One America 500 Mini Marathon

Options
Just wanted to give a shout out to everyone to completed the Mini yesterday! We did it!!!! :)

Replies

• miskit65
    miskit65 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you and everyone who completed the race. I finished it too! What a great day!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Congrats, everyone! It was a great day for it--best weather we could have asked for. It was my 6th time...and a PR by over 13 minutes!

Today, I went to the gym and did 30 easy minutes on the recumbent stationary bike for recovery, then hit the steam room until my muscles melted into goo. Now lying on the couch with my feet up, and a mug of (anti-inflammatory) green tea in my hand.

Hope you're all recovering well, and already thinking about signing up for next year!
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    This was my 2nd year. Shaved off about 18mins from last year. Looking to do it again next year :)
  • JDunbar82
    JDunbar82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I ran it! This was my first one. I pulled my groin muscle about a month ago and I was worried I wouldn't be able to complete it but I managed to wrap it up good( and some prescription Ibuprofen didn't hurt either haha) and I managed to run the whole thing. My pace was much slower than normal, but I was just happy I got to finish it after all the training. I'm definitely going to sign up next year, figure it shouldn't be too hard to set a new better record next year! I have to say, I was really impressed with how positive the whole experience was...everyone from the participants to the bystanders had such a great attitude..it was a great day :)
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I ran it - was more of a jog/walk/crawl/etc. Either way, I shaved 36 minutes off of last years time, so I'll take it :)
  • puzwuz1
    puzwuz1 Posts: 42
    Options
    Ran the Seymour Mini on the same day but am looking forward to running the Indy Mini next year. It was my first mini and I was happy with my finish. Hoping to train for a marathon this September! Congratulations to all the finishers this weekend!
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    congrats everyone!! I heard a lot of people got PR's.

I'm definitely doing it next year.

Angie
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    This was my second time doing it. I shaved 5 minutes off of my time and had a GREAT time!! Congratulations to everyone!!
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely considering doing it next year!

(how's that for a commitment? :laugh: )
  • mojohowitz
    Options

https://www.signmeup.com/site/online-event-registration/90770

Do it. Where else do you get the chance to check out 17,000 women in running shorts? (Sorry ladies! Just trying to motivate.)
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

New to the group and new to these boards - so please forgive any errors or gaffes! I'm the mom of 6, current weight 265, obese all my life.

This was my first Mini and it was awesome. I didn't finish but gave it my best shot. Did a PB for the first mile of 17:33, made it past the 5k mark (furthest I'd ever gone before in competition), and didn't get caught by the 18 minute pace markers until 4.5 miles. At that point, hubby (who had been doing it with me) took off as per our agreement (he's a 8 min a mile runner), and I made it almost another mile before my legs gave out (literally).

I know - sounds like an awful day - but like I said, for me, it was an awesome job and I am proud of what I managed to do. When I started training last November, my mile time was 24 minutes (yes, LOL, it really is possible for someone to be moving that slow and still be trying their best!) The longest distance I had ever gone in my life was a 5K. In training, I was able to get down to a steady 20 minute pace for 6+ miles, but starting the mini, I knew I wasn't really ready. However, I figured it was better to face my fears and fail, then wait around and maybe never be "ready". My proudest accomplishment was literally pushing it till I had no more to give.

Started training for next year yesterday (first day I could take normal steps again). Just did a half mile, but it's a start! *smile*
    This event has been on my bucket list since I was 14, and I'm going to keep trying till I make it.

And for the record - nope, I have no idea why I'm so slow. On race day, I was giving it all I had and (just like in my 5k's) all the other walkers passed me like I was standing still. I did the Dirty Girl last year (loved the mud crawl and cargo net!) and my daughters had to walk backwards to try to stay down to my pace. I'd say it's my weight *shrug* but Saturday I got passed by people twice my girth so ???? Any suggestions, books, or websites I could look into to help me figure out my "slow", I'd love to hear about.

Congrats to all of you who finished!

LJ
  • LJgfg
    Options

Do it. Where else do you get the chance to check out 17,000 women in running shorts? (Sorry ladies! Just trying to motivate.)

You forgot to mention the belly-dancers *wink*
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

New to the group and new to these boards - so please forgive any errors or gaffes! I'm the mom of 6, current weight 265, obese all my life.

This was my first Mini and it was awesome. I didn't finish but gave it my best shot. Did a PB for the first mile of 17:33, made it past the 5k mark (furthest I'd ever gone before in competition), and didn't get caught by the 18 minute pace markers until 4.5 miles. At that point, hubby (who had been doing it with me) took off as per our agreement (he's a 8 min a mile runner), and I made it almost another mile before my legs gave out (literally).

I know - sounds like an awful day - but like I said, for me, it was an awesome job and I am proud of what I managed to do. When I started training last November, my mile time was 24 minutes (yes, LOL, it really is possible for someone to be moving that slow and still be trying their best!) The longest distance I had ever gone in my life was a 5K. In training, I was able to get down to a steady 20 minute pace for 6+ miles, but starting the mini, I knew I wasn't really ready. However, I figured it was better to face my fears and fail, then wait around and maybe never be "ready". My proudest accomplishment was literally pushing it till I had no more to give.

