Laughed at progress :(

Options
msuspartan10
msuspartan10 Posts: 72 Member
One of my coworkers asked how my training for my 5k was going. I just finished week 1 day 2 and was able to jog for three straight minutes in the free form run. This is a first and I was excited so I told him so. He said, 'that's it?' and laughed. I'm more than a little bummed. I've never in my life done any kind of distance and this was a big deal but it really felt like it didn't mean anything. I know the best course is not to talk about it but I wasn't expecting that reaction. Has anyone surprised you with negative response to what you thought was good progress?

Replies

• dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    F*** him.

Okay, that was crude, and I apologize if anyone was offended, but really? Seriously? He has absolutely no right to belittle or ridicule you in any. No one does. Ever.

I know ignoring him is more easily said than done, but the important thing to remember is that regardless of the meaning behind those words, they ultimately don't matter. What matters is that you have made progress, and that running for three full minutes is a great improvement from where you were when you started out. Actually, that is more than progress, that is progress to be proud of. You have bragging rights, and anyone who doesn't see that, is someone it's not worth your time to share your progress with.

I just finished week 7 this weekend, but I still remember week 3 and how much those three minutes hurt the first few times I tried to do them, and how proud I was when I eventually managed. (It will be a very long time before I forget how badly that burned my lungs...) Don't let ignorant and thoughtless people take that great feeling away from you, and don't let them stop you from talking about it. Just don't talk about it with them. ;)
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Look at it from his point of view. 3 minutes of running really doesn't sound like a stretch. That is unless you're actually doing it. Now some people are naturally athletic and will run that 3 minutes easily. The other people just never have tried.
    I'm guessing he was genuinely surprised by that 3 minutes.

I had something similar the first time my father came and cheered at my second 5k. I was just happy to finish the thing in 38 minutes without much walking. His response? "38 minutes? really? 38 minutes? Are you sure? Can you even take 38 minutes to walk that thing? I thought a normal time would be around 20 minutes. You sure you didn't do the 10k? 38 minutes for 5k no way, no one takes that long." He did this not to be nasty, but because he only watches running on the tv, and well if you only see athletes run the 5k in under 15 minutes you just can't get your head to understand 18.

So, I explained to him, and I suggest you explain the same thing to your colleague, that for me 38 minutes was a good time. That yes, there are faster people, but that all I really wanted to hear from him was "well done!" or "great that you can run a 5k".

Now your colleague is interested enough to ask about your running training. I wouldn't dismiss that just because they made a not understanding remark. Try and explain that 3 minutes is hard for you, but you're making progress. Especially add that the training program you're doing is expecting you to do 3 minutes in week 2, so it's actually a pretty ok point to be at right now.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    Look at it from his point of view. 3 minutes of running really doesn't sound like a stretch. That is unless you're actually doing it. Now some people are naturally athletic and will run that 3 minutes easily. The other people just never have tried.
    I'm guessing he was genuinely surprised by that 3 minutes.

I had something similar the first time my father came and cheered at my second 5k. I was just happy to finish the thing in 38 minutes without much walking. His response? "38 minutes? really? 38 minutes? Are you sure? Can you even take 38 minutes to walk that thing? I thought a normal time would be around 20 minutes. You sure you didn't do the 10k? 38 minutes for 5k no way, no one takes that long." He did this not to be nasty, but because he only watches running on the tv, and well if you only see athletes run the 5k in under 15 minutes you just can't get your head to understand 18.

So, I explained to him, and I suggest you explain the same thing to your colleague, that for me 38 minutes was a good time. That yes, there are faster people, but that all I really wanted to hear from him was "well done!" or "great that you can run a 5k".

Now your colleague is interested enough to ask about your running training. I wouldn't dismiss that just because they made a not understanding remark. Try and explain that 3 minutes is hard for you, but you're making progress. Especially add that the training program you're doing is expecting you to do 3 minutes in week 2, so it's actually a pretty ok point to be at right now.

You are so much nicer than I am... :)
  • msuspartan10
    Options
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it. It's been frustrating because I haven't been able to be consistent with the training (I have two jobs and have to go straight from one to the other) so I was really happy to see the progress I had. I signed up for a 5k the second weekend in June and I really wanted to be able to run the whole thing but I'm not progressing as quickly as I had hoped. Sorry, I am rambling. Thanks again for the encouragement!
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options

haha I'm with you... Fark him!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it. It's been frustrating because I haven't been able to be consistent with the training (I have two jobs and have to go straight from one to the other) so I was really happy to see the progress I had. I signed up for a 5k the second weekend in June and I really wanted to be able to run the whole thing but I'm not progressing as quickly as I had hoped. Sorry, I am rambling. Thanks again for the encouragement!

