So hard to keep up with the cal goal in the first weeks

Options
Wetikaba
Wetikaba Posts: 66 Member
Hey Guys!
I just find it very challenging to keep up with the cal goal. I WILL do it, eventually, but just wanted to put it out there. This is darn challenging. It changes my focus at work, makes me hungry, and I just feel that my whole body is morphing. In a good way, no doubt about it, but right now adjusting is tough and I get too hungry in the evening. What do you think guys?

Replies

• petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    It's a change for sure. I'm at a desk all day. I got used to it by constantly writing down my meals and snacks.
    I think about food a lot because I like it. Planning out my meals and snacks ahead of time is helpful and gives me something to look forward to!

Also keeping track of all the food has helped me learn what keeps me fuller longer and what makes me more hungry or tired or energized etc.

I have my largest meal at night usually 400 cals plus while all my other meals and snacks are usually under 300.

My diary is open if you're into checking out what other people eat ;)
  • broncosbabe
    broncosbabe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Since starting to exercise properly again after an injury, I'm STARVING all the bloody time! Granted I ate dessert twice yesterday (was a crappy day overall and dessert really did help (so did boxing)). I was on 1200 net but recently upped it to 1400 net because of how hungry I'm getting! I've been struggling with this for a while. I've always had a fairly large appetite, so trying to limit food (especially the not so healthy food like chips and lots of starchy carbs) is proving to be very difficult.

I'm away from home at the moment and eating in a shared dining facility, so I don't have 100% control over what's on offer for meals (just got to make the right choices from what is on offer) nor do I have unlimited access to a variety of snacks. Can't wait until I'm home and able to do my own grocery shopping and cooking!

My main snacks I've enjoyed are hard boiled eggs, beef jerkey, bananas and the occasional muesli bar. Any other pointers?
  • Wetikaba
    Options
    Hi! Thanks so much for your answer. I like food too :) and think about it a lot too :) I will definitely check out your diary. It's good to know you adjusted to a lower cal intake. I'm sure I'll get there. Thank you for sharing your tips!
  • Wetikaba
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience! It's nice to see Im not alone :) I have started to implement more strengh training in my routine and it must have raved up my metabolism just like it did for you. Today I tried eating a bigger meal for lunch and I will train in the evening just to avoid getting as famished as yesterday.

It works pretty well so far...

I'll go check your diary now for inspiration. Thanks again!
  • wafflemeister14
    wafflemeister14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it is the same for me, but I find that if i eat in big chunks regularily instead of spreading it out with snacks I have more of an appetite
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Try to spread out the meal. Instead of eating 3 times a day, try 5 or 6. This will allow you to eat (a little) in the late evening without going over your daily limit.
  • Green_eyed_beauty
    Green_eyed_beauty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Also up your protein and make sure your carbs are complex... oatmeal, sweet potatoes, brown rice! This will keep you feeling full longer. as well as what Hexahedra said... 5-6 smaller meals a day.
    Get flavored rice cakes if you need something with a crunch or fresh veggies and fruits. I do much better when I plan and pre-log all of my food for the day so I can see what I have left or what i have extra.
    Hope this helps and you find success in your weeks to come... be patient... change is hard!
  • miss_muse
    miss_muse Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Green_eyed_be is right! Protein and complex carbs are the key to keeping hunger at bay.

I would also add that FIBER is super helpful. For example, instead of having rice cakes, why not a nice gala apple? Much more fiber.

If you're in need of good snack suggestions I HIGHLY recommend Questbars. They save me when I'm at work.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I had to make changes to when I ate certain foods to satisfy the cravings. For example, I started noticing that around 4pm is when I craved sweets and if I ate something else, I would still feel hungry, because it wasn't satisfying me... so I switched my snacks around and waited to have my fruit at that time. (And my protein bar in the morning instead.) Just have to find what works for you! It takes time. Good luck!