Stronglifts and BF reduction

Can I expect to see a reduction in BF in the early weeks if I am eating at a deficit (TDEE - 15%)?

Replies

• victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    I am unsure of the "early weeks" but.. I have been doing SL for about 3 months now and I have seen a significant reduction in body fat. Eating below your TDEE and lifting will usually do that for you :)
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    I am unsure of the "early weeks" but.. I have been doing SL for about 3 months now and I have seen a significant reduction in body fat. Eating below your TDEE and lifting will usually do that for you :)

Early weeks meaning when you first start.

• BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    I've been doing stronglifts and losing body fat right along at a good clip. IF the calculators are to be believe (and that's a big IF), I haven't lost any LBM at all, and have been losing bodyfat at about 2% per month. But, you can see from my ticker/profile that I have a lot to lose. I've been eating at a 20%-25% deficit (I was shooting for 20% but the actual TDEE seems to be higher than average, so I was eating at a larger cut than I thought I was).

TL;DR: Yes.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    I had a 5% reduction in my first 5 weeks, eating around a 20% TDEE - but that was actually too deep a cut after a while to fuel the lifting, and I lifted it to around 10% - and am still losing bodyfat.

It's important to remember when you start lifting that the scale will lie to you, and it can't be trusted. Take measurements and pictures, note how your clothes are fitting - those are your more accurate markers of success.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    I answered my own question tonight after my first session.. my hearts beating so hard! Its going to work I can tell just by squating 20kg bar (no weights yet!). I'm reaaaaly pleased I decided to do it, was ready to not bother many times!
  • linski24
    linski24 Posts: 155 Member
    I've just finished 71/2 weeks .... I'm going to have to see what my bf is ... I don't see s difference yet x
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    body fat loss per month of lifting only no other exercise.

1st month - .8%
    2nd month - 1%
    3rd month - .8%

stable muscle over the 3 months
  • linski24
    linski24 Posts: 155 Member
    body fat loss per month of lifting only no other exercise.

1st month - .8%
    2nd month - 1%
    3rd month - .8%

stable muscle over the 3 months

Blimey .... Iv not had that at all ..!!!! My bf has remained the same ..!!
    I'm so pants at everything ..!!!!!!!
  • Basically agreeing with the rest of the advice here, you will see a change in body comp/% bf but you might not see it in the first few weeks unless you are a person that naturally drops fat very quickly. Biologically, at least 2-6 weeks of initial strength gains come mainly due to improved neural adaptation, and not until after that will you see actually changes in terms of muscle hypertrophy (incr fibers or incr size of fibers).

However I do believe within the first few weeks you will already begin feeling awesome and strong and loving your BA Bod!! :smile:

In 2 months my average % bf (btwn navy and covert methods) has dropped .25% but I've also lost .5 inch of my waist, 2.5 inches at belly button, and amazingly 2 inches off my muffin top (yup, I measure that.) In contrast my calf muscles have grown half an inch. I'm eating on a very mild and honestly quite inconsistent deficit (TDEE - 20% to maybe -5% depending on my energy level) So I'm a pretty happy camper.

I just updated my ticker to show pics, because I failed at posting them in the progress section lol.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    I'm dropping about 1% every 4-6 weeks and I'm hideously inconsistent at lifting from week to week. Size of deficit doesn't seem to make an difference to the % I lose, as in I'm still losing BF now at maintenance-ish despite not really losing weight.