattering...) in September, and I have another cosplay that I would love to wear but is quite stomach-baring. My goal is to get toned and have abs so I can wear it proudly!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad this group exists! I'm going to my first conventions in mid-May and September, and I *really* want to be in shape for them. I'm cosplaying as a Power Ranger (full-body spandex is not very flattering...) in September, and I have another cosplay that I would love to wear but is quite stomach-baring. My goal is to get toned and have abs so I can wear it proudly!

I'm also glad to see this group! I'm attending one of the cons with the above poster in September, though I am not yet sure who exactly I will be cosplaying as. I think my level of fitness will play a significant role in deciding that. It doesn't help that I've been backsliding a bit lately, so I need to recommit so that I can rock something amazing in a few months.
  • anaduffy
    anaduffy Posts: 74
    Options
    @ runnigfrom25 First of all you can't say you wouldn't look goo as a character until you've tried it. I went to metro con last year and they had at least one but maybe more panels on plus size cosplay and some of the bigger chicks looked better than a lot of the skinny ones so don't let te fact that you are bigger than you'd like to be stop you from playing who you want to be.

Ps I've been big my whole life. you just can't let it get you down
  • ExtraAwesome
    Options
    Looking forward to losing a little so that I can draft out patterns for costumes easier. I don't think I'd go all the way to skimpy but it would make it a hella lot easier to make jackets fit properly.

Not impossible now but would be easier without a muffin top.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm not all that interested in losing weight, but would like to distribute the weight a little better - we're picking up the convention visiting again (now that my little boy's old enough to participate), and I have awesome father/son cosplay ideas.
  • Camilleathome
    Camilleathome Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't think people who are overweight should be afraid to cosplay. I've seen large people pull of costumes quite gracefully. It's all about picking the right character and clothes in a way that is flattering I suppose? :) So who would you guys like to cosplay most? I'm going to a convention in Vancouver in August and I'm cosplaying Ruffnut from How to Train Your Dragon, the Happy Mask Salesman from Zelda, and Cagalli from Gundam Seed.

I agree its all about confidence and having fun. Im losing weight to be healthy and for many many other reasons(One of them is so that I can ride my smaller horse as i am too heavy for him). I go to three main conventions. Hal-con, Harbour-con(I will be hosting a doctor who panel, rocky horror picture show and co-hosting a yaoi panel there this year) and Animaritimes. I would love to make it to Gallifrey one eventually
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I was really set on going to my first con in june but since I haven't gotten to be where I want yet I think I'm going to push it off till fall. T_T I've got sooooooo many costume ideas bubbling up in my head i just need the body to wear em on >_<

Its okay though I use this as a big motivation when I work out and stuff :D
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I was really set on going to my first con in june but since I haven't gotten to be where I want yet I think I'm going to push it off till fall. T_T I've got sooooooo many costume ideas bubbling up in my head i just need the body to wear em on >_<

Its okay though I use this as a big motivation when I work out and stuff :D

That sounds like my train of thought too, im about a third in on my current costume and more keep popping into my head! Plus it's great motivation too for losing weight :smile:
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    Options
    I went to comic cons many years ago, but gained weight (over 300#) and became physically limited. Now I can move again, but don't know what to go to in the San Francisco Bay area. Any suggestions? And is it okay to just dress up in the general feel of sci fi/fantasy? Or do you have to be a specific character? I want to dress up, but don't want to stand out. Any advice appreciated.