foods americans mention a lot can we get them here too?

Options

Replies

• beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Shirataki (?) noodles can be bought online from low carb supermarket or else any large asian food wholesaler like Wing Yip if you have one near you. Tehy are realyl good for bulking out stirfries or soups. Alot of people complain about the fishy smell but I dont' mind it, just rinse them out in cold water first before adding to the cooking. A 4 cals & virtually no carbs per 50g they are brilliant.

2 chicks liquid eqq whites are great for giving a protien boost to an omlette or scrambled eggs, sold at waitrose or sainsburies but not all branches stock it.

Nut butters, as mentioned, meridian brand sell them.
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    www.myprotein.co.uk does liquid egg whites too.

Natural nut butters you can actually get at any supermarket - though most mainstream ones will only sell peanut. Look for 'Whole Earth' brand - no added sugar or salt.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    www.myprotein.co.uk does liquid egg whites too.

Natural nut butters you can actually get at any supermarket - though most mainstream ones will only sell peanut. Look for 'Whole Earth' brand - no added sugar or salt.

myprotein also do kilogram tubs of totally natural peanut butter (smooth/crunchy) and almond. They are both excellent value and and have no salt or sugar added, just nuts roasted in their skins and blended. Just don't order a tub with a 5kilo bag of protein powder - when I did it split the tub of peanut butter and leaked all over the box!

It sounds like a lot of what you are after are processed products to short cut your way to a lower calorie diet. Instead of having loads of bland processed low cal dairy, just have a smaller serving of stronger flavoured, higher cal but les processed version. And for desserts, try freezing a banana or blending frozen berries with plain yoghurt and honey? Instead of low cal noodles add an extra handful of shredded veggies.

I would love it if there was sugar-free almond milk more readily and cheaply available over here though! Oh, and spaghetti squash too.
  • xxangelaxx
    xxangelaxx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would love it if there was sugar-free almond milk more readily and cheaply available over here though! Oh, and spaghetti squash too.

Waitrose do spaghetti squash. I got some last year.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Having shopped in US supermarkets, I don't think we're missing out on much.

I am a transplanted Brit, and have to agree. I miss the variety of foods in British stores. Publix has some variety of produce, but nothing like you will see in a British store.
  • cleorh
    cleorh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have just got some noddles from Holland and Barret which are 10 cals for the packet, I am under the impression they are bland and to go in soup or something else. I have not tried them tho !!!!
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Lidl and the Co-op do a low fat mozarella. I use it and it's fine. You could try a Chinese supermarket for noodles they have an amazing variety. We got some very fine vermicelli ones that were very low in calories.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the nut butter thing!

Meridian is a brand that is very natural, you can get peanut/ cashew/ almond and sunflower

You can buy them from Holland & Barrett, Tesco and no doubt other places too

bump must remember this !
  • pepper01245
    pepper01245 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/syrups/walden-farms-syrup-caramel

a lot of the stuff on this site is imported, and most of the waldens farm stuff is calorie free, it will probably end up proven to be crazy bad for you but till then if it helps it helps.
  • Amazonstolemyname
    Amazonstolemyname Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My local Tesco has three brands of Almond milk for £1-£2.00 and it keeps forages.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I genuinely do not mean to start a Transatlantic war but when I read the American posted recopies, 'I think goddam does everything they buy come out of a packet or jar?'

I raise an eyebrow and think, '...no wonder...'

It shocks me how many American's resort to boxes of cake mix. I've always baked them from scratch and what makes them healthier than normal cake? Do they not have sugar or fat in them?
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Iv used picked up some 0 calorie noodles in a supermarket in China town - £1.30 I think.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Also I ordered 6 jars of Meridian Almond Butter from Amazon as I can't eat peanuts (yummy)
  • UpandRunning2013
    UpandRunning2013 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I genuinely do not mean to start a Transatlantic war but when I read the American posted recopies, 'I think goddam does everything they buy come out of a packet or jar?'

I raise an eyebrow and think, '...no wonder...'

My thoughts exactly!!!!
  • kacorlis
    kacorlis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can buy Torani syrups online. However, I live in the US but travel to UK every year, and often you can buy the sugar free vanilla and other flavored syrups from a Starbuck's or other coffee shop like Cafe' Nero or Costa.

Believe it or not, you can make your own sugar free maple/or pancake syrup by making "simple syrup" from Splenda. I was surprised it makes a good syrup just like real sugar, then just flavor it with maple or any favorite flavoring found in the baking section of supermarket.

Hope this is helpful! If it makes you feel any better, I have to wait a whole year to eat my favorite Rhubarb flavored yogurt because they don't sell THAT flavor here in the US. So I eat as much as possible when I am over there.
  • kacorlis
    kacorlis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am American, but an Anglophile who travels to the UK every year. And to answer your question.....unfortunately, yes, everything seems to come from a packet or jar here....haha. It wasn't that way when I was growing up, but sure seems to be now.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have the slim pasta/ zero noodles from holland and Barrett. you need a good tasty sauce with them. But they do bulk out a meal nicely for minimal calories
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I want to find spaghetti squash but have never seen it here.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    The Chobani yoghurts that sem to get mentioned a lot are available here now in larger Tescos - I imagine elsewhere also, but that's where I saw them.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I want to find spaghetti squash but have never seen it here.

They are easy to grow, if you can grow marrow you can grow these. I used to years ago

But TBH they are about as tasty as marrows [same family] and are PIA to prepare and end result is absolutely nothing like spaghetti except in looks, nil taste, needs loads of sauce.

You are missing nothing at all