' The Crimson Horror' - Series 7, episode 11

Options

Replies

• rbartlett9671
    rbartlett9671 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I liked it... It was a bit obvious who the "monster" was but it strongly reminded me of classic Who... especially the title LOL

Lots of great humour here too... I especially like the little boy who spoke like a GPS and whose name was basically Tom Tom ha ha ... I rolled my eyes and laughed inside LOL

Loved the bit at the end as well with Clara seeing herself in Victorian London and saying she'd never been there... the kids were a tad... I don't know... I really didn't want them tagging along in the next ep but there you go...
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed it too. The story and the pacing were great. Seeing Diana Rigg and her daughter was a special treat!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    The pacing was off, the music was mixed far too loud (again). The music was off. The pacing was really off. I mean, horribly off.

There were a few good moments.
    “Horse! You have failed in your mission! We are lost, with no sign of Sweetville! Do you have any last words before your summary execution? (Pause) The usual story! The fourth one this week! And I’m not even hungry.

Bahahahaa!

But other than the few good jokes, I'm even more disappointed than last week.

Back to pacing. Mark Gatiss wrote this episode, who is a co-creator and writer for Sherlock. Anybody notice that the Sherlock episodes are very nicely paced? You might argue that they are a bit slow, but to me they take their time and allow the story to unfold at a nice even pace. In contrast, "The Crimson Horror" felt horribly rushed and jerky. Telling too much in not enough time. Sound familiar?

There's a new Executive Producer for Doctor Who.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Brian-Minchin-confirmed-as-New-Executive-Producer-of-Doctor-Who

So it looks like there's a transition of ownership of the show in the works. Hopefully Moffat's exit is timed with Matt Smith's.

After season 5 I would have been appalled at the idea of Moffat leaving. Now I'm starting to feel like it's about time.
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed this episode but agree with AngryDiet, they again seem to have too much material and not enough time. It was in great part another Sherlock episode, even down to snippets of the Sherlock music theme, perhaps that is why, to me at least, it felt a little more cohesive than usual.

I also agree I think it about time for Steven Moffat to step aside. I was so excited initially that he was taking over, after all he gave us some great David Tennant episodes, but perhaps they were better because he didn't have the final say over editing. I've often thought he needs someone to keep his episodes in line.

It was very Classic Who, agree with that as well, and also agreed, ditch the two kids, they aren't necessary. Reminds me too much of the Sarah Jane Adventures.. :( which ironically was one of Minchins shows... But he also did Torchwood, so he has some serious Doctor Who credentials, as well as being script editor for series 5 of the reboot..
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I did like the reference to Heathrow airport.
  • rbartlett9671
    Options
    LOL Yes, I liked that remark "the gobby Australian" LOL That was pretty funny... and Strax had some great moments...

Now you've mentioned the pacing, I have to agree with you... it was pretty talky at the beginning and it seemed to take forever for the Doctor to appear. I think if there'd been some mystery as to his location (rather than obviously being the monster) I would have been more interested, but I just found myself wishing he'd hurry up and make an appearance.

I *did* like the clip montage as he's explaining the backstory... but it also felt like a "pay attention Pond" moment as they tried to explain a lot in a pretty short period of time...
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I love Strax. And Jenny & Madam Vastra for that matter.

At the 8:15'ish commercial break with no sign of the Doctor I was a bit dismayed.

I think my favorite snippet was the little boy Thomas Thomas. My first thought as he was babbling directions to Strax was "he's a freakin' GPS." The he gives his name. He's a Tom Tom!! Still makes me giggle.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The Tom Tom thing was kind of funny... but it seems like something they should have all had a laugh at and then not actually put in the episode. I loved The Doctor being the monster. It would have been nice if it had been a little more of a struggle for him to get back to normal.
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I did like the reference to Heathrow airport.

Yeah I liked that as well, in fact I'm off to watch that episode again.. Got to be better than most of what we get now...:)
  • rbartlett9671
    Options
    Yeah, I have to be honest and say I'm (finally) getting a bit tired of the sonic screwdriver being used as a magic wand... it's been used as a pretty weak get-out-of-jail-free plot device a few times now...