Recipes

melkadee
melkadee Posts: 5,598 Member
Hey all you culinary geniuses! Do you have a delicious, healthy recipe that you would like to share? Share it here with a list of ingredients, directions for preparation, and caloric info. (if you have it)!

Replies

• Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    This is so good!

CHICKEN OAXACA ~ via Cooking Light

Ingredients

Chipotle sauce:

1/4 cup hot water
    1/2 teaspoon chicken-flavored bouillon granules
    4 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
    3/4 cup low-fat sour cream
    1 tablespoon lime juice

Chicken:

1 peeled avocado, cut into 6 wedges
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    6 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded asadero or Monterey Jack cheese
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon white pepper
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
    1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    Cooking spray

8 cups hot cooked linguine (about 1 pound uncooked pasta)
    1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Preparation

To prepare chipotle sauce, combine first 3 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Pour sauce into a bowl; stir in sour cream and 1 tablespoon juice.
    To prepare chicken, toss avocado with 1 tablespoon juice. Cut a horizontal slit through thickest portion of each breast half to form a pocket. Stuff 1 avocado slice and 2 tablespoons cheese into each pocket. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and dredge chicken in flour. Dip chicken in egg whites; dredge in breadcrumbs.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sauté 6 minutes on each side or until chicken is done.

Toss pasta with olives and parsley. Place 1 1/3 cups pasta on each of 6 plates. Arrange chicken on pasta; top each serving with about 3 tablespoons chipotle sauce.

Nutritional Information when prepared as recipe states
    Amount per serving

Calories: 674
    Calories from fat: 26%
    Fat: 19.8g
    Saturated fat: 7.1g
    Monounsaturated fat: 7.5g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
    Protein: 45.3g
    Carbohydrate: 77g
    Fiber: 3.8g
    Cholesterol: 88mg
    Iron: 5.7mg
    Sodium: 570mg
    Calcium: 216mg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The past few times I have made this I have been saving a few more calories, as well as prep time, but doing this:

Instead of stuffing a pocket, I sliced the chicken horizontally to make one large breast 2 thin ones (so half the portion of chicken).

No breading (so no flour, breadcrumbs or egg whites), just sauteed the breasts with salt & pepper.

When done, I topped with a slice of monterey jack cheese and avocado. Covered the skillet for a moment to allow the steam to melt the cheese and then served with the sauce.

Using pasta as a side seems strange to me, and I don't care for olives. Instead, I serve it with black beans and rice.

The presentation isn't as impressive and there is no crunch from the breading, but the flavors are all there.
  • Brie4me
    Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps - 4 Points

This flavorful and low calorie Thai recipe is a great, low carb way to eat finger food. Juicy and perfectly seasoned chicken breasts are wrapped in fresh lettuce and make an excellent Weight Watchers lunch idea.
    Ingredients

1lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
    8 large lettuce leaves, washed and dried
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
    1 tbsp sugar
    1-2 tbsp Thai chili paste
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 cup cilantro
    Juice from 1 lime

Instructions

Heat sesame oil in a medium sized non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
    Add in garlic, and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Then add in chicken and cook until browned on all sides.
    Turn heat down to medium, and then stir in soy sauce, chili paste, sugar, and lime juice, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until chicken is full cooked through…about 8-10 minutes.
    Divide chicken evenly amongst lettuce leaves and top with cilantro. Serve immediately.

Preparation time: 10 minute(s)

Cooking time: 15 minute(s)

Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein

Number of servings (yield): 4

Culinary tradition: Thai

Entire recipe makes 4 servings
    Serving size is 2 wraps
    Each serving = 4 Points +

PER SERVING: 176 calories; 5.5g fat; 5.5g carbohydrates; 24g protein; 0g fiber

Read more: http://www.laaloosh.com/2013/04/29/thai-chicken-lettuce-wraps-recipe/#ixzz2SXk0aPTc
  • Thanks for the recipe BJB66! I will try the Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps!
  • melkadee
    :happy: Thank you for the wonderful recipes, BJB66! You rock!
  • Brie4me
    You're welcome! Here's another. I've made these twice, they are fun party food!

Buffalo Chicken Rolls

makes 12

12 egg roll wrappers (roughly 4 square inches)

1 cup cooked and shredded chicken (6 ounces)

1/2- 2/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce

1 cup crumbled blue cheese (4 ounces)

1 cup broccoli slaw or cole slaw (dry)

Small bowl of water

Nonstick cooking spray

Blue cheese dressing, for serving

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lay egg roll wrappers on a clean work surface. In a small bowl, stir chicken* (see note below) and hot sauce until well coated, using more or less sauce depending on your spice preference. The meat should be moist with sauce.

