Calluses from Oly Lifting

Options
Any tips on how to prevent calluses or them from getting worse on my hands? They are the worst on both hands just below the ring finger. Gloves, tape? Or do those just get in the way? I'm already taping my thumbs because hook gripping ripped the skin off of them, and that doesn't seem to be getting in the way thus far.

Replies

• sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'd say embrace them lol. Sure your hands aren't going to be smooth and "girly" anymore but I've learned to love mine. Plus the thicker they get the less my skin tears when lifting and doing pullups.
  • quirkyone1
    Options
    Take care of them! You can avoid rips (somewhat) if you maintain them well.

http://www.fitbomb.com/2011/09/crossfit-hand-care.html
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You will build up manageable calluses over time, but the initial blister/bubble types can cause some major issues. When they get to big or extend to far away from the hand they will tend rip under heavy bar loads. I like to soften mine with shea butter and will shave them down after a hot shower. If you try to shave them down you have to go very slow, to avoid going deeper than the surrounding skin. I use a shaving razor that has a single blade made for cleaning around the nose and tight spots. I take my time and shave off a little after each shower when my calluses start builing up to high.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    use chalk, but not too much cause too much is as bad as none. make sure you keep your calluses maintained (keep them flat) and soft. nothing tears up my hands as much as pullups though... i hate gloves, they make my grip a lot weaker.
  • TXBecki
    TXBecki Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all!!!
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    Yep, Crossfit is definitely the sport of ugly hands. I use a pumice stone on my calluses a couple times a week to keep them flatter (so they won't rip). I also lotion up my hands a lot during the day to keep them as moisturized as possible. There is a girl at our box who uses these things called Versa Grips. I like the concept of those much more than gloves.

but me, I embrace my ugly calluses. They are like little badges of honor! : )
  • MelJolly
    MelJolly Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm working to find the right gloves for me. In addition I use The Healer (Perfectly Posh) on my blisters/callouses.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    Options
    When I was new to CF someone showed me this video about hand care. If you can get past Donny Shankle's voice, his tips are right on the money. The taping technique he shows works very well and only takes a minute or two once you have done it a bunch of times. My wife and I now keep a callous remover in our shower and bath tub and hit the hands everyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otorSGl3sG0
  • tan1972
    tan1972 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use these to help with my hands and find them really good.

http://store.justanotherwod.com/jaw-pullup-grips/