Anyone know if Norway is vegan friendly?

Options
I'm going to Norway for a month, and I'm a little worried about staying a gluten free vegan on this trip. Any tips would be great.

Replies

• kkoltcz
    kkoltcz Posts: 30
    Options
    I've never been- are you staying in a hotel or rental? Will you have access to a kitchen? Worst case scenario you can grab fresh veggies and dressing and go green crazy for a month =/ . Maybe look up some raw vegan recipes for some things you can make anywhere? You may have to buy a basic knife, bowl, cutting board etc but I would bet you could make a lot even if you're staying in a hotel with only a bathroom sink.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I was in Stockholm and Copenhagen last fall and tried to keep vegan. Eating out I focused on ethic food and did okay. Traditional Nordic food isn't even that vegetarian friendly.

I definitely reverted back to my vegetarian ways with the dairy though for food we made. European cheese and yogurt is so much better I couldn't help myself, but I got right back on track when I came home.
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would suggest being as flexible with your diet as possible, and gracious and excited about everything. A part of experiencing a different culture is different food, which can mean being inconvenienced ... but also means good things, like new spice combinations.

You'll figure it out, though! You'll determine where your line between protesting and compromising is. Excitement and a good attitude will take you far. My German lover gave me a cookbook his Grandmother had handwritten, for Christmas, and literally all but three recipes (of ~40) contained meat ... and the other 3 contained egg, hahaha. You just have to laugh about it.

For now, just be prepared to compromise some if you must -- and look forward to your trip!
  • TheVeganFrenchie
    Options
    Maybe you're already gone but... I've been an exchange student in Norway for a year, two years ago. I wasn't vegan yet, so I did experienced everything they have to eat. Norwegian people eat fish or meat for almost every diner (this main meal in Norway is around 3 or 4 PM), they love cheese or what they call cheese (my French culture's rebelling on that, sorry) and they use whipped cream in a loooot of sweets for the coffee time.

If you're gluten free as well, you'll be glad to find this website: http://www.gluten-free-vegan-girl.com/ It's a norwegian girl who is gluten free and vegan (well, you saw the title by yourself I guess). Maybe she'll inspire you for your trip... Good luck!!