Phase 1 Recipes and Tips

Options
michellyn
michellyn Posts: 108 Member
Share your recipes and tips for Phase 1 here!

Replies

• michellyn
    Options
    Homemade Spaghetti Sauce (tastes a little like Prego)

8 oz tomato sauce
    6 oz. tomato paste
    28 oz crushed tomatoes
    Stevia to taste (original recipe has 1 1/2 T sugar)
    2 t. basil
    1 t. salt
    1/2 t. pepper
    1 1/2 t. onion salt
    3 cloves minced garlic
    1 t. Italian seasoning
    2 t. worcestershire sauce

Combine all in saucepan and bring to a boil. Serve over brown rice pasta cooked al dente (you could brown your ground beef and add it to your portion to add additional flavor).

This is a great recipe that you can make for your family as well as yourself (I can't afford the brown rice pasta for everyone, so I make my pasta separate from theirs, but this way I have only one sauce to prepare).
  • michellyn
    Options
    No Tortilla Soup (i.e. a Mexican chicken-tomato soup)

1 medium onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic
    (Phase 1, no oil, but you could saute those in 1 T. oil for phase 3)
    2 lbs. chicken breast
    28 oz. can diced tomatoes
    10 oz. can Rotel (choose the mild one if you don't like things very spicy)
    2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth
    20 oz. gluten-free, sugar free tomato soup
    2 cups water
    1 t. ground cumin
    1 t. chili powder
    2 t. Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 t. (or more to taste) Tabasco sauce

"Saute" onions with a little of the broth. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes to blend flavors. Remove chicken and shred with forks. Return to pot. Serve with additional chopped tomatoes, cilantro, or onions. (You could add avocado for Phase 3).
  • michellyn
    Options
    Lemon-Chicken-Rice Soup

1 1/2 quarts chicken broth
    2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
    1/2 c. uncooked brown rice
    1-3 large carrots, chopped
    3 T. lemon juice, squeezed from 2 fresh lemons
    1/2 bunch spinach, rinsed and chopped (if you buy it bagged, just add about 2 handfuls)

In a large pot over medium heat, combine chicken broth, cooked chicken, carrots, pepper, and rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender, about 30 minutes.

Add lemon juice and spinach and simmer for 5 more minutes. Tastes even better reheated the next day!
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Michellyn, thank you for all of those yummie phase specific recipes!!!!!!!!! I'll be trying them over the next 3 weeks!
  • michellyn
    Options
    Thanks--I'm so glad you started this group. I think it can be a really good support for us all.

This isn't exactly a recipe, but I really enjoyed it for lunch (I was anticipating not enjoying the tuna dry, since I really like it better with mayonnaise).

Make a bed of mixed organic greens. On top, put drained tuna and chopped grape tomatoes. Then, mix 2 T. balsamic vinegar with 1 package Truvia and drizzle it over the salad. It's nice paired with some brown rice crackers :) The balsamic vinegar mix really added a nice flavor to both the greens and the tuna (the tomatoes were yummy, too).
  • deedee0529
    Options
    Crockput Salsa chicken

boneless chicken breasts
    no added sugar salsa
    extra onion and pepper slices
    On high all day.
    Shred chicken and serve over lettuce or brown rice.
  • CallMeQT
    CallMeQT Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tons of stuff on Haylie's Pinterest page for Phase 1: http://pinterest.com/hayliepomroy/phase-1-fast-metabolism-diet-foods/
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I wanted to share this awesome website, she has great dairy free recipes and uses spelt flour in a lot of things. I have experimented with a LOT of her recipes and they always come out good. I found this one that adds Cauliflower to chocolate cake and if you omit the oil and flax it should be ok for phase one or I might try ground steel cut oats and keep the oil or maybe even add an egg for Phase 3. Anyway the blog is awesome and I think quite a few recipes can be adapted for FMD. If anyone tries anything please let me know, and when I do will share as well :)

