Heightened sense of smelll after VSG

Options
klj748
klj748 Posts: 10 Member
Hey I've started to notice that I have a really heightened sense of smell since surgery. Anyone else experience this? Does it go away? I find that bad smells in the city (I live in Sydney) start to make me really nauseous. Perfume, others body odor, and fried food are the worst. I can smell KFC from a few block away. I'm starting to feel like Toucan Sam!

Replies

• heathermcclellan
    Options
    Yep experienced that plus a heightened sense of taste.
  • SherriPangus
    SherriPangus Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes have a had an heightened sense of smell, not always good either! I thought I was just crazy lol!
  • MrsKTillman
    Options
    YES.. worse then when i was prego!
  • klj748
    Options
    Glad to know I'm not just imagining it!! I've got the heighten sense of taste issue as well. In fact everything tastes a bit different postop.
  • mitzi1006
    mitzi1006 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem for about 6 weeks after surgery. It eventually went away although strong smells like garlic still make me a little nauseous.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    People told me that my taste would change after surgery and I didn't believe them. I think the smell thing has a lot to do with my tastes changing. I'm almost three years out, and I still don't like things I use to die for.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yes, smells and your taste will change after VSG. It took me about 4 months to get it back after that food tasted the same/better and smells didn't bother me as bad. You can use peppermint oil on a cloth if smells really bother you.
    Good luck!
  • klj748
    Options
    Great idea, thanks!