How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I already plan on weighing myself at the same time first thing in the morning, but I'm curious as to how often people weigh themselves. People can fluxuate up to 5lbs in a single day, so I want to make sure I'm getting an accurate average and not setting myself up for disappointment.

Replies

• Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I already plan on weighing myself at the same time first thing in the morning, but I'm curious as to how often people weigh themselves. People can fluxuate up to 5lbs in a single day, so I want to make sure I'm getting an accurate average and not setting myself up for disappointment.

It's kind of a personal preference... A lot of people recommend weighing no more than once a week, or two weeks or even month. If you can't handle seeing daily fluctuations, then that would be the way to go. I like to weigh every day (keeping in mind some days will be "up" due to those fluctuations), although I don't record it every day.

Remember, weight is not the end-all, be-all of indicator concerning your health, it is, in fact, one of the least important factors. Other things to concentrate on include measurements and body fat %.
  • imadefour
    Options
    My main measure will be the mirror, of course, but it's nice to have something a little more tangible to look at. I think I will go with once a week and try to keep it informal.
  • sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When I moved to Indy, I didn't take the scale with me. So I only weigh myself when I just so happen to be around a scale. I didn't want the scale defining my loss (and discouraging me). I mostly take pics to monitor my loss. Whenever I am feeling like I am not making progress, I look to my pics to show me that I have.
  • andrbeck
    andrbeck Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. BUT I only use the weight I have on Thursday mornings as my "weigh in"
  • booksey
    booksey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Daily, but I'm a number junkie :)
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I weight daily, but only log if i have a set number for 3 days (ie if i'm 210.3, 210.7, 210.5 i'll log 210 or 211 as my weight). But i like weighing daily as it's just part of the routine.
  • Ebcanada
    Ebcanada Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself pretty much daily, but only for accountability. When I was heavy I would stay away from the scale as not knowing some how made it ok to eat bad...so I do it as a reminder. I measure my success in the mirror, by how far or fast I can run, by how much I can lift, and how I feel.
  • npeery
    npeery Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My weigh day is Sunday
  • peggymoney
    peggymoney Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Right now every other week on Monday morning till I start seeing results. If I did more than that I'd get discouraged.
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    When I was losing weight, I weighed once a week at the same time and day. Now that I'm maintaining, I only weigh every 3 months or so. I'm slowly wrapping my head around the fact that my fitness level and health is NOT determined by a number!!

Angie
  • calliou
    calliou Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day to keep myself accountable.
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Whenever my clothes feel like they are fitting differently.
  • SavBrookeS
    SavBrookeS Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I usually only weigh myself the morning after an above and beyond workout. I get waaaay too nitpicky if I weigh every morning, or base my day around that morning's weight.
  • Walkbyfaith1971
    Walkbyfaith1971 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I usually go for once a week, same day, same time. But, as already mentioned, it's not just the number on the scale that's important. You can use other measurements (arms, thighs, hips, etc) or use pictures to help establish your journey. Those can be a great encouragement and motivation when the scale doesn't want to budge ...
  • coopscoopc
    coopscoopc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have several challenges I am a part of so I have 3 "weigh in" days. My official weigh in day is Tuesday. This is the number I use for my personal goal to lose 55 pounds. For challenges I weigh in Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Sometimes I like to weigh in Saturday to see the damage I have caused on Friday nights. Keeps me in check :-)
  • rmitscher
    rmitscher Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a month, at best. The number on the scale does not interest me. I did happen to weigh myself @ the gym today. I weigh the same I did when I weighed myself at least 6 weeks ago. But I am getting a lot out of my workouts & my clothes are fitting much better so what good does the number do?
  • snowyd20
    snowyd20 Posts: 176
    Options
    about once a week, too much can drive you crazy.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily when I have had a horrible food day to make sure that I am going back down. But I try really hard to weigh myself on fridays, this is the day that I log my weight loss even if I have seen a loss through the week.
  • CaroleLynn65
    Options
    I weigh daily for "body" tracking....to see how my body responds to different combos of food & activity & monthly cycles. BUT, I only count Monday morning weight as my fitness trackers.
  • snowyd20
    snowyd20 Posts: 176
    Options
    1 x per week!