ATG vs. Parallel Squats

Options
Weebs628
Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
So, I just finished my second week and I've been having a really hard time nailing down my squat form. I got up to 75 pounds squatting like I thought I should, then I started reading Starting Strength and about going parallel which I was not doing. So, Tuesday I tried squatting parallel with 75 pounds and I would get to the parallel position and have a hard time getting back up. I felt like I had *zero* hip drive and would get "stuck". Today, I stayed with 75 pounds and on my 4th set, I went all the way down...

...and it was so much easier.

Once I got down, I felt like I was able to push out of the bottom better, whereas when trying to go parallel, it felt awkward stopping and was super uncomfortable for me. In doing some research, the consensus seems to be that ATG squats are supposed to be *more* difficult, so now I'm just confused.

I'm a dancer, so maybe that's why ATG feels more natural to me (I think it's because my body is more vertical at the bottom and the motion is like coming up from a plie).

Does anyone want to share opinions on parallel vs. ATG? What do you guys do?

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated!

Replies

• abluebutton
    Options
    A video form check could help.

I've never done ATG, so no comments there.

Did you warm up at 45 and move to 75, how did 45 feel?

Toes pointed out?

Knees shoved out?

I too initially felt no hip drive, but I kept working on it. I only got the knees out well 3 months in. Keep at it. If you read Starting Strength you'll see why he doesn't recommend ATG.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. I did loads of dance (mainly ballet) when I was young, and now I'm middle-aged I do one ballet class a week. I was really struggling with front squats recently, and I tried to ATG instead of just below parallel, and they became much easier! I've just gone back to doing back squats (I'd had a break due to lack of equipment) and was having to stop myself going "too" low.

It does feel more natural, doesn't it?

I've read that there's a risk with ATG of the lower back relaxing and rounding. This doesn't happen during a plie, so maybe dancers have trained themselves to keep their backs in line, and might be better able to avoid this than the average person. I do worry about my back, though, so I think I'm going to stick to just below parallel for back squats, but might continue to go ATG for front squats (it's a more upright position, so less likely to round my back).
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    I think some people think going below parallel is hard because they don't ever actually go below parallel. With half squats, you're "supposed" to have your toes pointed out.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    A video form check could help.

I've never done ATG, so no comments there.

Did you warm up at 45 and move to 75, how did 45 feel?

Toes pointed out?

Knees shoved out?

I too initially felt no hip drive, but I kept working on it. I only got the knees out well 3 months in. Keep at it. If you read Starting Strength you'll see why he doesn't recommend ATG.

Yeah, I may just have to take a video. How you think you look vs how you actually look can be very different. I feel like I could achieve proper form with just the bar. I would do a warm-up set with the bar and would feel like I had the form down and then once I added weight I couldn't stop my squat at parallel. Maybe I should just stick with the bar till I nail this down. I totally understand what my body is *supposed* to be doing (toes out, knees out), it's just not translating. This is such a complex move. So much to think about!

Maybe I'll try going *just below* parallel and see how that feels...
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    I mean toes pointed forward.