Heavy lifting and PCOS

Options
purplegoboom
purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
The recent thread body shaming women who lift heavy had me concerned and a little sad, especially because of the OP implying that it's especially bad for women with PCOS because we will "bulk up" easier.

This is not true,at all. This is harmful misinformation that I've seen not just here, but all over the internet. Even with the increase of male androgens with PCOS, it's just not possible for women to bulk up unless we're eating at a caloric surplus or taking steroids. In fact, it's actually highly reccomended women with PCOS lift heavy because this will actually help to DECREASE the excess of male hormones in your system, as well as increase glycogen breakdown which will help with prediabetics/diabetics.

Men themselves cannot even bulk up without adding in significant calories, and even then, it can take months to years for them to see visible added muscle mass. You cannot add a pound of muscle in a week, it's just not possible.

I have seen so much improvement since I've been lifting heavy along with my cardio compared to before when I was just doing cardio. I've had four regular cycles thus far, my skin is clearer and brighter, I have way more energy, and no, I am not bulking up at all.

Any other PCOSers that lift heavy and have seen improvements?

Replies

• kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    When I was playing softball growing up my dad had me on a heavy lifting regime (he is a trainer). I had to quit while I was in highschool b/c i was gaining so much muscle mass! I put my brother to shame. I wasn't eating a surplus of calories and in fact had a hard time eating enough to stay in a healthy range b/c I was burning so many calories at that time (4 or more, 3 hour softball practices a week and 10-15 games on the weekends every week). I am just curious what might have caused that for me. Any ideas? My nick name started to be the Mac Truck (my name is Mackenzie) it was so bad. I was always around a size 8 and I am 5'4". I have a bone frame the size equivalent for a medium male structure. When I had my blood tests done I had more testosterone in my system than a teenage boy my age. Is that possibly the cause? I am scared to try it again and get the same results. I already have arms that won't fit in clothes. I don't need to bust out like hulk lol.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I had to be coaxed into lifting by some of my male friends. I was so worried about testosterone! But I have seen so many positive changes! No increase in my PCOS symptoms - in fact, my cycle has stabilized to be about 30-32 days (I didn't get a period at all for seven months at one point last year). I now have nice shape in my arms and legs but still a lot of fat to lose - I am getting there! I asked my doctor about it and he said lifting is great for PCOS.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Also, I wanted to add I just had blood work and my sugar was down to 84 (from over 100 before) and cholesterol, triglycerides, etc. all excellent. Blood pressure is nice and low. I feel great!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Yep! I have PCOS and am insulin resistant as well. My doctor prescribed Metformin and birth control pills. Metformin was a definite NO for me. I felt awful and didn't want it. I stayed with the BC pills for a bit, but wanted off those as well. I really don't like the idea of ingesting exogenous hormones. I'm not on any meds at this time.

Changing my diet was super helpful--I had to really limit carbs and the sort of carbs, specifically. Found out I was gluten intolerant and stuff, but after cutting out the bread and grains and keeping a lid on the carbs, I finally was able to lose some weight.

After losing a bit of weight I started lifting heavy again, which is something I really enjoyed before I had PCOS, so it wasn't weird to me to go back to it, nor was it like I took it up specifically to help with PCOS. I did it because it's the sort of exercise I most enjoy doing. I didn't know what would happen, really. I heard it would increase insulin sensitivity, and YES. It absolutely does. It has also helped balance my hormones.

I have quite regular cycles: 26-28 days, my acne which can get really bad is pretty much gone now. My moods are even, blood sugar is great. I'm down 90 lbs from my highest weight of 265...60 pounds of that since July 2012 when I changed my diet and started exercising.

I've been back to lifting since end of October/beginning of Nov. I took two months off and started back up in March, so I've been lifting a total of 4 months. I'm not "bulky" or looking like The Hulk, lol. My body fat % is a little over 30%, so I'm still "bulky" in the true sense of the word--carrying too much fat.

Regarding high testosterone, no...you will not get bulky or hulkish if you are eating at maintenance or a deficit. You would need to be eating at a caloric surplus--lots of food--and purposely trying to get big muscles. It won't happen unless you want it to!