I concur *bleep* him. Does he go out there and jog? I'm up to 40 sec stretches and I'm dang proud of that. 3 minutes? I hope to get that far some day, congratulations! You be proud of your progress, you could be making up excuses to not do it because you have 2 jobs. So you're not consistant, pffft, you're still doing it. You've still got a whole month, and not everyone runs the entire 5k. Heck at this point I'd be happy just to finish it. Yes, be proud of your progress, and next time someone scoffs at you, ask them to join you. Bet you they won't.
  • msuspartan10
    Options
    Thank you :) It's a big help that I have a soccer night every Thursday so even if I can't do the ZR days, I'm still getting exercise.
    Congrats on your 40 seconds! Endurance is hard, yo.
  • msuspartan10
    Options
    I just asked my coworker about it again. He was more surprised because I do play soccer and expected better. I guess that's a compliment but still, c'mon man lol.
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    I just asked my coworker about it again. He was more surprised because I do play soccer and expected better. I guess that's a compliment but still, c'mon man lol.

That falls back into the 'endurance' topic. I'm pretty sure nobody Runs for long periods of time without stop while playing soccer after work (Not knocking the sport, I couldn't do it!).
    I'm fine on the spurts of running. But, those 5 minute runs... forget me. I have made 3 minutes a few times, but I'm not even close to seeing any consistency in patching together minutes. It's frustrating.
  • msuspartan10
    Options
    That's what I said, too. I can do short sprints, especially if I have a target to focus on (soccer ball/opposing player/etc), but to just run is really difficult.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    He obviously isnt a runner...I have friends that can do a 20 minute 5K..and if I tell them I can run 3 minutes straight..they would be giving me major kudos.

This guy has no idea how hard it is to run..screw him..
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    I'm just going to repeat what I said earlier, just don't talk to people like this about your running progress. If they're not runners, chances are they won't get it anyway, because they don't know how hard it is to run, or how hard it is to stick with the something like a 5K program once you've started it. Getting those three workouts done regularly each week takes discipline, never more than on days when the weather isn't the greatest and you really, really don't want to get out there at all.

And for the record, getting your lazy butt out there on days when everything was conspiring against you and sheer force of will was the only thing that made you lace up your shoes and walk out the door, that is one of the greatest accomplishments of all.

So no, don't bother talking to people who don't understand, because they don't understand.

But do talk to other runners. One of the greatest sources of both information and encouragement for me when I first started out with the Z5K app was a family member who has been a runner for years and years (so we will probably never be even close to in the same league as far as running goes). He did a half-marathon recently. But as mgmlap said, on the rare occasions when I mention my progress to him I get major kudos each time.
  • sarannakitten
    Options
    Well, I'll give you major kudos. I'm out of shape, and my muscle type is mostly sprint, lift weights, etc. I'm redoing week 1 (getting my joints used to this) and have yet to be able to run the free run! Still, I'm really going to try to run part of it next run!!! :)

So, KUDOS!!!
  • nytefalle
    nytefalle Posts: 63
    Options

haha I'm with you... Fark him!

Yeah, I'm with these guys :D

He asked how you were doing on something. You tell him you're excited to have accomplished x & he is dismissive when you JUST SAID how excited you were. That's the sort of thing that makes me try hard to keep from going all stabbity-stabbity on his face or kicking him in the shins.

I agree with dragon1ady...don't bother discussing your training with him. If he asks again, go with, "it's going well" and leave it at that. You're doing awesome & don't need to be dragged down insensitive comments from the peanut gallery.
  • msuspartan10
    Options
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. He's usually a really nice and funny guy, that's why I was surprised.
    I'm really glad I found this group, it's nice to have some support for the small victories. My BF does hockey and is very active so to him 3 minutes isn't a lot so I can tell he's trying not to be like *shrug* when I tell him stuff like this.
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    ~~~ All Stabity Stabity ~~~ hahahaha

One good thing came from this... we all learned that running for minutes on end is HARD... it's not just one of us having the challenge. I for one am glad to know this. I really thought it was just me!

So, next time he asks, tell him we all thank him for his inspiration. ;)
  • nytefalle
    Options
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. He's usually a really nice and funny guy, that's why I was surprised.
    I'm really glad I found this group, it's nice to have some support for the small victories. My BF does hockey and is very active so to him 3 minutes isn't a lot so I can tell he's trying not to be like *shrug* when I tell him stuff like this.

When I tell my former military, lifts heavy things all day at work husband about the huge to me accomplishments, I gently prompt him by saying subtle things like, "This is a big deal. Worship me now!"
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    So, next time he asks, tell him we all thank him for his inspiration. ;)

LOL!

Qualifier to my earlier statement: I run way, way more than my better half, but I still expect him to be impressed by my Z5K accomplishments. Phrasing them along the lines of "I could never do this before!" or "compared to two weeks ago...!" helps our near and dear ones understand, I think. :)

And to be fair to my dear husband, he is very good at the encouragement part. He brag about my running to the rest of the family. :)
  • nytefalle
    Options
    Phrasing them along the lines of "I could never do this before!" or "compared to two weeks ago...!" helps our near and dear ones understand, I think. :)

I tend to say things like, "I ran my fastest..." or "Today was my best..." when I tell my family about my accomplishments. I'm guaranteed a high five from my husband, which amuses me to no end.
  • msuspartan10
    Options
    You guys are awesome.
    BF has run with me before so he KNOWS where I was at. I hate having to prompt him but I'll take my kudos TYVM lol.

lol @ 'gently prompt him by saying subtle things like, "This is a big deal. Worship me now!" '