Begin by placing one tablespoon of the broccoli slaw on the diagonal of the bottom right corner of one of the wrappers. Next, place 2 tablespoons of shredded spicy chicken evenly on top of the slaw. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the blue cheese crumbles over the chicken. Do not overfill.

To fold: Fold the bottom right corner over the stuffing mixture so that it covers it completely, with the tip of the corner now pointing to the center of the egg roll wrapper. Fold in the bottom left corner, followed by the right, so that you now have formed an envelope. Roll the wrap upward one time, leaving the top left corner open. Wet your index finger in the small bowl of water and press to moisten the top left corner. Now fold that down on top of the filled roll, sealing it like you would an envelope.

Repeat with remaining rolls.

Place the rolls on a wire rack set on top of a cookie sheet (or just on a greased cookie sheet) coated with nonstick cooking spray. Spritz each roll evenly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the rolls crisp and turn a light golden brown.

*Note: To make the chicken, place 1/2 lb of uncooked chicken breast in a small pot and fill with enough water just to cover it. Bring to a boil on your stovetop, reduce the heat slightly, then simmer for about 12 minutes, or until cooked through. Drain and let cool before shredding with two forks, pulling against the grain of the meat.

Nutrition Information for 1 roll: Calories: 103, Fat: 3.2g, Cholesterol 19.5mg, Sodium 237.7mg, Carb: 9.9g, Fiber: 0.5g, Sugars: 0.3g, Protein: 8.1g

Here is the link so you can see the step-by-step photos: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2011/01/31/buffalo-chicken-rolls/
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Nice contributions...

As a working mom I am more of a throw together of whole foods chef. sans recipes.

Fish Night:
    Filets of salmon or other fish. fresh or frozen
    Fresh vegetables, any mixture that roast well, about four cups (zucchini, mushrooms, red onions, asparagus whatever)
    olive oil
    seasonings

Rice or other starch

Spread olive oil on a rectangular cookie sheet with a lip
    Arrange four filets spread out on the cookie sheet
    Toss cut up vegetables (large pieces) with olive oil, seasonings
    Arrange around fish pieces

Move oven rack to lowest position in COLD oven. Slide in the cookie sheet. Set oven to 425 degrees F for about 20 mins. depending on thickness of fish and if frozen etc. No turning or flipping ingredients. In the meantime cook rice. Dinner is ready.

Add a salad or coleslaw as desired.

Feeds three or four people, including my picky kid. Usually there is one leftover portion for a lunch the next day.
    Calories depend on portion size, just eyeball about the size of your palm for servings of fish and rice plus 2 cups of veggies per serving = 500 calories.

I have more will post later. :tongue:
  • Brie4me
    I've never heard of that technique. Nice to not have to wait for the oven to pre-heat! :drinker:
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Just made a supper yummy salmon recipe for dinner last night.
    1lb salmon
    1/4C maple syrup (the real stuff)
    2tsp soy sauce
    1garlic clove minced

Combine syrup, soy sauce and garlic in a bowl. Place salmon in shallow glass baking dish and pour mixture over it. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until fish is flaky.

I put the fish and mixture in a resealable bag for 30 minutes to better saturate the salmon and it is very important not to marinate for more than 30 minutes, fish is not like other meats when marinating. I served it with roasted brussel sprouts (my new favorite veggie) and a huge green salad. Heavenly!
  • Brie4me
    I just came across this and had to share:

Overnight Bananas Fosters French Toast
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1 slice with bananas • Points: 6 pts • Points+: 8 pts
    Calories: 294.8 • Fat: 4.9 g • Protein: 10.5 g • Carb: 59 g • Fiber: 1.6 g

Ingredients:

cooking spray
    10 oz Challah bread, sliced 1 inch thick (Hawaiian or Brioche would work)
    2 large eggs
    1 cup egg substitute
    1-1/2 cups fat free milk
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 cup agave or white sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp Meyers rum or rum extract (optional)

For the Banana Topping:

1 tbsp light butter
    1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tbsp Meyers rum or 1 tsp rum extract (optional)
    4 medium ripe bananas, sliced

Directions:

Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish, squeezing them slightly to fit.

In a large bowl whisk together eggs, egg substitute, milk, vanilla, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, agave or sugar, salt and rum until combined well and pour evenly over bread. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight for best results.

Preheat oven to 350° F. and bring bread to room temperature.Bake uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 40 to 45 minutes.

