Weight Gain

Options
CaitCock
CaitCock Posts: 8 Member
My son had MSPI. In January I began adding small amounts of dairy back in, when he was 8 months old (and at the same time he began solids). I began gaining weight around that time. I've been assuming that it's because I was eating too much (giving myself credit for 400 calories a day). In March, I also began couch25k. Two weeks ago, I began weight lifting.
I bought a fitbit,and am going to only give myself credit for -300 calories a day.

In December, 7 months Postpartum, I weighed 169.8 (I was down 38 lbs). I now weigh 179 lbs after my weight has crept up slowly in the last four months.

I thought maybe I was eating too much, until I left my baby at home for the weekend. I realize that I have been making 27 oz a day still.

Lately I've been kind of disappointed in myself, and eating too much because I feel like "What's the point?" Prior to all this, I kept a paleo diet (mostly to avoid passing baby as many toxins as possible). I know I should mostly be proud to have never given my baby a drop of formula (and he is almost 1!!!) However, I am really frustrated in this saggy belly that I've developed. I don't know if I should be drastically cutting calories, or adding more in.

I feel like I should keep avoiding dairy, for my weight loss. I can make up the calcium in almond milk and greens.

Replies

• CaitCock
    CaitCock Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In December, 7 months Postpartum, I weighed 169.8 (I was down 38 lbs). I now weigh 179 lbs after my weight has crept up slowly in the last four months.

[snip]

I thought maybe I was eating too much, until I left my baby at home for the weekend. I realize that I have been making 27 oz a day still.

Lately I've been kind of disappointed in myself, and eating too much because I feel like "What's the point?" Prior to all this, I kept a paleo diet (mostly to avoid passing baby as many toxins as possible). I know I should mostly be proud to have never given my baby a drop of formula (and he is almost 1!!!) However, I am really frustrated in this saggy belly that I've developed. I don't know if I should be drastically cutting calories, or adding more in.

Any advice from other moms who hit weight loss road blocks with an older baby?

BUMP
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    When I had my first son I produced about 20 oz from 8 months-14 months so less than you. I also gained weight which I thought was so odd. Turns out I had way to many calories. When I increased exercise and decreased calories the weight came off quickly. I wish I could help more but all I can tell you is that for me... I was eating too many calories. I counted the BF as 300 calories but I don't think that my exercise was as many as I counted and I ate back all of those calories.
  • lilymaeblue
    lilymaeblue Posts: 14
    Options
    I could use some friends...new here. And BF too
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    It's so frustrating because everyone tells you that BFing is the key to postpartum weight loss, and for some of us, it's just not. I didn't do so hot on BFing when my son was born, and I ended up gaining weight trying to make sure I ate enough to support my pathetic supply. (I lost 25 lbs immediately postpartum and then gained about 6 back until I started MFP two months postpartum.)

You are still making quite a bit of breastmilk, so it doesn't sound like you are overestimating your calorie expenditure for that, but maybe you just need to experiment with lowering your calories and seeing how that affects your weight loss and your supply. I am 37+ weeks pregnant now and plan on EBFing if I can, so my plan is to go no lower than 1800 calories/day but basically to play with my calorie intake (increasing/decreasing by 100 calories/day for a week at a time) in order to try to find the "sweet spot" where I am still losing weight (even slowly, if need be) but also have a good supply.

Otherwise, take a good look at whether you are really eating what you're logging. I'm not trying to accuse you of anything, but I know I can get a bit lax on that front and have what I log as 1TBSP of peanut butter when I'm really having 2TBSP...

Anyway, I hope that makes sense, and I hope you can figure it out! If you do, let us know, since I'm sure a lot of us can learn from your experience!

Edited for clarity
  • TaraRyaz
    TaraRyaz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been breast feeding for 1 year & 3 months and have not lost a pound of my pregnancy weight gain. I think it's because of the following-

1. Breast feeding is a sedentary activity
    2. Breast feeding makes me really ravenously thirsty and I had been drinking to many calorie laden juices before I started monitoring myself more closely.
    3. Breast feeding causes some animals to retain body fat- I realized this when I visited a zoo a few months back and saw a monkey that I thought was pregnant. When I asked when she was due the zookeeper told me she wasn't pregnant, but was breast feeding and would remain "pregnant looking" till she stopped breast feeding. I think I'm like that monkey.

I am hoping that once I stop breast feeding the weight falls off. Hopefully the same for you. I've been working hard with no results.