Question for the mamas - water breaking at night

Options
RBXChas
RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
Hey all,

I thought I'd post this here since you have all done this fairly recently. I would post it on the pregnancy board (and I might still), but I figured since you've all been there recently, you could answer me better.

I am 36w3d with baby #2. My son is 2, but I can't remember when I did this last time...

If you took any precautions against messing up your bedding in case your water broke in the middle of the night, when did you do it, and what did you do?

We have a mattress protector, but rather than leaving my husband to try to deal with messed up sheets and whatnot, last time I remember sleeping on old towels as a precaution. My water didn't break on its own, so it ended up being pointless, but I want to say I started it at 36 weeks.

However, I get hot at night (it's practically summer here in SC, plus our bedroom is over the garage --> always warmer/colder there than anywhere else in the house), and my son was born in the wintertime, so sleeping on old towels didn't cause any temperature issues the first time around.

Just looking for additional ideas :flowerforyou:

Thanks, ladies!!!

Replies

• Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My water didn't break in bed, but I also took precautions.

As you mentioned, I used towels. If you don't want to get too hot, put the towels UNDER your sheets. That way you're still protected while stayin' cool. I had a baby in July, so I know how it is to be hot at night:( Good luck, and interested to see other's ideas as well!
  • 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I put a waterproof crib mattress pad that I got at Babies R Us under sheet on my side of bed just in case and kept a towel next to the bed LOL. Luckily my water never broke at home though but it's good to be prepared. Good luck!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Those are great ideas - thanks! I never thought to put anything under the sheets, but that makes so much sense. Maybe I'll combine the two and do a plastic sheet (just to be extra safe) plus the towels under the fitted sheet.

Chances are my water won't break on its own this time, either, but you never know!
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I tried putting one of those big pads - like they use at the hospital when you have a baby- under the sheet (I kept a stock of them due to my insanely heavy cycles sometimes) but that lasted for all of one night, lol it was just too noisy so I don't recommend buying those! I also slept on a towel a couple nights but that didn't last long either. I didn't think to put it under the sheet.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    We have a waterproof mattress cover so I took a chance with just that. I figured if my water broke that we could just rip off the sheets, throw them in the wash, and be on our way.

I ended up being induced and having my water broken in the hospital. Holy floodgates, Batman!

I like the crib mattress protector idea. I've also heard that puppy training pads under the sheet work, or a garbage bag under the sheet.
  • MrsCarter00
    Options

I ended up being induced and having my water broken in the hospital. Holy floodgates, Batman!

THIS^^ I wasn't induced but I did have my water broke to move things along. Weirdest.feeling.ever.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My water didn't break until I was pushing! Very weird feeling.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    This last time around my water never broke until I got to the hospital just had contractions and the bloody show, but nine years ago with my son my water did break at 1230am while I was in bed. I always have a mattress cover on my bed so when it broke it really went everywhere. The mattress cover protected the mattress really well. I didn't start having contractions right away so I jumped up and stripped the bed. My parents were staying with us so my mom was nice enough to do a load of laundry while we went to the hospital. I also had my son in SC in October which is a strange time weather wise it was 74deg when I went to the hospital with him. Just so you know the sheets weren't stained and I was still able to use them after a really good washing, but my water was clear also. Hubby was really nice to and didn't complain because I know the water hit him when it broke it covered most of the bed.
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We had the waterproof mattress cover since we have a tempurpedic bed, which we didn't want to ruin. I also slept with a towel underneath me towards the end.

I was also wearing pads every day just in case. My water did not "break" - more of a slow leak. Took me a while to figure it out because the pad was catching everything and my contractions weren't regular. I got clued in after I took a shower, was dried off, but still had "water" running down my leg!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    We had the waterproof mattress cover since we have a tempurpedic bed, which we didn't want to ruin. I also slept with a towel underneath me towards the end.

I was also wearing pads every day just in case. My water did not "break" - more of a slow leak. Took me a while to figure it out because the pad was catching everything and my contractions weren't regular. I got clued in after I took a shower, was dried off, but still had "water" running down my leg!

Good point! I do sleep with a pantiliner on (I've been using them for most of the duration of pregnancy for all of the fun discharge that we get), so I might switch to a real pad instead, at least for overnight use, especially since most women whose water breaks spontaneously have a slow leak rather than a gush of fluid!

