#23: Oven "Fried" Pickles

Options
J3nnyV
J3nnyV Posts: 114 Member
So I admit that I'm already feeling defeated about this recipe. I kid you not, I've been staring at it in my recipe stand for over a week trying to decide what to do about it. I like pickles, but no one else in my house likes them. I certainly couldn't eat two jars of them (that's what this recipe calls for). We don't have any family gatherings planned this week, so it's not like I could even make them for an event. But, the recipe made the Top 25 for a reason, and the completionist in me wants to say I made all 25.

So, I'm throwing it up here....a bit of a Hail Mary pass...who is going to catch it?

The recipe can be found here: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/05/oven-fried-pickles-with-skinny-herb.html

Oven "Fried" Pickles with Skinny Herb Buttermilk Ranch Dip
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/05/oven-fried-pickles-with-skinny-herb.htmlMay 2, 2013
Cornmeal panko herb crusted dill pickles baked in the oven until golden and crisp. Have you ever had fried pickles?
Fried pickles to a New Yorker is quite uncommon, alien actually! But in the South they are wildly popular. The first time I tried fried pickles was at a restaurant in DC, I found myself trying to decide if I liked them, yet oddly reaching for seconds and thirds.

Since then I have had many requests for a make-over and finally tackled the request.
Baking them worked out great, the crumbs stuck perfectly and with a generous amount of oil sprayed on top, they baked to a golden crisp. You can easily make 1/2 batch (1-16 oz jar) for less people. If you are watching your sodium, you may not want to make them unless you can find low sodium dill pickles.

As a base I started with a version Mary from Mary's Bites shared with me, which I slightly adapted it to suit my taste. Hope you Southerners and even all you Yankees enjoy!!

Oven "Fried" Pickles with Skinny Herb Buttermilk Ranch Dip
Adapted from Mary's Bites
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 6 slices with dip • Old Points: 1 pts • Points+: 3 pts
Calories: 58.6 • Fat: 1.4 g • Protein: 2.4 g • Carb: 9.1 g • Fiber: 0.6 g • Sugar: 0.3 g
Sodium: 1248.8 mg
Ingredients:

2 -16 oz jars (48 slices) sliced oval dill hamburger pickles, I used Vlasic
1/2 cup of Panko crumbs
1/4 cup of cornmeal
1/4 cup of flour
1/4 tsp of smoked paprika
1/2 tsp chipotle powder
1/4 cup dried parsley
1/8th tsp kosher salt
1 large egg
1 large egg white
olive oil spray (about 1 tsp)

For the Ranch Dip:
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
1/4 cup fat free Greek yogurt
1 tbsp light mayo
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tbsp chopped fresh chives 1/4 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tsp white balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup 1% low fat buttermilk
Directions:

Make ranch dip by combining all the dip ingredients and refrigerate until pickles are done.

Place pickles to drain on paper towels.

Mix crumbs and flour together along with paprika, parsley, and half the chipotle powder and salt.
Whisk eggs and egg whites in a bowl and season with remaining chipotle powder.

Dip pickles in egg mixture and then into the crumb mix, pressing down on the crumbs.

Heat oven to 450°F along with 2 baking sheets. When the oven reaches 450°, remove baking sheets and spray with olive oil spray; place pickles on the baking sheets and spray the tops of the pickles with the more oil. Bake 8-10 minutes, turn and spray if needed and cook an additional five minutes. Remove pickles from cooking sheet and serve hot with dip.

Replies

• Nikki_G30
    Nikki_G30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What a fun one to pick. I have not tried fried pickles before so this should be interesting. My husband isn't a huge fan of pickles either so I may be in the same boat as you and eating them all alone. I will try to make it this weekend and let you know how it goes.
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I recently tried fried pickles at a restaurant and they were amazing. My bf doesn't much like pickles, and he loved these, so your fam might like them if they're willing to try them. However, I'm definitely halving the recipe since I don't think me and my bf can eat two jars' worth.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel a bit *meh* about making this one. I do love pickes, though. Plus I've never tried deep fried pickles ... sounds yummy to me!

I generally only like to get my oven going if I'm going to get a meal out of it, I'm a bit hesitant to put in the work just to get a plate of pickles, but we'll see. I'll half the recipe and see how it turns out.

It's in the top 25 for a reason, it must be good!

If someone else made them for me, I'd be all over it :happy:
  • BrandiBoo84
    BrandiBoo84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Whatever you wish to do sweets... I like oven friedn pickles but it wont break my heart if we move passed it.
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    They turned out pretty good, but I think having maybe 5 slices would be enough instead of the 25 I ended up eating. This would be better for having a bunch of people over than for a two-person dinner, I think. I did like the accompanying ranch dip, though.