Kratos? What game are you playing?

Options
EMJenkinson
EMJenkinson Posts: 22 Member
So, last night I purchased a PS3 remote at Gamestop. I got home, went to play God of War, and found that the X button was stuck. So I returned it. When I informed the associate that the remote was defective, he looked at me in disbelief. I responded with this:

"Yes. Kratos won't stop jumping and attacking. I paused the game, and can't even get out of the start menu because of the X button."

His response? "Kratos? What game are you playing?"

I wasn't even sure how to respond to that...

So, what are your most awkward/fail gameshopping stories?

Replies

• DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If you want to go WAY back, it was when Zelda II: Adventure of Link came out and Toys r Us didn't have any due to a "microchip shortage." I about cried that day. There was no Internet, just Nintendo Power. :)

Fortunately, a couple days later they managed to get TWO copies AND when I called, they agreed to hold one for me for 20 minutes (got to love the old days). After begging my mom and promising to do chores and sell my soul, she quickly drove me down there to pick it up.

More recently, there was the time I went into Gamestop and the employee argued with me that there was no difference between HDMI and composite cables. Later in the conversation I found out that he "gamed" on an non-HD 19" TV. Seriously . . .
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    *headmeetsdesk* Yeah.....yeah....okay. Sorry just need a moment here......No. *headmeetsdeskrepeatedly*
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    This wasn't a gaming story employee but it was a game story patron in line behind us and his ignorance was unbelievable.

My buddies and I were talking about "The Lord of the Rings" video games while we were in line. Someone we did not know heard our conversation and said "What is Lord of the Rings?" We all laughed assuming he was joking.

I tried to give him a chance for clarification. I said, "Do you mean you are not a fan or are you saying that you actually haven't heard of it?"

He said, "I haven't heard of it at all."

My friend said, "So do your parents chain you to the wall of your basement or do they just lock the door? Is it rare that they let you out in to the world like this?"

I could not help but laugh but in an effort to be civil I said, "I am sorry but it is just hard to believe. I think I would have an easier time finding someone who has never heard of Joe Biden then I would finding someone that hasn't heard of The Lord of the RIngs."

He then responded with "Who is Joe Biden?" Thankfully we were close enough to the front of the line that our conversation ended but I think this guy was either messing with us or he was going for a gold metal in "Fail."
  • EMJenkinson
    Options
    Oh man, both epic! HDMI and composite.... man.

My stories are actually short, mostly because I'm entirely ignored when I walk into a GameStop normally. In fact, when we went to trade in my system and games, the associate entirely ignored me until I clarified that the system did not belong to my boyfriend.

On another note, I did walk into a GameStop once and the manager looked at me, narrowed his eyes slightly, and then asked if I was another customer's daughter. Ironically, I had never gone in their with my father before, but he frequented it. Honestly, I don't even look like him...

I've also argued with someone about WoW until they were so heated they couldn't talk straight. :D I love making them mad.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    Options
    Ah, the ignoring of the girl. Because we can't possibly game or know what we're talking about unless it's HelloKittyAdevnetureLand. Bah. Yeah, I've gotten that to a fair few times. Like 75%. Silly people.
  • Vex325
    Vex325 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    After I got my first paycheck ever, I went on a mini shopping spree. One place I went was Gamestop. So I get up to the counter and the guy is ringing up the games and says, "Who are you buying these for?" It took me a second to process it and I replied, "Uh...myself?" He kind of chuckled a bit to himself and insisted my "boyfriend's birthday must be coming up." I told him he was either a terrible flirt or just ignorant as I grabbed my bag and started walking out. It's a shame. He was kind of cute.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I can understand a gamer assuming that an attractive female does not game because that is prevalent theme. I have been told by many people that the reason they don't game is they like sex too much. I have also had attractive women tell me rather directly that my being a gamer is a deal breaker for them. That said if a women tells me she is a gamer I am normally thrilled by the news. I am not sure what was going through this guys head. Perhaps he was denial.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    Options
    Or maybe it was his lame attempt at trying to find out if she had a boyfriend. >.< Silly clerk. Sigh. And don't game because they like sex? That's an interesting thesis someone told you. And I have been told by guys before that they're shocked I'm a gamer. More than once Ive been told "Shame the outside doesn't match the rest of the package" As if I shouldn't be a geeky gamer girl because of the way I look. Bah.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    short story, but when my bf and i were in line buying wow : cataclysm expansion when it came out (collector's edition!!), we had two copies. the clerk goes "oh who's the 2nd copy for?" his head swivels to me, i see his brain go "nah not for her" then he swivels back to my bf, who points at me, and i smile. cue clerk shock.

i love being the only girl in gaming stores. especially when i'm dressed like a girl instead of in PJ pants and a giant sweatshirt with a robot on the back which is my normal weekend attire.

side note, i love god of war. i am dying inside not having a ps3 and can't play ascension. oh well, i can always rip harpy heads off in 2.
  • EMJenkinson
    Options
    Haha, that's about the usual. As far as the not gaming because we like sex too much... Well, sometimes I'd rather play a video game tbch. :3 I think it annoys my boyfriend, actually. Haha.

Then there's the exact opposite of ignoring us gamer girls: the immediate hit-on. As if they expect us to have extremely low standards. >.<

I was called a mouse when I picked up Cata. I remember annoying the hell out of the guys in line in front of us because they were arguing over Assassin's Creed or something.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I think the people that told me they like sex too much were actually just making fun of me. They weren't saying that gaming would cut in to their time too much. They were saying that gamers are losers that women are not interested in. Since I had already stated to them that I was a gamer they were by extension telling me that I am a loser that women would not be interested in and they do not wish to be like me.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    Options
    I think the people that told me they like sex too much were actually just making fun of me. They weren't saying that gaming would cut in to their time too much. They were saying that gamers are losers that women are not interested in. Since I had already stated to them that I was a gamer they were by extension telling me that I am a loser that women would not be interested in and they do not wish to be like me.

Pfft, silly people. Gamers rock and I'd much rather date a gamer who understands my obsessi.....hobby, yeah, not obsession, sure. Ahem. Anyways, those people trying to get a dig in on you sucked. Just my two cents. Gamer guys = awesome and those people = idiots and jerks.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I am inclined to agree. I didn't lose sleep over it or anything like that. I thought that the dig was rather juvenile.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    Options
    Yeah, I just hate the stereotypes people perpetrate about gamers. Guy gamers never have sex girl gamers don't exist or aren't pretty or whatever. Ugh.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I can't say I appreciate the stereotypes either. That said I can understand why they exist. I have been to enough Magic The Gathering tournaments to see that you just don't see many women.

This is why Katt Gun is one of my favorite gamers of all time. Her gamer tag is Mystik and if you haven't heard of her you should definitely look her up. Not only is she a smoking hottie. She won the WCG ultimate gamer competition. She had to go head to head with a guy named Yaz and he was amazing.

Yaz recognized that she was great early on in the competition and he did everything he could to get rid of her by voting her up for elimination over and over again. Kat managed to survive elimination every single time and eventually Yaz had to face her himself and with everything tied up the final game was Halo which Kat was way better than Yaz at so she smoked him in a one sided landslide victory.

I was jumping up and down in my living room. Even coming in second would have been impressive but it was so great to see a hot female gamer win the whole thing and prove once and for all that it is the gamer's skill that matters and nothing else.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    Options
    She is amazing. I want to be her when I grow up. That competition was awesome. And 15-1 in Halo...total win. I love Halo and seeing not only an attractive female gamer playing it was awesome but her playing so darn well and winning so decisively.....gave me shivers. She totally rocks, I agree with you there.