Consider this....how many Oprah shows have you seen about women who lifted heavy and are now stuck with huge ugly muscles they do not want? ZERO, right? Don't you suppose if this was a real problem, Oprah would do a show about it? Or we'd see lots of sad women's magazine articles about OMG I GOT SO BULKY FROM TOUCHING A BARBELL! HALLLP!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Never happens, and never will. If you don't like the look of your muscles, either put on some body fat to make you look "soft", or don't lift heavier weights. Stop progressing the weights and just stay at whatever and lift that.
  • purplegoboom
    Options
    When I was playing softball growing up my dad had me on a heavy lifting regime (he is a trainer). I had to quit while I was in highschool b/c i was gaining so much muscle mass! I put my brother to shame. I wasn't eating a surplus of calories and in fact had a hard time eating enough to stay in a healthy range b/c I was burning so many calories at that time (4 or more, 3 hour softball practices a week and 10-15 games on the weekends every week). I am just curious what might have caused that for me. Any ideas? My nick name started to be the Mac Truck (my name is Mackenzie) it was so bad. I was always around a size 8 and I am 5'4". I have a bone frame the size equivalent for a medium male structure. When I had my blood tests done I had more testosterone in my system than a teenage boy my age. Is that possibly the cause? I am scared to try it again and get the same results. I already have arms that won't fit in clothes. I don't need to bust out like hulk lol.

Hey, sorry I'm replying late to this, I typed this at work and right afterward I went to get my hair done. I don't have much time now before I have to leave again, but I'll try to be helpful. :)

It could have been a few different things. For one thing, you were a teenager and still growing. For instance, are you taller now than you were when you were lifting heavy? That may have something to do with the "bulky" appearance you had as a teen, oftentimes before a growth spurt it will appear as if kids put on weight. It may have also been you had a big layer of fat over the muscle giving you a bulky appearance. I don't know your medical history, though, only a doctor will really be able to tell you for sure. But keep in mind you were a teen and your body was different then than it is now, if you have serious concerns you should talk to a doctor who specializes in PCOS (like a reproductive endrocrinologist).

I have my doubts about it being pure muscle, though, because if it were you would still look pretty much the same now (I see your profile says you are really young, so not too much time has passed between your weightlifting days and now? Correct me if I'm wrong.) and still active. Muscles that are used often don't shrink in my experience. :smile:
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I have seen so much improvement since I've been lifting heavy along with my cardio compared to before when I was just doing cardio. I've had four regular cycles thus far, my skin is clearer and brighter, I have way more energy, and no, I am not bulking up at all.

I too have experienced this from heavy lifting! First time EVER getting 2 consecutive periods, exactly 1 month after the other. And that is after being amenorrheic for 20 months...

I also eliminated Gluten, started eating more & started taking Iodine and hormone function supplements.
  • boxem180
    boxem180 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy since June/July when I was diagnosed with PCOS/IR and put on Metformin. All it's done is help me feel better. I'm still overweight but I feel powerful and confident. I know that is all due to working out. :)
  • purplegoboom
    Options

I too have experienced this from heavy lifting! First time EVER getting 2 consecutive periods, exactly 1 month after the other. And that is after being amenorrheic for 20 months...

I also eliminated Gluten, started eating more & started taking Iodine and hormone function supplements.

Yep, I've also eliminated gluten completely, I have celiac disease but found it helped with my PCOS symptoms, too. I've also cut out soy and drastcially cut down on dairy.
  • Whirlagirl
    Whirlagirl Posts: 54
    Options
    I put on muscle easily, and also have received comments about my strength gains, which I chalk up to jealousy. PCOS probably plays a role in the ability to make gains easier than some other women, but shouldn't body type and genetics play as equally important part? Your dad is a trainer, he's also likely athletic and muscular, so look to genetics as well before you turn away from lifting.

My bff and I were discussing our inability to find jackets that fit because we both have PCOS and spent years on the swim team making our upper bodies really broad and muscular from tons of training. So yes, continuing to weight train will probably add more muscle, but bulky fat surrounding that muscle is a bigger issue. Imo, it would better to change your perception of beauty to a Dara Torres, Jillian Michaels, CrossFit athlete, or some other buff chick than to worry about how clothes fit. The more you lift, the more you will carve out an awesome shape that will enhance whatever you wear.
    Also, I wanted to add I just had blood work and my sugar was down to 84 (from over 100 before) and cholesterol, triglycerides, etc. all excellent. Blood pressure is nice and low. I feel great!
    Yep, I've had the same experience with positive physical and emotional results from lifting. :)
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I totally agree... when I'm strength training (I do kettlebell training, and have done lifting programs in the past), I feel so much more energetic, and my body changes shape quickly. The only thing is my muscles DO bulk quickly. Which sucks because I already have large arms, so my shirts don't fit as well!