Bench press with feet on bench because...

dafoots0911
dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
I know I will probably get a few "not a good idea" responses for this but no matter what weight I use, low or high I have to position my feet on the bench.

Here's why. I happen to have a bubble butt (no, it didn't head south at 54) and when I place my feet on the floor, my back is arched and it is not comfortable. I have tried to put my feet elevated on plates and a step. The only way my low back will lay flat on the bench is with my feet on the bench. So to try to bench press with my feet on the floor and concentrate on keeping my back pressed against the bench was causing me to lose form. So this is why I put my feet on the bench.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,089 Member
    You are supposed to have your back arched.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    You are supposed to have your back arched.

^^

There should be a gap between your lumbar spine and the bench, and you should see the natural curvature. That's the best position for your spine, and the most supportive.

Here is a Rippetoe video about it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBNeeeTId1M
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Do you have a bad back that makes the arch difficult for you?
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Medical conditions notwithstanding, your back should be held in its natural arch, which is why bench works your core as well as your upper body - you need to be able to hold the curve. If your back is stiff and holding it arched is uncomfortable, you may want to look at things like daily back extensions, cobra stretch, child pose and cat-camel stretches to help with flexibility.
  • dafoots0911
    Did bench press today and realized my feet don't touch the floor. So what if the bench is set on a decline?

Okay, took hubbies advice. I have a step with risers and placed it in front of the bench and it worked. Wow! I could feel it more in my core than I did with my feet on the bench and it didn't bother my lower back -- well at first because I was thinking about it. But I never knew you should also get a core workout with a bench press.
  • DaniH826
    Rather than a decline (which doesn't really do anything except change the angle of the press and work a different muscle group, use weights or bricks for added height under your feet.

Believe it or not, bench presses are whole-body moves, and your lower body has to be stabilized properly in order for you to bench press properly.
  • dafoots0911
    Do you have a bad back that makes the arch difficult for you?
    I do have low back issues -- stiffness. I just figured it comes with maturity (old age).
  • dafoots0911
    Rather than a decline (which doesn't really do anything except change the angle of the press and work a different muscle group, use weights or bricks for added height under your feet.

Believe it or not, bench presses are whole-body moves, and your lower body has to be stabilized properly in order for you to bench press properly.
    Thank you so much for this. I never thought a bench press was considered a whole body move. As I posted above, I tried it with a step with risers in front of the bench and tried it out and it felt good without low back issues.
  • DaniH826
    Thank you so much for this. I never thought a bench press was considered a whole body move. As I posted above, I tried it with a step with risers in front of the bench and tried it out and it felt good without low back issues.

Sure thing! If that works for you, then just keep doing it that way. :smile:

I have low back issues too, which is why it's important that our spines are aligned properly and our backs protected rather than in some awkward, unnatural position. Good posture is still the best protection (and working those core muscles, of course).

When you bench, make sure to lift up your chest some (point those lady parts upward!) so that you actually press with your chest and not just your arms. As you stick your chest out, your lower back should arch naturally. Just make sure your butt stays firmly planted on the bench and doesn't go anywhere. You know you're doing it right when you can feel your pectoral muscles (chest) working hard and not just your arms and shoulders. You can try the difference even sitting upright as to discovering which muscles end up being involved with certain movements. :smile:
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    On YouTube there's a series of videos called "So You Think You Can Bench". Totally changed the way I bench. His videos go into a lot of detail too which is nice.

Here's part one if anyone is interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw
  • On YouTube there's a series of videos called "So You Think You Can Bench". Totally changed the way I bench. His videos go into a lot of detail too which is nice.

Here's part one if anyone is interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw

Thanks for posting! Very interesting.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    the comment about arched back was really useful, I looked at a couple of videos before going to the gym yesterday and I'm sure it made a difference to my lifting! I definitely tense everything before lifting too, ensuring my core is engaged. I'm feeling muscle under there somewhere! :)