How Many Calories Should You Be Eating?

Options
Holy Food! Per this Team Beachbody post - with a 20% deficit, I should be eating 1,900 calories with TurboFire as my exercise!

http://getatonedbody.com/uncategorized/how-many-calories-should-i-be-eating/

That sounded too good to be true because I LOVE FOOD so I tried the Scooby's Calculation that's been mentioned on MFP many many times.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

The results were only 8 calories lower!

I guess I'm pumping up my calories - I was only eating around 13-1400 :glasses:

Replies

• rachpetersen
    rachpetersen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have mine set for 1750...which is almost exactly what it says for the scooby workshop one...but I eat a lot of my exercise calories back on top of that because I am breastfeeding. I eat anywhere from 1500-2200 calories a day sometimes!!
  • erinjleslie
    erinjleslie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right - remember if you're using that number, then you don't log & eat back your exercise calories, because that's already accounted for.

I've adjusted my net goal so many times...now I've got it at 1620, and eat back some of my exercise calories - usually totalling between 1700-1900 per day.
    I also try really hard to meet all the macros - had to up my protein intake substantially but now I have WAY more energy!
  • xintothevoidxz
    Options
    Sounds about right - remember if you're using that number, then you don't log & eat back your exercise calories, because that's already accounted for.

I've adjusted my net goal so many times...now I've got it at 1620, and eat back some of my exercise calories - usually totalling between 1700-1900 per day.
    I also try really hard to meet all the macros - had to up my protein intake substantially but now I have WAY more energy!

I log my exercise calories, I just don't eat them :drinker:

I think the amount of calories I burned through my exercise gives me the motivation to keep pressing on. Sometimes I even wear my HRM watch to work displaying yesterday's burned calories to show me how well I did the day before :blushing:
  • erinjleslie
    erinjleslie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Agreed - I like logging my exercise calories, it's such a good motivator!
  • ErnieVandy
    ErnieVandy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm really not for sure how much or little I should be eating. I'm going to check now.
  • xintothevoidxz
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm really not for sure how much or little I should be eating. I'm going to check now.

No problem :) 1,900 calories was a lot for me so I set mine at a 25% deficit.
  • tara9blur
    tara9blur Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh my god! Per the first site, I should be eating about 2,300 per day, and the second site says I should eat over 2,700! I have a lot of weight to lose, and my diet has been out of control the last few weeks as I've been in the US visiting family. Next week we head back home, and I am planning to crack down on my diet! I don't want to starve myself, but I DO want to lose weight and see some results!
  • tara9blur
    tara9blur Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Okay, I re-did my math, and found that per the two websites quoted above, I should be netting about 2,200 calories per day, with exercise. But, if I understand correctly, as @erinjleslie said, then I should NOT eat back my calories per the MFP site, because they're accounted for in the above calculations.

So should I set my goal on MFP to 2,200? Or should I set it to 2,200 LESS my expected daily exercise, something like 1,800, then eat back the calories on MFP? Sorry, I know this is probably a really basic question, but I'm trying to figure out how many calories I should really be eating so I can finally start losing weight! (I've been doing TurboFire for over 8 weeks now!!!!)