Help! I have no idea what size dress to get

Options
Ok so I'm getting married December 28th of this year and I'm going dress shopping on May 4th. I WILL leave that store with a dress in hand but since I'm in the process of losing weight, I have no idea what size to get. My goal was to lose at least 50lbs before the wedding .. I have 37lbs to go which should be easy. So when I buy my dress should I buy a few sizes smaller or should I buy the size I'll fit in now? If I bought my size now, it could be altered right? I just really don't want to spend tons of money altering it .. I have no idea how much the prices runs. Help??

Replies

• kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Its easier to take a dress in that let it out, don't order it too small, maybe just one size smaller than you are now
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Ok that makes sense. I'm almost scared to even order a size smaller .. There is always that "what if i don't lose enough weight before then" thought in my head. Plus I have no idea how big of a difference there is between one size and the next size up. & Like I said, I don't want to spend a bunch of $$$ on alterations. When we started planning, we made a decision that we didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount on the wedding b/c we're about to be given a house that we want to remodel. & I'm not really picky, high maintainence, and/or bridezilla-ish when it comes to wedding dresses. Honestly if Walmart sold wedding dresses, I'd probably buy it from there. Lmfao ... that's how much I don't care. So long story short I'm only spending about $500 max on my dress and don't want to put more into alterations then what the actual dress costs. Ughhhh ... I'm probably WAY overthinking this.
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I will tell you my experience. I was losing weight really quickly and then when I ordered my dress, I ordering one that zipped but was too tight. This was only 4 months before the wedding and ended up being a huge stress for me when I didn't need it. I didn't lose the weight and gained a few pounds, because I was training for a half marathon and a wedding at the same time, over the holiday season. I ran the half the weekend before my wedding. I don't lose when I'm training because I have a tough time balancing my diet. Not that I'm a serious athlete or anything. My dress didn't come in until 3 weeks before the wedding, and luckily they just had to take it out the tiniest of bits.

I think that it was worth it because I don't know if a bigger size would have been better, but hinde sight tells me to order a dress that fits now is the best way to go because you never know and you don't need the stress and pressure to lose weight when you're busy already.
  • letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options
    My advice is buy what fits you now....it is much easier to take a dress in than let it out. I bought my dress this past weekend...not a fun experience when you don't feel comfortable in your own skin....but it had to be done. End result, my dress looks incredible on.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'm just going to buy whatever size i'm in now. It makes sense that it'd be easier to bring it in then take it out plus its probably cheaper that way too. I've noticed even the biggest people seem to look much smaller in wedding dresses anyway.
  • mummybear89
    Options
    I had my dress fitting in Feb as I'm getting married in November and they told me they would need to order by end of March, not a problem got measured and was fine. Son started nursery so exercise increased and I decided to get healthy. 48lb loss since dress fitting and the boutique have called me back in for Saturday as they are concerned that with all alterations it will still be too big. So need to be remeasured and they wil have to notify the designer of new measurements as if I keep loosing weight and inches the way I have I'll be in trouble lol