Started training for next year yesterday (first day I could take normal steps again). Just did a half mile, but it's a start! *smile*
    This event has been on my bucket list since I was 14, and I'm going to keep trying till I make it.

And for the record - nope, I have no idea why I'm so slow. On race day, I was giving it all I had and (just like in my 5k's) all the other walkers passed me like I was standing still. I did the Dirty Girl last year (loved the mud crawl and cargo net!) and my daughters had to walk backwards to try to stay down to my pace. I'd say it's my weight *shrug* but Saturday I got passed by people twice my girth so ???? Any suggestions, books, or websites I could look into to help me figure out my "slow", I'd love to hear about.

LJ

You are awesome. That is all.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    LJ--congrats on giving it your all! And excellent work getting out there and starting your training for next year. Stay focused and keep walking, and I know you can finish. I walked my first Mini, and was just about in tears when I crossed the finish line hand-in-hand with my son.

My advice: for both runners and walkers, endurance HAS to come before speed. Keep walking, and don't worry about your pace for now. Slow down, even. You got to 6 miles at a 20-minute pace. How far could you go now at a 22-minute pace? 24?

Also, how many times a week do you walk? I would think 3 or 4 days would be good for now, maybe building up to 5 or 6 in six or eight months. And I would do shorter walks most of the time, with one long walk per week. On shorter walks (1-3 miles) you could try to go a little faster--but not necessarily for the whole walk. Incorporating even short bursts where you pick up the pace will help build your fitness, and eventually lead to a faster pace overall. Go s-l-o-w on the long walk. 5 or 6 miles would be good for now, since you've already made it to 6--you have a long time to build up to that 13, so take your time. Get strong!

You can also add in some cross training once or twice a week that will strengthen the legs without stressing the joints as much: if you have a gym membership, the stationary bike is good. So is swimming. The elliptical. Yoga or Pilates would also help with flexibility and overall body strength. But don't overdo it. Again, you have time.

You will cross that Mini off your bucket list! You will. Keep us posted with your progress, and best of luck!
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options

You forgot to mention the belly-dancers *wink*

Well, heck, no one ever told me about belly-dancers... I'll be there for sure now! :laugh:
  • mojohowitz
    Options
    Hi All!

LJ

We may not have won the race but we won a much bigger victory than the top finishers.
  • LJgfg
    Options
    LJ--congrats on giving it your all! And excellent work getting out there and starting your training for next year. Stay focused and keep walking, and I know you can finish. I walked my first Mini, and was just about in tears when I crossed the finish line hand-in-hand with my son.

My advice: for both runners and walkers, endurance HAS to come before speed. Keep walking, and don't worry about your pace for now. Slow down, even. You got to 6 miles at a 20-minute pace. How far could you go now at a 22-minute pace? 24?

Also, how many times a week do you walk? I would think 3 or 4 days would be good for now, maybe building up to 5 or 6 in six or eight months. And I would do shorter walks most of the time, with one long walk per week. On shorter walks (1-3 miles) you could try to go a little faster--but not necessarily for the whole walk. Incorporating even short bursts where you pick up the pace will help build your fitness, and eventually lead to a faster pace overall. Go s-l-o-w on the long walk. 5 or 6 miles would be good for now, since you've already made it to 6--you have a long time to build up to that 13, so take your time. Get strong!

You can also add in some cross training once or twice a week that will strengthen the legs without stressing the joints as much: if you have a gym membership, the stationary bike is good. So is swimming. The elliptical. Yoga or Pilates would also help with flexibility and overall body strength. But don't overdo it. Again, you have time.

You will cross that Mini off your bucket list! You will. Keep us posted with your progress, and best of luck!

Thank you! Currently, my training is set up pretty much as you suggest - I'm supposed to do 3 short "runs" (if I even run just a few steps I count it as a "run" *grin* - mental mind-game) and 1 long "run" each week. I'll be honest - it's tough though with all the kidlings. They are all involved in activities and we live in the suburbs so some days are just drive days *shrug* If I'm able to stay at one practice (rather than driving on to pick up /drop off another kid) then I work out there, but sometimes it doesn't happen.

No gym membership - just the great outdoors. I'm excited for this summer - I think I can make real progress with the better weather and fewer commitments. A lot of my mini training was also put on hold by weather since I didn't start training till last November. I wasn't a total wimp though *grin* I have not-so-fond memories of doing 5 miles at Ft. Ben in the sleet.

I think you're right - it's just going to take time and consistency.

LJ
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Great job LJ! I didn't participate this year due to a strained calf and hip. I will run in it next year!
  • lim4m
    lim4m Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I finished it too and this was my fifth one. This year my uncle and two sons were doing the Mini as well. So I matched pace with my uncle and didn't worry about how fast I could go. I didn't train worth anything and so finishing was all that mattered to me. Three generations doing the Mini together was pretty awesome though! My husband actually did the 5K and had a PR time so that wasa great too.It all started with me signing up for the Mini five years ago to prove I could do it.

Hoping that next year I can be much lighter and much faster!