Meanwhile while it's baking, in a large deep sauté pan melt light butter over low heat. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and rum and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add a few drops of water if needed and let sauce simmer about 2 minutes. Add sliced bananas and remove from heat. Keep covered until french toast comes out of the oven. When french toast is cooked, divide among 8 plates and top with bananas. Enjoy!!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/bananas-fosters-topped-overnight-french.html
  • melkadee
    Thanks for the great recipe, Rocky! I am always looking for something quick and easy! You rock!
  • melkadee
    Thanks for the recipe Daisiemae! Real maple syrup ... yum! You rock!
  • melkadee
    Thanks BJB66. I have not heard of Challah bread.
  • melkadee
    Crab Cakes:smile:

141 calories
    18 g protein
    6 g carbs
    4 g fat
    93 mg cholesterol
    822 mg sodium
    284 mg potassium

1 slightly beaten egg
    1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
    2 tablespoons reduced calorie mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon prepared mustard
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 pound crabmeat, drained, flaked, and cartilage removed
    1/4 cup finely crushed saltine crackers
    Nonstick spray coating
    1 medium tomato, sliced
    Lemon wedges (optional)

1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine egg 1/4 cup of yogurt, mayonnaise, parsley, Worchestershire sauce, mustard, paprika, and pepper. Stir in crabmeat and crushed crackers.
    2. Shape crab mixture into five 3-inch patties
    3. Spray a shallow baking pan with nonstick spray coating. Arrange patties in pan. Broil 4 to 6 inches from the heat for 10 to 15 minutes or till lightly browned. Do not turn patties during broiling.
    4. Serve crab cakes on tomato slices with remaining yogurt. Garnish with lemon wedges. Makes 5 servings.
  • melkadee
    Beef, Tomato & Olive Kabobs

Calories - 166
    Protein - 12g
    Carbohydrate 1g
    Sugar - 1g
    Fat - 12g

Ingredients
    1lb rump or sirloin steak
    16 cherry tomatoes
    16 large green olives, pitted
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    focaccia bread, to serve

Baste
    4 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp sherry vinegar
    1 garlic clove, crushed

Tomato Relish
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 red onion, finely chopped
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    6 plum tomatoes, skinned, seeded, and chopped
    2 green olives, pitted and sliced
    1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1 tbsp lemon juice

1. Trim any fat from the meat and cut into about 24 even size pieces
    2. Thread the meat onto 8 skewers, alternating it with cherry tomatoes and the pitted whole olives
    3. To make the baste, combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl
    4. To make the fresh tomato relish, heat the oil in a small pan and cook the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add the tomatoes and sliced olives and cok for 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes are softened slightly. Stir in the parsley and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and keep warm or let chill.
    5. Grill the skewers on an oiled rack over hot coals for 5-10 minutes, basting and turning frequently. Serve with tomato relish and slices of focaccia.
  • rocky503
    Beef, Tomato & Olive Kabobs

Calories - 166
    Protein - 12g
    Carbohydrate 1g
    Sugar - 1g
    Fat - 12g

Ingredients
    1lb rump or sirloin steak
    16 cherry tomatoes
    16 large green olives, pitted
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    focaccia bread, to serve

Baste
    4 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp sherry vinegar
    1 garlic clove, crushed

Tomato Relish
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 red onion, finely chopped
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    6 plum tomatoes, skinned, seeded, and chopped
    2 green olives, pitted and sliced
    1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1 tbsp lemon juice

1. Trim any fat from the meat and cut into about 24 even size pieces
    2. Thread the meat onto 8 skewers, alternating it with cherry tomatoes and the pitted whole olives
    3. To make the baste, combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl
    4. To make the fresh tomato relish, heat the oil in a small pan and cook the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add the tomatoes and sliced olives and cok for 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes are softened slightly. Stir in the parsley and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and keep warm or let chill.
    5. Grill the skewers on an oiled rack over hot coals for 5-10 minutes, basting and turning frequently. Serve with tomato relish and slices of focaccia.

Not that's something I would make, I might do it this week....
  • rocky503
    Crock it baby, Roast chicken

Whole fresh or defrosted chicken, with or without skin (your choice)
    season with salt and pepper, Italian herb blend or herbs de Provence
    Place on small rack in crockpot
    Pour about 1/2 or so of water on the bottom
    Cook on low for about 5 or 6 hours (If you have a newer crockpot you can delay the start time and or set it to go keep warm mode if you are not home for 8 to 10 hours)
    Serve with:
    Whole wheat couscous (takes five minutes to make)
    Steamed veggies (I like broccoli or aspragus)
    Add a salad

That's dinner......
  • melkadee
    Crock it baby, Roast chicken

Whole fresh or defrosted chicken, with or without skin (your choice)
    season with salt and pepper, Italian herb blend or herbs de Provence
    Place on small rack in crockpot
    Pour about 1/2 or so of water on the bottom
    Cook on low for about 5 or 6 hours (If you have a newer crockpot you can delay the start time and or set it to go keep warm mode if you are not home for 8 to 10 hours)
    Serve with:
    Whole wheat couscous (takes five minutes to make)
    Steamed veggies (I like broccoli or aspragus)
    Add a salad

That's dinner......