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/06/18/cauliflower-chocolate-cake/
  • lindaw66
    Options
    Overnight Steel-Cut Oats
    Appropriate for Phase One and Phase Three
    Makes 4 to 8 servings
    1 cup steel cut oats
    4 cups water
    Combine the oats and water in a large saucepan. Boil 1 minute. turn off the heat, cover the pan and let it stand overnight at room temperature. In the morning, remove the lid and bring the oats to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until the oats are creamy yet still a little bit chewy, about 7 to 10 minutes. Cooked oats will keep in the fridge for a week. You can just spoon out a serving (1 cup for phase one or 1/2 cup for phase three) add a little water and reheat in the microwave for a minute or two. Or, you can make a huge batch and freeze single servings. Then, add your favorite mix-ins (per 1 cup of oatmeal):

Phase One
    Peach-Ginger Oatmeal
    Add 1/2 cup chopped peaches, 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.
    Phase Three add in - 1/4 cup chopped almonds in addition.

Phase One
    Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
    Stir in 1/4 cup pumpkin puree, 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and Stevia to taste.
    Phase Three
    Drizzle in 2 tablespoons of coconut milk, then sprinkle with 1/2 cup fresh blueberries and 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut.

Phase 3
    Raspberry-Hazelnut Oatmeal
    Add 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, then top with 1/2 cup raspberries.

Phase 3
    Cherry-Almond Butter Swirl Oatmeal
    Swirl in 2 tablespoons almond butter and top with 1/2 cup dark-red cherries (frozen is fine).
  • rbanks0702
    rbanks0702 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I finished the book this week and will be starting the program on Monday. I'm excited and a little nervous that I will eat the wrong thing. I'm still trying to figure out the portion upping based on the weight you need to lose. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
  • michellyn
    Options
    rbanks, If you're trying to lose more than 20 pounds, you'll want to make the portions 1 1/2. If you're trying to lose over 40 pounds, you may have 2 portions. However, many women feel over full on the two portions, so Haylie said that it's okay to do 1 1/2 portions is 2 is causing your problems (that's what I'm doing--1 1/2 is plenty for me).
  • rbanks0702
    rbanks0702 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you michellyn! I can't wait to start on Monday. I have my grocery list ready for Sunday and keep double checking it to make sure that I haven't forgotten anything.
  • Staci415
    Staci415 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I tried the pumpkin pie oatmeal....i wasnt really a fan, just something about it, i felt like i was forcing myself to eat it:(
  • lindaw66
    Options
    I normally do the oatmeal shakes for breaskfast during phase 1 and 3 but today I had cooked oatmeal, that I made last night. I added a lot of cinnamon and I defrosted frozen berries and peaches in a baggie and poured that all over the cereal this morning and that was yummy!
  • lorilewandowski
    Options
    On the facebook group I just saw that tomato sauce is not allowed on P1 so just use crused tomatoes and tomato paste.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Spelt Pretzels - makes about 6 pretzels - the recipie calls for sugar but you can eliminate it, i also used egg white instead of whole egg - I cant find spelt pretzels in the grocery store or anywhere else. I liked this as a snack so thought i would share.

Ingredients:
    •1 1/8 teaspoons yeast
    •3/4 cup warm water
    •1/2 teaspoon of salt
    •1/2 tablespoon of sugar
    •2 cups + 2 tablespoons of sprouted spelt flour (or regular)
    •1 egg, beaten
    •sea salt or kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350º.

Measure warm water into a large bowl. Sprinkle on yeast and stir until soft. Add salt, sugar, and flour. Mix and knead dough with hands. Roll and twist into any desired shapes. Place on greased cookie sheet. Brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle with salt. Bake 12-15 minutes.

Tricks and tips:
    •When you paint on the egg, be generous. Although these won’t get super-browned (the regular flour version didn’t either), the egg does help.
    •Also don’t be shy with the salt.
  • its3adi
    its3adi Posts: 5
    Options
    Ok why is there nothing in London? I can't find any sprout grain toast or spelt pasta or wild rice or any of the stuff this diet needs :/
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Kreepie1965
    Kreepie1965 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sorry, new here, what does "bump" mean?
  • wredpanther
    Options
    Hello,

I am just starting and I will have to do double portions. I wanted to know for how long will I do double portions or only until weight reaches around 40 lbs to go mark?

Also, Can I add my extra portions to my snack as well to create smoothies? Any ideas?

Thanks