Shotest Long Run befoer a Marathon?

Options
samkelly89
samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
before *

Let me explain; What is the shortest distance that is acceptable for the longest long run of your training before tapering to the marathon? For example, 20? 18? Could you get away with running 16?

I ask because I have a marathon coming up, may 19th, and it is my first. I did the 16 mile long run comfortably, failed at my 18 mile long run because it was on a new trail that I didn't realize was FULL of HILLS! and then I had my 20 mile run last week. But I feel like I can't count the 20 mile run because I ended up walking quite a bit of it :(

I'm nervous for the marathon. Running 16 miles comfortably and then depending on a whole lot of addrenaline seems sketchy... grrr

Also, I am a pretty slow runner if that matters. I finished my 16 mile run in about 3 hrs and my 20 mile run in just over 4.

Replies

• marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I finished my first marathon with a 19-mile long run that took 3:50 (went back to the logbook to check).
    Don't write off your 20-mile long run. Walk breaks are not necessarily a bad thing. A walk stretches out the muscles and lowers the heart rate. I incorporate scheduled walk breaks in all my long runs. I can and have done 20-milers without walking, but even with scheduled walk breaks I finish in roughly the same time and I finish stronger.
    I take short scheduled walk breaks every 2 to 4 miles (to coincide with water points and route profile dependent). For me the trick is to walk before I get tired. I just last longer that way.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hmm I can see your worries but I think its too late for you to get another 'long run' in now.

I think it depends what you want from your marathon? A friend of mine only went up to 14 miles in training and finished in just over 6 hours.

I'd say you've covered enough distance, you don't want to do too much.

I did a 15, 17, 18 and 2 20 milers which left me injured and running the majority of my marathon in pain!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The shortest long run should be around 2.5 hours. The distance covered will be different depending on running speed.

Actually, there is a strong argument that you really don't need to do any long run longer than 2 to 2.5 hours as long as weekly mileage is high and you do those long runs often.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goal is. If you want to go out there and "run:" 26.2 miles then I would say no, you aren't ready. If you want to complete the marathon regardless of your time then you will probably be fine. I suggest you find the pacer for the slowest group and make friends. Start off slow and walk for all of your water breaks, even early on.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The long run isn't the end all, be all for marathon training, it's merely one component. If it were, we would only do one long run. Marathon preparedness comes from the cumulative effects of mileage over time. So, you can certainly be prepared if you do your long runs on the shorter end but have substantial mileage during the week. The inverse would be true as well.

With that being said, you are going to want to take it very slow and probably plan to incorporate some walk breaks. Don't get caught up in the hype at the start and go too fast. You'll blow up later in the race and end up doing the death march for the last 10 miles.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Whilst there is a lot of evidence to sugget that you don't need to complete a long "long run" the thing to consider for first timers is the psychological aspect of running / completing a marathon. That's where the real benefit of the 20 milers come in, knowing you only have a 10k run to go!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first marathon on 5/19 too, except my 20 mile run is this weekend, after which my taper begins.

Unless you're up for a longer run this weekend, I'd say you should just follow your original tapering plan. So you may have to walk here or there during the marathon - honestly I don't see that as a problem at all! Many strong distance runners regularly incorporate walking into their distance runs; a lot of trainers swear by the practice.

Hope all goes well and that you're able to enjoy the race!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic for your situation but pertinent to a marathon. MFP encourages folks to drink, drink, drink and it's clear that there is limited value to consuming a lot of water while dieting (it doesn't actually help you lose weight but it does help loosen your bowels and the bloating helps cut back on the amount of food people eat).

When it comes to running, though, drink, drink, drink can kill people. And it sounds like you are in the cohort where most of the problems occur.

The issue is hyponatremia and the "typical" victim is a someone who runs a marathon slowly or does a run & walk marathon and makes sure to "stay hydrated" by drinking a lot or even carrying a water bottle with them. In that the runner is not perspiring heavily yet they are consuming lots of water, what they are unknowingly doing is diluting the electrolytes in their blood. As they drink more, the heart beat becomes irregular and, if things get diluted enough, over they go.

The situation is worsened by EMT's who may not be trained to recognize hyponatremia and, instead, they see a heat injury - shallow breathing, low pulse, etc. Standard response is an IV and with that, things go from bad to worse.

For the background on this, check out:

http://www.outsideonline.com/blog/outdoor-adventure/tim-noakes-on-the-serious-problem-of-overhydration-in-endurance-sports.html

Dr. Noakes is a legend in the running world (he invented the energy gel and is also the author of "The Lore of Running") and has been instrumental in getting sporting bodies to change their recommendation from recommending "pre-drinking" and "forced hydration" to their current position of "drink to thirst".

<another_PSA_from_the_MFP_water_curmudgeon> :-)
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I have never done more than 20 miles in prep for a marathon. There is a school of belief that you don't need more than 16. I would not worry about walking part of that 20 miles. the 20 miles is as much about "leg time" as anything. Generally speaking these is not a lot of mitochondria in you legs (carries oxygen for you). the purpose of the long runs is to make your body create more mitochondria so your legs get more oxygen. SO as long as most of it was running and you got your leg time it I think you are golden.

Have a great marathon!
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice and encouragement! I feel a lot better and my goal for the marathon is only to finish. (there is a time limit of 6 hours so I guess that would be my goal time) I will try not to beat myself up about walking part of it. But my goal is to jog, even if it's a slow jog, the entire time. I'll post after the marathon to let everyone know how it went! I'm almost at my goal weight and next time I train for a marathon, I am excited to only worry about training correctly instead of also trying to focus on weightloss. That has been a big hang up for me. And the more I read about drinking too much water, It is making a lot of sense and I can see how that has affected my running too.

Thanks again everyone!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am old school, so I remember the old times. Back in the day, I think you never went up to or past the "wall" in training, meaning you never went further than 18 miles on a training run. We did fine and were able to finish.
    I am not sure what the thinking was. i do not know why you never went past the wall when training. I guess maybe it was just this mystical, awesome, awful thing that was reserved for the race.
  • kenleyj
    kenleyj Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are tapering. relax, and go into the race knowing that you did your best during training. That 20 miler is still a 20 miler, and you did awesome regardless. There are more components, but think simple. During the taper, there isn't much you can do to increase your performance, so even thinking about doing another long run is out, BUT there is a lot you can do to screw it up. just relax. Get to the starting line injury free and well rested. You will do fine. Trust your training.
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are tapering. relax, and go into the race knowing that you did your best during training. That 20 miler is still a 20 miler, and you did awesome regardless. There are more components, but think simple. During the taper, there isn't much you can do to increase your performance, so even thinking about doing another long run is out, BUT there is a lot you can do to screw it up. just relax. Get to the starting line injury free and well rested. You will do fine. Trust your training.

Well said. This is your first marathon it is natural to be nervous. Enjoy every minute of this race you earned it!
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    im training for my first marathon in october but for my 1/2s i still take the occassional walk break(finished my last in 2:25, which i don't think is half bad for walk breaks) My goal for the marathon is around 5 hours and i will still be taking my walk breaks. If your plan is to finish i see know problems.
  • geerunz
    geerunz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing wrong with walking! It is so hard for us runners to wrap our heads around this. I used to just run, run, run until I got injured. Had a very extended recovery period, when I started back up I used the Galloway run/walk method. At first I kept telling myself this is only for a short period until I'm fully recovered but after awhile I realized that I don't have to run all of the run to still be a runner. I've done all of my training runs, about 12 half marathons and two fulls since and just started training for three more fulls. I've stayed injury free and my recovery time on long runs is reduced by using the run/walk method.