I love cooking in the crock pot! So easy! Thanks for the recipe!
  • melkadee
    Fruity Yogurt Ice :tongue:

111 calories
    3 g protein
    24 g carbohydrate
    1 g fat
    3 mg cholesterol
    38 mg sodium
    186 mg potassium

1 15 or 16-ounce can red raspberries, peach slices, blueberries or apricot halves
    2 8-ounce cartons vanilla low-fat yogurt
    1 tablespoon honey

1. Place undrained raspberries, peachers, blueberries or apricot halves in a blender container or food processor bowl. Blend or process till smooth. If using raspberries, strain them to remove seeds.
    2. In a medium mixing bowl stir together blended fruit, yogurt, and honey. Pour into an 8x8x2 inch pan.
    3. Cover and freeze for 3 to 4 hours or till firm.
    4. Break frozen mixture into chunks with a wooden spoon and place in a chilled large mixer bowl.
    5. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed till fluffy. Return to pan.
    6. Cover and freeze for 6 hours more or till firm.
    7. To serve, let mixture stand at room temperature for 5 minutes, then scoop into dessert dishes. Serves 8.
  • Brie4me
    Sounds yummy< Mel!

Tequila-Glazed Grilled Chicken Thighs

Brush chicken thighs with a tequila glaze that's been sweetened with pineapple juice and honey for a deliciously tropical grilled chicken entree. Serve with rice pilaf and a mixed green salad for a complete meal.

Cooking Light JUNE 2011

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 thigh)
    Hands-on:40 Minutes
    Total:1 Hour

Ingredients

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
    6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skinned
    3/4 cup pineapple juice
    1/3 cup tequila

1/4 cup honey
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    2 teaspoons water
    2 teaspoons grated lime rind
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    Cooking spray

Preparation

1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat using both burners. After preheating, turn the left burner off (leave the right burner on).

2. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; rub evenly over chicken.

3. Bring the pineapple juice, tequila, and honey to a boil in a small saucepan; cook until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 10 minutes). Combine cornstarch and 2 teaspoons water in a small bowl, and stir well. Add cornstarch mixture to juice mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in lime rind, 3 tablespoons lime juice, and red pepper.

4. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray over right burner (direct heat). Cover and grill for 5 minutes on each side, basting occasionally with juice mixture. Move the chicken to grill rack over left burner (indirect heat). Cover and grill an additional 5 minutes on each side or until done, basting occasionally.
    Note:

If you would rather not use tequila, you can substitute 1/3 cup pineapple juice. Start the grilling over direct heat to get good grill marks and charred bits, and then move to indirect heat to gently finish the cooking.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving

Calories: 241
    Fat: 7.6g
    Saturated fat: 2.1g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
    Protein: 18g
    Carbohydrate: 17.2g
    Fiber: 0.4g
    Cholesterol: 64mg
    Iron: 1.2mg
    Sodium: 374mg
    Calcium: 19mg
  • Brie4me
    Pork Patties with Plum Sauce and Napa Cabbage Slaw

Asian seasonings jazz up these mini pork burgers. We add bulgur to the patties to stretch the ground pork and keep saturated fat in check.

Cooking Light JUNE 2012

Yield: Serves 6 (serving size: 2 patties, 1 cup slaw, and 2 tablespoons sauce)
    Hands-on:48 Minutes
    Total:48 Minutes

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped plums (about 1/2 pound)
    1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
    1 cup boiling water
    1/2 cup uncooked bulgur
    1 1/2 pounds ground pork, 80% lean
    1 cup diagonally cut green onions, divided
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided

2 tablespoons dry sherry
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon salt, divided
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Cooking spray
    6 cups shredded napa (Chinese) cabbage (about 1/2 large head)
    3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon dark sesame oil

Preparation

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Place plum mixture in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.

2. Combine 1 cup boiling water and bulgur in a medium bowl; cover and let stand 20 minutes. Drain well. Combine bulgur, pork, 1/2 cup onions, 1/4 cup cilantro, sherry, garlic, ginger, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Divide pork mixture into 12 equal portions, gently shaping each into a 3/4-inch-thick patty. Press a nickel-sized indentation in center of each patty. Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 6 patties to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until done. Repeat with remaining 6 patties.

3. Combine remaining onions, remaining cilantro, remaining salt, cabbage, vinegar, and oil; toss gently to coat. Serve patties with slaw; drizzle with plum sauce.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving

Calories: 296
    Fat: 10.8g
    Saturated fat: 4.1g
    Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
    Protein: 25.4g
    Carbohydrate: 24.1g
    Fiber: 4.2g
    Cholesterol: 85mg
    Iron: 0.7mg