What is a good Road Tire / Tire Size for a Heavier Person

Options
So I have only ridden my tire about 500 miles and it is showing significant signs of wear (rear tire only) I keep them about 115 psi (max is 120). I started to read and found that basically the heavier you are the faster the tire will wear out. I am thinking that I need a 700x25c instead of the 23c currently on the bike because it will give me a slightly larger contact area reducing the amount a weight per square cm on the tire. Hopefully allowing the tire to make it a little longer (until I am 200 lbs would be nice).

Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Absolutely run the 25c tire. Many cyclists are moving away from the 23s because of better wear, reduced chance of pinch flats, better grip and more comfortable ride. Some schools of thought are that they can actually be faster for the average rider because of less deflection and tire flexing. Don't know how heavy you are, but you could even consider a 28c for many of the reasons mentioned above.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I run Gatorskins on my training wheels
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with running 25s, though could your 23s just be crappy tires?
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It is more to do with the quality or nature of the tyre than the size IMO. As above said Gatorskin, or 4000 are good tough tyres - doesn't really matter if it's 23c or 25c - whichever size you feel better on.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest (just short of 400lb :embarassed: ) I ran a 25c on the front and a 28c on the rear - not because of any "performance" benefits of the narrower front - purely because there wasn't clearance for a 28c on that bike!. As the weight came down, I went over to 25c's front and rear - then over this winter a pair of Vittoria Open Pave Evo CG's went on (they're a "tall 24c").

I'm now down to a slightly more reasonable 233lb and my new bike has 23c's front and rear - frankly more because I had a pair of Conti GP4000's that had been sitting neglected for a while, and I just wanted to get the bike on the road.

One thing that DOES make tyres wear faster when you're heavier is if you don't inflate them properly - I pretty much HAD to run the tyres at their maximum rated Psi when I was heavier otherwise the slightest suggestion of a pothole would result in a snakebite puncture. However, I was still getting around 2000-2500 miles from a rear tyre (conti gatorskins 28c, conti GP4000's 25c) and probably another 1000 extra over on front tyres.
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with running 25s, though could your 23s just be crappy tires?

Count me in on this theory. I've ridden as high as 275, and never had tire issues, other than the occasional flat.
    (that's 275 LB, not PSI :)
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'd run the fattest tire your bike will fit! Not because of your weight, but because it'll be more comfortable! I'd go 28s at a minimum. Something like Clement Strada LLG's or Gatorskins.
  • d2bodily
    d2bodily Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. I was in the bike shop today to get new tires and they were out of the 25c. My tires can not wait 2 days so I stuck with the 23c. Went with a single tire for now while I look into the options around some of the tires that were recommend here. I will most likely replace the set (I have to match), with a set of 25c in the upcoming weeks saving the new tire for next winter and the miserable trainer sessions.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I run 23's on my 'Summer' roadie (and have done ever since I started riding at 20 stones (127Kg)). I run 25's on my 'Winter' CX'er (which I use for commuting, so I have Schwalbe Durano road tyres fitted).

I prefer 23's because they have considerable less rolling resistance (IMHO) than the 25's.

As an idea, you can always swap the front and rear tyres around so you get a more even wear?

I current have Mavic's own 'YKS' tyres on my roadie (because they came with my new wheels), but I really like Schwalbe ZX's!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    I would question the "I have to have a matched pair" - if it's just for the asthetics, for example its almost impossible to notice the difference without going looking for it between a 23c Continental 4000c or a 25c of the same type - but that extra bit of cusioning can definitely help with the comfort for heavier riders. I'm probably as big a "bike tart" as you'll find - even starting a Bike OCD thread about my obsessive detailing on my new bike, and i'd never ride with mismatched makes of tyre, or even mis-matched models, but if it's the same model, same compound, but just 2mm wider section, then even I'm cool with that.