Meals at Bike Rallys

Options
papa46368
papa46368 Posts: 3 Member
Just wondering what meals everyone is taking to the various bike rallys which seem to be over run by beer, brats and pizza? While I would never take salad to a bike rally, there has to be a happy medium of food that is better for you but not embarrassing to break out. Any suggestions is appreciated.

Replies

• ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    In honor of Laconia Bike Week last week - Turkey Legs! Best food at the rally!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I rarely partake of Rally grub. I'm the guy that always has a Stanley Thermos full of homemade egg flower soup in his tail bag. And water. And a couple protein bars. And enough cigars for myself and everyone I expect to run into. And.....don't tell anyone...a flask.
  • nicole6877
    Options
    I try and eat someplace else even a coffee shop would be better than a roach coach. If I must grab something near the vendors, Indian tacos are good and you dont have to eat the bread, and a michlobe ultra...:drinker:
  • papa46368
    papa46368 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your responses. Now I know that I am not alone and wondering what I should eat at the bike rallys.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go to any venue that I know will probably only be serving unhealthy food I will bring a stash of protein bars (the kind that aren't chocolate coated and don't melt in the sun, like ON Whey Crisps) and water.
  • idahoprincess72
    idahoprincess72 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I usually bring fruit and water in a cooler so when my husband enjoys the greasy foods, I can snack in a healthy manner. I just wash & prep it at home and pop it into baggies. We're riding to a weekend rally in Wyoming tomorrow through Sunday, so protein bars & fruit will be my friends this weekend. :)
  • annetteajordan
    Options
    Since I am a low carb high protein type gal, I eat the same food just throw away buns and any accompanying fries or chips. Since fats are normally not my concern I just ignore them till I get home....lol . I stick with water and usually bring a zip lock bag of protein powder that I dump in the last 1/2 of the bottle of water for snack. The protein powder seems to hold better than a protein bar which has a tendency to melt.
  • annetteajordan
    Options
    In honor of Laconia Bike Week last week - Turkey Legs! Best food at the rally!

Love this rally,... I went in 2009. So beautiful....
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Geez I hadn't thought about this yet... :grumble:

I don't eat anything that has sweeteners or refined flours, and I am (recently) gluten free. One reliable thing that I can eat at rallies is Frito Pies :snarf: But losing weight too is gonna throw a monkey wrench in the works this year... yeesh.

I will look for chicken breast or turkey legs (great idea!), try to find some veggies that haven't been drowned in fats or breaded -- maybe corn on the cob I guess is the best I'll be able to do. Beans are good carbs for me too.

When we travel, I also always bring lots of my own food. V-8 juice, some protein-carb things that I make that I call yam cakes -- that would be instead of the protein bars that other folks have mentioned -- a hamburger bun that meets my needs, and like Anneteajorda I bring protein powder, almond milk, oat flour, and banana baby food to make a protein shake for breakfast.

We camp, so we have a small cooler on one of our bikes and we'll cook meats for dinner. I bring freeze dried veggies to make stews and that kind of thing. I have freeze dried sweet potato and green beans, etc. to round out what I find while I'm on the road.

Thanks for bumping this thread. I need to get my thinking cap on... riding season is coming! :smokin:

Elaine in CO
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    As a passenger I'd drink a few beers then switch to soda. Now that I'm a Solo Rider no beer for me! Probably have one soda and switch to water. I always have on hand a protein / energy bar, some raw almonds in my pocket and sugar free gum no matter what!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I feel like big bike events are something that I don't do often enough (sadly not a lot of free time for them) , but I try to not think too much about my diet. Obviously I do my best to portion things, maybe 1 slice of a pizza and a light beer. Burgers aren't bad if you avoid cheese and mayo. But for my bottom line is these events are supposed to be fun and enjoyable, not dread and fear that you might not be perfect that one day. So if there is anything I limit it would be the booze, for obvious reasons plus it puts a major damper on your metabolism for the day.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i like the beer, brats and pizza..
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    @atjays, good call on not to dread going to a Rally because of what to eat or not eat but rather to have fun!

We all know how to limit certain items, to use portion control in our daily life so this really shouldn't be any different. I'll continue to pack protein bars, seeds, craisins, almonds, apples and I plan to premix my protein powder w/flax seed & PB2 then put in snack size baggies to use on the Road....I'm excited because this new protein powder I have tastes great mixed with water :bigsmile:

The freeze dried foods I'll have to check out, thanks for the tip Gesneramor
  • ftwmc
    ftwmc Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Found this works for me can loose weight when partying. Drink scotch whiskey ( a doctor told me it helps with your metabolism ) not beer, bourbon, or rum throw in some water, cut soda drinks out and eat the leanest protein (steak sandwiches work for me).
    If I get nibbly and start looking for crisps, etc I have water and a squeeze of lemon, clears the palate and stops me nibbling.
    Spent two weeks at a club function of heavy drinking and partying, lost 5 kilos over the time.
    One night of beer , chips and bourbon gain 5 kilos that takes a month to shift
  • TammyS327
    TammyS327 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just got back from Thunder on the beach. Luckily there was no shortage of great grilled and raw seafood.
    Most of the rallies in this part of the country have crawfish with corn on the cob, which I will indulge in. There is always barbecue or grilled chicken, and pork.
    I tend to eat what I want and work it off when the weekend is over. I have found out I cant eat as much as I use to and don't like the greasy stuff anymore.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    Options
    Just got back from Thunder on the beach. Luckily there was no shortage of great grilled and raw seafood.
    Most of the rallies in this part of the country have crawfish with corn on the cob, which I will indulge in. There is always barbecue or grilled chicken, and pork.
    I tend to eat what I want and work it off when the weekend is over. I have found out I cant eat as much as I use to and don't like the greasy stuff anymore.

I really need to come to your neck of the woods and eat a ton of seafood. The problem is, what's seafood without butter? :wink:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Got a rally next week. Bringing a couple mason jars of "Homemade" Hooch.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    Options
    I think we need rally reports in this group! With pix!!
  • dsl01
    dsl01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think we need rally reports in this group! With pix!!

I'll be at get together this weekend in SC, I'll post a pic from top of the Cherohala Skyway.