Newly diagnosed and looking for pals!

Options
Hi everyone! I'm 29 years old, and was just diagnosed with PCOS in March. I knew for years that that's what it probably was, but I guess I was afraid to confront it and learn what it might mean for my life. Plus, I never really hated the fact that I never had periods. But, once I started to research it, it become so clear that I needed to finally see the doctor. Anyways, to make a long story short, I'm currently awaiting D and C results for uterine cancer possibilities due to endometrial hyperplasia from eight periodless years. (Why did I put this off for so long??? Wish I could go back in time and slap myself!) I have not started any PCOS treatment yet, but that will hopefully begin this Friday when I get my test results. I'm very anxious, but also very hopeful that I can now fight and beat the monster that I have ignored for too long. Currently, my husband and I are not looking at the fertility aspect, but not to say that couldn't change.

I'm looking for pals to bounce experiences off of, as far as treatment, diet, excercise, etc goes. It seems that the battle to lose weight will be more intertwined with the PCOS than I first imagined. I hope to be a supportive friend to anyone who needs one in this weight loss journey we are on! I have a goal to lose 50 lbs as of now, which would put me under 200lbs. When this happens, I will probably cry the happiest tears ever cried.

Replies

• WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I like you had thought I had it, but, I didn't want to confront it because I thought that I had it because I struggled for my weight my whole life nad that I did it to myself. So once I found out that it was actually the opposite that the PCOS contributed to my weight I felt much better about it. Except for the fact that I am trying to conceive we are just starting year two of trying.
    This is a great group of women to learn and bounce things off of. I'll add you to my friends list.
  • photojunkie28
    photojunkie28 Posts: 292
    Options
    I am not diagnosed YET. I have a Dr. appointment on Wed then bloodwork ect...I'm certain I have P.C.O.S though. I've had 1 period in the last year among other symptoms. I'm scared, but ready to take on the journey. At least it may explain why I eat reasonably clean and workout like a beast with less than stellar results!

Anywho...I searched Pcos on youtube.com and found an amazing 90 day series of videos that i've started watching. It's been very insightful, helpful and made me hopeful that I will be able to explore a holistic approach to treatment as I am not a fan of pharmaseuticals. I think the website is freedomfrompcos.com as well. hope this helps :)
  • NoirDancer
    NoirDancer Posts: 62
    Options
    I just got my test results back on Monday and I was referred to an endocronilogist so we shall see, but feel free to add me!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am not diagnosed YET. I have a Dr. appointment on Wed then bloodwork ect...I'm certain I have P.C.O.S though. I've had 1 period in the last year among other symptoms. I'm scared, but ready to take on the journey. At least it may explain why I eat reasonably clean and workout like a beast with less than stellar results!

Anywho...I searched Pcos on youtube.com and found an amazing 90 day series of videos that i've started watching. It's been very insightful, helpful and made me hopeful that I will be able to explore a holistic approach to treatment as I am not a fan of pharmaseuticals. I think the website is freedomfrompcos.com as well. hope this helps :)

I'm currently being treated by a Dr of Naturopathy, because I wanted to try treating PCOS the natural way before resorting to medications. I stopped eating gluten and added sugar, and tried to go a lot lower on the carb intake. Not sure if it's made a difference yet, but I'm hoping.. from everything I've read PCOS is one of the diseases that is the most receptive to natural supplements and diet changes.
  • Tamicejl
    Tamicejl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey welcome to the group... as alot of you all know I tried my natural supplements without a Dr. Naturapath and .... the supplement ...it worked and then something happened and things went crazy. The CYCLE from hell..... I had to restart my medication... and now the meds seem to be unresponsive. So I am 2 months in to a endless CYCLE. I can offer advise and encourgement and support .... to anyone who needs it ....Currently I'm in a valley of my own soo...... Im here if anyone needs to talk.

smoochess
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am also looking for some support through MFP. I've lost about 30 lbs since Oct with the help of medication but have had a majorly long plateau and its starting to get me down. Been diagnosed for about 3+ years but looking back at my symptoms I know I've had it for at least 10+ years. So frustrated with having this condition.
  • abbyfarkas
    abbyfarkas Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, and the friendship! It feels incredible to have someone to talk to about this besides my husband and doctor. Also, I have put "natural treatment options" in big letters on my list of things to research and talk to DR about. So excited to hear this may be a possibility! I'm the type that doesn't take prescriptions unless absolutely necessary, and I'd prefer not to start. Main concern is having a cycle four times a year so I don't reach endometrial hyperplasia again.

Anyways, good luck to all and thanks for the support!
  • celinarae94
    celinarae94 Posts: 131
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was only 12... so fortunately they caught it quickly. But it has taken MANY years for me to overcome the obstacles... it made my teenage years Hell when it came to weight fluctuations (that and the psych meds doctors put me on).
    But now here I am 12 years later and doing very well with it. My blood sugar is fantastic. My weight is managed. I just found a good birth control, exercised and a clean diet. For some it does take more than that (metformin etc.)
    I highly recommend going gluten free.. or as gluten free as you can.
  • sm4k
    sm4k Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello!

So glad that you decided to get the PCOS diagnosed and treated.

In the five years I have been diagnosed, there has been a huge influx in the knowledge and treatments available to us.

Catherine
  • erin62084j
    erin62084j Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 28 (29 next month) and I too suffer from PCOS. When I was 10 I had horrible stomach pains, and they saw cysts on my ovaries, but they finally disappeared, so we let it go. We never followed up until I met my husband in 2004 and we started talking about having kids. 2005 was my year from hell as far as medicines and HORRIBLE 2-3 month periods followed by D&C's to get it to stop. Finally, things settled down (slightly) and with the help of multiple fertilty treatments, we were able to welcome our son in 2011. Since then I've gained even more weight, and I've started having the pain and bursting cysts again, so I've decided to try to alter my diet and exercise. Plus, I don't wanna be the fat mom at the theme parks with my son trying to squeeze into the rides. I'm also looking for friends who can help me talk it out and figure out what my next step should be. Feel free to add me :)
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! i just got diagnosed too!
  • divs2k7
    divs2k7 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi! Feel free to add me too. I came to know of it about 3 years earlier, when I was 26. I went on a cycle of birth control pills for just 4 months, and then stopped it. For some time my periods were spot on time, but they started fluctuating almost 10 months later, before they started to completely disappear about an year ago. In the last year, the longest I've gone without periods is 3 months, the same is happening now. It's 3 months, and no sign of it yet! Right now I am on no medications, because my doc says its OK to go without periods for even 6 months. It's really hard because my husband and I were eager to have kids this year. I've just started on my weight loss journey, got to lose about 20 kg. Hope things work out fine!
  • EmpressoftheCosmos
    Options
    Hey sistas! I have known that I have pcos for a couple years now... Experienced many ups and downs (weight lose/gain, miscarriage, mood swings, excessive hair) but overall I have managed to have a positive outlook on life with pcos. Feel free to add me ladies!!!