GPS watch?

Options
Saree1902
Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
Hello all, :smile:

I'm rapidly falling out of love with my Garmin forerunner 110 and was after recommendations please!

I like to track miles and pace. I also sometimes use it with a HRM for at home workouts.

The Garmin was ok, but it takes forever to find satellites and the on/off button has just stopped working! PLus it tends to crash for no apparent reason on a regular basis. And I've had it just over a year...not fantastic! :grumble:

Any ideas gratefully received! :flowerforyou:

S x

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Can you see if there is a firmware update for it? That might fix the crashing issues.

As the entry level device, the 110 has less sophisticated GPS functionality that some of Garmin's other models. I have a 610 and it takes 15 seconds or less to lock on to the satellites. Of course, it's a lot more expensive too.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I am using a 2 year old Garmin 310XT and have very few problems with it. My only issue is that two of the buttons are starting to malfunction after 1009 runs/ 943 hrs of use.
  • fasterandbetter
    fasterandbetter Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have Garmin 610 and pretty happy with it, it is however a lot more expensive
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have used the Forerunner 310 in the past and now have a 910xt. I love the 910xt but it is pricey!!!
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Just upgraded my old 305 with a 310XT. Looks good so far :)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hello all, :smile:

I'm rapidly falling out of love with my Garmin forerunner 110 and was after recommendations please!

I like to track miles and pace. I also sometimes use it with a HRM for at home workouts.

The Garmin was ok, but it takes forever to find satellites and the on/off button has just stopped working! PLus it tends to crash for no apparent reason on a regular basis. And I've had it just over a year...not fantastic! :grumble:

Any ideas gratefully received! :flowerforyou:

S x

Call Garmin tech support and see if they will warranty it or if you can buy a refurb.

Another option - Garmin sent out a promo email yesterday and the 110 was one of the models that they're selling at a discount. The price is a little bit cheaper than gpscity.com or amazon.com. The promo code is "MOTHERS13".

I started with a 305 and switched to a 610 back in October. As other's have posted, the 610 connects pretty quickly but it ain't cheap - $400+ (I bought mine form REI since they offer a member rebate). In contrast, my 305 is available if you're interested in a used 305.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Definitely call Garmin. They have great customer service. I just exchanged my ancient 305~no problems and a three day turn around. I am very pleased!
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I had a quick look at the competition but nothing seems to compare to Garmin!

I'm also considering upgrading to the 210 since it is a happy medium price and functionality-wise between the 110 and the 410...
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    My wife & I each got the 310XT at Christmas. Mine had a terrible time finding satellites until I did a hard reset. It's better but still takes a couple of minutes sometimes. I usually turn it on and let it acquire sats while I warm up. My wife's 310XT has froze up twice for no apparent reason. The first time she lost her run data and the 2nd time we were able to reset it without losing the data. Customer support has been very responsive to our issues but these things seem pretty buggy. Will I buy another Garmin? Probably.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have a 410 and while overall I'm pretty happy with it, it does take for-freaking-ever to find satellites. There's no point even bothering to try to find them if I'm indoors, so I end up standing around outside my house trying to stay warm while my watch searches and searches before my runs. Other than that, it connects great to my computer, I love all the data I get off of it, it's been pretty reliable on my runs. Costco had this particular model on sale around the holidays, so I got it for a pretty good price.
  • ziegman49
    ziegman49 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had a 210 for about a year till I switched to the 910. The only reason I changed was because I needed a watch that could do swimming and biking as well. The 210 is a good watch and can use a HR monitor plus you can set it to intervals. I was very happy with it.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    There's no point even bothering to try to find them if I'm indoors, so I end up standing around outside my house trying to stay warm while my watch searches and searches before my runs.

i put my 305 on the porch and then go inside to get my shoes on while it searches.
  • margieo1983
    margieo1983 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I noticed that nobody mentioned Timex or Polar. I am looking for my first GPS watch and have done a bit of researching, but I'm still not sure what I want. Anybody have any experience with those brands?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I noticed that nobody mentioned Timex or Polar. I am looking for my first GPS watch and have done a bit of researching, but I'm still not sure what I want. Anybody have any experience with those brands?

Garmin is the industry leader in technology and customer service. There is no reason to look at any other brand.
  • ColorfulWeirdo
    ColorfulWeirdo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I also recommend to stick with Garmin. I have called them a few times for my Garmin 110 and they have always been helpful. I love love love their customer service.

Another vote for the person who recommended sticking it out on your porch while you lace up your shoes. I live in an apartment in the DC area, so I stick mine in the window seal of my bathroom (which trial and error taught me was the best place in the house), lace up my shoes , fill up my water bottle, and it's ready when I am.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have used the Forerunner 310 in the past and now have a 910xt. I love the 910xt but it is pricey!!!
    I use Forerunner 305 and am considering 910XT