Bad Idea?

Options
Today is the first day my shins are finally feeling better! I've been out of running for 1.5 weeks and am aching to try again. I want to go buy some arch inserts and I have my compression socks. Would it be bad idea to go for a jog already? Maybe start slow (not down hill) and stop at first sign of discomfort? Or is it too soon? I fear of taking me out of running for another two weeks.... Ideas, thoughts, experience?

Replies

• missharleychick
    Options
    also, doing P90 yesterday my shins were tender...so I had to be careful of the warmup (jumping jacks etc) but I was able to do squats.....just a little tender.
  • joyline7
    joyline7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well you are really doing great. I told myself that soreness will never slow me down, if i were u I would start slow as you suggested but not stop completely. You should also have rest days in a week so that your muscles can recover.

Good luck:smile:
  • tameekag
    tameekag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I know you're anxious to run, but what if you make it worse?
    then you are set back again.

I say take it waaaaaaaaaaaay easy on the running. Maybe do intervals of light jogging with walking in between.

Always stay safe! :flowerforyou:
  • missharleychick
    Options
    I did a very slow run, 3 miles in 45 minutes, I normally do 4 miles in 50 minutes...so not bad. One shin was tender, but with my compression socks and arch inserts it wasn't too bad...I won't run tomorrow, I will do P90. I felt so awesome jogging my normal route...I missed it. :)
  • TrinaGoss
    TrinaGoss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Way to go getting out there and doing it! I used to get shin splints when I ran, and it seemed like no matter how long I waited to let my legs heal, the problem would pop back up again sooner or later. What helped me was getting properly fitted for running shoes. I did that about a year ago and have had no issues since then. If you haven't done that, I would suggest trying it if the problem continues. I also saw you mention in another post that your toes started to go numb on the eliptical. I had the same problem too, but my new shoes helped with that as well. I don't get on the eliptical much anymore, but when I do I notice that doesn't happen anymore.

Good luck with the running! You and I are kind of on the same goals with distance and speed, so I like to see how you're doing!
  • missharleychick
    Options
    Way to go getting out there and doing it! I used to get shin splints when I ran, and it seemed like no matter how long I waited to let my legs heal, the problem would pop back up again sooner or later. What helped me was getting properly fitted for running shoes. I did that about a year ago and have had no issues since then. If you haven't done that, I would suggest trying it if the problem continues. I also saw you mention in another post that your toes started to go numb on the eliptical. I had the same problem too, but my new shoes helped with that as well. I don't get on the eliptical much anymore, but when I do I notice that doesn't happen anymore.

Good luck with the running! You and I are kind of on the same goals with distance and speed, so I like to see how you're doing!

Thank You!!! When I got home after my run yesterday, I think it finally dawned on me that my toes are getting squeezed in my running shoes. I will take your advice and go get fitted... we have a few local running specialty shops here in Salt Lake. Today I will ice my left shin, since it is a bit tender still. I got a blister on my other foot because i added foot inserts and my compression socks...so my foot didn't fit right in my shoes....I can't win for losing... :)
  • cricketdc
    cricketdc Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I suggest you take a break until you are 100% :bigsmile: Work out injuries can cause you more delay esp if you hurt yourself more.
    Yesterday I had no work out, I did not sleep the night before. So instead of hurting myself I slept early and chilled.

Lifetime changes are forever, it is not worth hurting ourselves if we plan to do this for a lifetime. 1 to 3 days of resting can save you a week or a month of injury.

Take care
  • southernpawsc
    Options
    Yes, rest more and get quality well-fitting shoes or you'll end up with black toenail/runner's toe on top of everything else!
  • smittygirl
    smittygirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My friends and I are runners and we are always getting some kind of injuries so we always try to diagnose and treat eachother. I know, not a very good idea but we've learned from eachother about what works and what doesn't. My friend had bad shin splints, she took some days off but got right back at it. We decided it was because of her running form. She was lifting her toes up too much making it strain her shins. She has now, as we all are because of various injuries (I have plantar fascitis, ouch! and my other friend has had a painful knee cap.) taking note of our running form and trying to make a better conscious effort in correcting it.
    And yes getting shoes fitted is a great idea, although the best shoes can be kind of pricey it is definitly woth it.
    But I think getting right back into running is not a bad thing.
  • nicolie81587
    nicolie81587 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would do a little jogging on flat areas, and walk hills to start again.