Hey! You are turning purple!!!!! 5/4/2013

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
http://www.oxygenmag.com/Training/Slideshows/Breathing-Techniques-to-Boost-Exercise-Performance.aspx#slide-1

Now this may seem corny but how many of you have been in a fitness class or with PT and they say "KEEP BREATHING!!!!" so this has a whole lot of merit. As my old trainer used to say to me..."oxygen is a gooooood thing!" LOL!

Challenge yourself to consciously really concentrate on correct breathing I tell ya it really does help your workout.

Peace,
WW

Replies

• AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad about this when I work out, especially when it comes to strength training or doing a workout video. I tend to get so caught up in doing the moves correctly that I forget to breathe and then I end up out of breath a few moves later. I need to make a conscious effort to remember to use the proper techniques until it just becomes a habit.

Once again, a very informative and helpful article. Thank you! :)
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    How funny. I was repeating this very statement to my daughters friend today while we were bike riding. Yes, breathing is important. Leslie Sansone reminds her students continually. Get oxygen to your lungs it creates energy to complete the workout.
  • fajeeta
    fajeeta Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! And I love "oxygen is gooooooood." Lol Your trainer was right. Here's another motivator: we need oxygen for the chemical process to burn fat. The better our breathing/the more available oxygen/the more efficiently we burn fat.

I love this quote:

"The amount of energy produced is limited by either the amount of oxygen available to the cell or limited fuel (carbohydrates, fats, and protein) to be oxidized as an energy source."

Here's the article from Cycling Performance Tips... "Exercise Physiology: Energy Production in the Cell" http://www.cptips.com/bscphys.htm

More than you ever wanted to know about metabolism. lol

Off to chug some O2 :)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    My Combat instructor (aka Super Trainer) always says that we need to remember to breathe and she'll ask us questions in between songs, I always say (once I catch my breath) that if I can respond, I'm not working hard enough! But I do have to remember about breathing since it can be hard on me because I have asthma and I currently have 85% lung function (we've found that the lower my weight the better my lung function which is why I'm trying so hard to lose weight.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    My Sensei always says when we are holding our breath that we must be really good at swimming. That makes me laugh since I won't put my face in the water when swimming. Its hard to breath sometimes on every kick or hit we are going so fast in class. I will watch your video later.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! And I love "oxygen is gooooooood." Lol Your trainer was right. Here's another motivator: we need oxygen for the chemical process to burn fat. The better our breathing/the more available oxygen/the more efficiently we burn fat.

I love this quote:

"The amount of energy produced is limited by either the amount of oxygen available to the cell or limited fuel (carbohydrates, fats, and protein) to be oxidized as an energy source."

Here's the article from Cycling Performance Tips... "Exercise Physiology: Energy Production in the Cell" http://www.cptips.com/bscphys.htm

More than you ever wanted to know about metabolism. lol

Off to chug some O2 :)

Thank you so much for the extra reads! I will check it out...it is funny I can actually tell the difference when I breath better in my workout versus holding breath...I am ashamed to say I used to think it was bogus until I breathed well one time and was like 'holy cow I have more energy to finish this!'