Best GPS for Biking

Options
lilpoindexter
lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
I bought a Pyle Sports GPS off Amazon because it was the cheapest GPS they had. It is supposed to use some "sport tracks" software to download my ride data. It isn't very intuitive. I think I want tor replace it.

What GPS do you recommend that has easy to use software for tracking my rides.

Replies

• goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    I guess it comes down to budget.

I used to use the mapmyride app (free) on my phone for a while - but the moment it crashed half way through the ride and lost all my data I decided to ditch it.

Now I use a Garmin Edge 800 - lovely bit of kit - its been superseded now by the 810.

I can't compare it to any others as I haven't used any but I am more than happy with the Garmin so far in the 700+ miles I've used it this year.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    As 'goonas' said, the Garmin 800/810 or 500/510 are awesome bits of kit; perhaps something to aspire too? I use my iPhone in a Wahoo Bike Case, with Wahoo Speed, Cadence and Heart Rate Monitor with the Cyclemeter app and it works well for me. Alternatively, (or if you have an Android phone) I believe you can use Endomondo, with will link directly with your MFP profile...

There are loads of options using a Smartphone; the world is your oyster :wink:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    if you want "in ride" mapping and "turn by turn" as well as all the training bells and whistles, then it's the Garmin 810 - for something smaller, more compact and lighter (i.e. for the performance minded) then I guess its the 510.

As with pretty much everything Garmin releases however, the firmware out of the box is "beta test" at best... I think it took patches into double figures before the 800 became stable, and I doubt the 810 will be any better. At least they DID get the 800 largely workable, unlike the 705 before it, which has pretty much been abandoned now, and never did get completely stable.
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Lack of budget puts me on my smartphone.

MapMyRide.

supposed to be able to upload data and download routes with some Garmin devices.

My old (deceased) Polar uploaded data to their website, for tracking distance, heartrate, cadence.

Later.. bye
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I just download some free apps to my *** smartphone & use it as a GPS device (Strava - as many of you find me there:glasses: ) plus a hand-me-down hundreds years old Polar because I'm so broke.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If I had to only use my smartphone then it would be endomondo with my data files also exported to Ride With GPS. In fact, that was my formula until I could afford a Garmin. I found MapMyRide to be crash-prone as well on my Android based phones.

Knowing what I know now, I would have found a way to come up for the Garmin 500 pack much, much sooner. With the 500 pack I got the Garmin 500 head unit, one cadence sensor, one heart rate monitor, and two bike mounts. Except for the Cadence sensor, I am know able to use the Garmin on ALL THREE of my bikes! That make it worth the money IMO. The Garmin speed from GPS is rather accurate and I have not splurged for the extra speed/cadence sensor on any of my other bikes.

The Garmin 800 series are really nice but the 500 does everything I need except when I start getting into 12+ hour rides and then I'll have to learn how to re-charge the 500 while riding.
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I moved from a Garmin Forerunner 310 XT (watch) with much of the same functionality as the Edge 500) to the Garmin Edge 810, and could not be happier. I love the large screen and ability to track lots of data/readings, the map/route functionality. My family likes the "live tracking" feature which connects the Garmin to my phone via bluetooth and allows them to track me en-route.
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I moved from a Garmin Forerunner 310 XT (watch) with much of the same functionality as the Edge 500) to the Garmin Edge 810, and could not be happier. I love the large screen and ability to track lots of data/readings, and the map/route functionality. My family likes the "live tracking" feature which connects the Garmin to my phone via bluetooth and allows them to track me en-route.
  • harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Just ordered the new Garmin 510 bundle from Chainreaction and cant wait to get it
    I am not looking mapping, just something to track my progress and give me a complete training log

Up until now I have only been using Strava on my iphone and using a polar ft7 to record heart rate.
    Using the Gps on the phone has let me down now on a few of my longer rides as it drains the battery quickly leaving me with incomplete activity its also not good if you end up in an emergency without a phone
    (thats my excuse for spending anyway ;)
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you got the budget and want maps then the Garmin Edge 800 is the bomb. If you don't want maps I would suggest going for the 500.

The newer models of both these devices, the 810 specially, seem to be plagued by problems at the moment and personally I would stay clear of them for now.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    If you got the budget and want maps then the Garmin Edge 800 is the bomb. If you don't want maps I would suggest going for the 500.

The newer models of both these devices, the 810 specially, seem to be plagued by problems at the moment and personally I would stay clear of them for now.

What problems is the 810 suffering from? I was considering upgrading to the 810 from the 800 (mainly because I like to have the latest gear) but will definitely hold off if there are some bad issues.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I started using mapmyride but had problems with it soon now using strava which is a better app
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options

What problems is the 810 suffering from? I was considering upgrading to the 810 from the 800 (mainly because I like to have the latest gear) but will definitely hold off if there are some bad issues.

I've heard of a lot of problems when using them with a power meter. Not sure if that's what he's referring to.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I love my 500. Sometimes on overcast days the GPS goes in and out, but otherwise no complaints.
  • Strangelyinsane
    Strangelyinsane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm using runtastic and for my limited needs it works fine. I'm really only looking for a mileage log with calorie counter. I'm not in 'training' for anything so monitoring my times and speeds is not very important. I've loaded Strava on my phone but haven't got it set up yet. I'd like to graduate to a dedicated GPS but that's not in the budget. I've got my eye on a Surly LHT first!
  • chelleb1974
    chelleb1974 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A quick question for those using smartphones. How long does your battery last? I started using a free app on my smartphone last year, but after a few hours of riding the battery was nearly dead. How do you get around that?

~Chelle
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your budget and what features matter to you. Honestly using your smart phone with a couple of the free apps, and google maps you are covered for the basic stuff. You can load routes on your google maps, have your phone give you turn by turn navigation (assuming you're on the road). You can use something like Strava, Endomondo, or any other number of apps to track yourself and keep it all recorded online.

If you want a purpose built unit that's where you have to decide how much you want to spend, what features you want, and how much flexibility you want.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    A quick question for those using smartphones. How long does your battery last? I started using a free app on my smartphone last year, but after a few hours of riding the battery was nearly dead. How do you get around that?

~Chelle

I'm using Strava on my GS3 and (YMMV) after a 4 hour ride using it and music, battery was down to about 50%. This was with pretty much everything on as well...going to try paring it way back to see how long I get. Plus, that's why I got the GS3 - replaceable battery so if I get to taking looonngg rides can carry a spare.
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options

~Chelle

I have used my GS3 with Endomondo for 3-4 hour rides, no music, no mobile data and had plenty of battery, some random texts/calls, pics etc..but never worried about the battery.