My only thing is that I'd prefer to save my husband from having to change the sheets at all. It's not that he can't handle it, but I handle washing our sheets and can attest to the fact that it's a major PITA!!! Given that I have to be in the hospital for two nights, he still has to go to the office (we're self-employed), and he has to take care of our son and four dogs all on his own, I'd like to make things as simple as possible for him. So I think I am going to start sleeping on towels, and if I get hot, then so be it.

Since I'm closer to 37 weeks (full term) than 36 weeks, I'll probably break out the towels tonight.

I appreciate everyone's input!

And yes, I hear the water breaking feeling is weird! I had an epidural, so I didn't feel it, but I can imagine that it's a bit of a funky feeling :wink:
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I also had my son in SC in October which is a strange time weather wise it was 74deg when I went to the hospital with him.

Yup, that's pretty standard for SC in October (depending on what part of the state you're in). I'm in Charleston, so we're on the warm side of things... My son was born in late January, and it was quite nice out. I remember when he was a week or so old (so early February), I could take walks with him and come home a little sweaty if I went in late morning/early afternoon!
  • blink1021
    Options
    I also had my son in SC in October which is a strange time weather wise it was 74deg when I went to the hospital with him.

Yup, that's pretty standard for SC in October (depending on what part of the state you're in). I'm in Charleston, so we're on the warm side of things... My son was born in late January, and it was quite nice out. I remember when he was a week or so old (so early February), I could take walks with him and come home a little sweaty if I went in late morning/early afternoon!

We were in Murrells Inlet so not too far away 3 weeks before I delivered hubby would take me to Charleston to walk around the battery to try to get labor moving.
  • blink1021
    Options

And yes, I hear the water breaking feeling is weird! I had an epidural, so I didn't feel it, but I can imagine that it's a bit of a funky feeling :wink:

I was one of the freaky ones with my first kid my water broke spontaneously and was a gush of liquid. I was laying in bed and woke up because I felt off. All of a sudden I felt a pop (it didn't hurt) in my lower abdomen and after that all the fluid it felt like I had peed myself all at one time. The same when I went in for my second my contractions were 30sec apart and I was 8cm dilated when I arrived and the doctor couldn't believe my water hadn't broken so he did it for me and it was the same feeling without the pop.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options

THIS^^ I wasn't induced but I did have my water broke to move things along. Weirdest.feeling.ever.

Same here. It felt so gross! And when my water was broken my contractions went from a 3-4 to a 10 pretty quickly in terms of pain, and they were back to back with little or no break in between. (We only went to the hospital because my contractions had been less than 5 mins apart for about 2 hours, not because I was in pain yet and needed drugs. Given my mom's history of relatively short labours, I was worried about progressing quickly and having the baby at home!)

We have a waterproof matress protector that is on our bed all the time, so I wasn't worried about the bed. I did however worry about my water breaking while driving, but I never did do anything to protect my car seats! :laugh:
  • MrsCarter00
    Options

Same here. It felt so gross! And when my water was broken my contractions went from a 3-4 to a 10 pretty quickly in terms of pain, and they were back to back with little or no break in between. (We only went to the hospital because my contractions had been less than 5 mins apart for about 2 hours, not because I was in pain yet and needed drugs. Given my mom's history of relatively short labours, I was worried about progressing quickly and having the baby at home!)

We have a waterproof matress protector that is on our bed all the time, so I wasn't worried about the bed. I did however worry about my water breaking while driving, but I never did do anything to protect my car seats! :laugh:

Oh girl mine too!! I'd also been in labor for a few hours before going to the hospital. I timed them and they were only a few minutes apart before I went in. The contractions were fine until they broke my water after that I felt like I couldn't get a break between them and about an hour later I caved and got the epidural. My doctor said your water acts as a barrier when you're having contractions..that would make sense.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    With baby #1 I didn't use any precaution and my water broke at night in bed. It was not a big deal, the pj needed to be washed and there was maybe a tiny spot on the sheet , but it was not that much water come out at once. When I was heading to the hospital my water kept dripping all the way and I just put a folded big towel on the car seat before I sat on it.
    My dr said when the water brooks on its own usually the baby head seals it on and off and that is why not coming out all at once
    With baby # 2 I was induced and the Dr broke my water in the hospital and it was a huge splash felt like a gallon water poured out.
    It was a huge contrast bettwen the 2 experience.