Lower back assistance exercises?

Options
xidia
xidia Posts: 606 Member
My lower back has always been somewhat inflexible and fairly weak. SL is helping, but I've now reached the point where it's the limiting factor on my squats and DLs.

Should I add in assistance exercises to target the lower back? Do them at the end of a work out? Do them on off days? Just progress more slowly on those two lifts and gain strength that way?

I can do unweighted back extensions/supermans at home, and I could do weighted ones at the gym (but only on lifting days). Are there any other exercises that would help?

I do lower back stretches one way or another on most days but they don't seem to be helping. (I've been to a physio and had it confirmed that it is my lower back that's the issue and NOT the hamstrings, despite the fact that it's my hamstrings that hurt while trying to touch my toes). Mostly I do yoga and pilates poses as stretches (cat-camel, forward bend, downward dog, hip-chest-chin to the floor, cobra, mermaid twists, childs pose, the standing back bend from the sun salutations sequence, and a wonderful supine spine twist I don't know the name for.)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    The upward dog pose is an excellent stretch for your lower back. Your yoga instructor might even know a thing or two as well if problems persist. A great assistance exercise is back extensions.

If you've tried these things and still have issues, I don't know what the problem can be.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I do back raises if my back needs work (on the floor, face down, raise back up then lower). You can do them in the gym too on that back raise thing (have no idea what it is called)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I think that both weighted and non-weighted back extensions certainly wouldn't hurt. Where you put them in is totally up to you. Maybe start off with non-weighted on your non lifting days and then as you need to progress switch to weighted on lifting days? Another option would be good mornings, which would fit nicely on your lifting days.....could kind of incorporate both exercises maybe?
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I was in a car accident some years ago and my lower back is giving me fits all the time now when I work out.

There are several yoga poses that strengthen your spinal erectors, such as locust pose (it's basically a back raise on the floor that you hold rather than go up and down with like you would on a gym machine).

Having said that ... look for yoga poses that strengthen your abs also, since all of your core muscles work together. So planks etc. are going to be your friend.

Slow down on your weight progression would be my suggestion. Let your weaker muscles catch up. I have to really force myself to progress slowly and let my body tell me what it's ready for. Even so, I still pull things, but that's just me being me.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Dani brings up a good point about core work that I totally forgot to mention. Yoga is really good for core strength if you don't already do it :smile:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I went to a meeting last night smelling strongly of muscle rub after my lower back was like "HEY I NOTICED YOU DEADLIFTED 120 POUNDS TODAY. I STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH YOU TRYING TO DO THAT." :huh:

So I tried to make it happy by buying a Swiss ball and hanging backwards over it for a bit.

It seemed to rather like that. :smile:
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions. You might also add in bow pose to your yoga arsenal. Is it your muscles that are tight, or are you having pain in your spine?

And yes, my back likes the Swiss ball, too. :smile:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    I also think it's important to note that it's not "bad" to experience discomfort when increasing weights as we do on this program. IMO there is a difference between pain due to injury and pain due to challenging yourself (DOMS). Now with that being said, I'm still a big advocate of not sacrificing form for weight, however I do think that "pain" can be two separate issues :happy:
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies (and guy!)

Vegas - this is definitely the "I'm not sure if I pulled something" sort of feeling rather than general "I worked out hard and now I can feel it" (I have that too, but not in my back!)

Kirabob - it usually doesn't actually hurt. I'll see how I feel tomorrow after this morning's efforts. It is, generally, horrendously tight. For instance, I used to not be able to sit up with my legs straight out in front of me, let alone lean forward to try to touch my toes. I can now sit up and lean a little way forward.

Dani et al: I'll do some more research on good mornings, bow pose and back extensions to put together a routine I can do. Swiss ball - I don't have one, but I might need to get one. Or I do have an arched back stretcher on my Amazon wishlist which I suspect would do something similar. My foam roller is going to get some quality time this evening too before FH gives me a massage!

On yoga/core: my core has got A LOT stronger since I started SL, and I've actually got more abs now than I ever got from doing "ab workouts". I do need to get back to Pilates though - it's the one I've taken some classes in, so I'll start with that rather than trying to find the time and money to go to a yoga class. My chiro will be pleased with me - he reminds me every month that Pilates is good for me.:blushing:

Thanks again.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    the one nexus was thinking of is the hyperextension I think, I do those and they are great. I've definitely noticed they are better since doing lifting! I'm not BAMF enough to do them with additional weights but you can!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    I actually didn't even think to ask if you currently foam roll? My low back can get awfully tight too and I have noticed a BIG difference since that foam roller initially tried to kill me. Maybe give that a go too :)
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    locust pose really targets my lower back. camel pose is pretty good too. upward facing dog.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I was wondering about this myself, and popped in here and there it was! :bigsmile: